[comp.sys.mac] Interferon 2.0 Problem

David_Alan_Newman@cup.portal.com (05/31/88)

In an article Scott A. McIntyre at avalon@ssyx.ucsc.edu wrote:

> Where can I get the fabled Interferon 2.0?  I got version one from
> comp.binaries, but have not as of yet seen version two.  Either mail
> me the file, or lemme know where I can find it...thanks!

I doubled checked my copy of Interferon 2.0 to see if it was really
version 2.0, and yes, it is. I obtained my copy from BMUG BBS in
Berkeley, CA. There is a curious thing about the version number though.
When you run the program it says it's version 2.0 in the about box. The
Finder's 'Get Info' comment claims it's version 1.0!

In some pervious article, someone was speculating that the problem with
version 2.0 and LaserWriter drivers was the 'vers' resources. If this is
so, then why don't we see Interferon 2.0 complaining about all the
system files? [I'm assuming the problem only occurs with System 6.0 beta
& release LaserWriter driver files] Apple introduced the 'vers' resource
with System 6.0. Furthermore, out of curiosity, I added a 'vers' re-
source to the Laser Prep file from System 5.0 and found that Interferon
2.0 did not complain about it.

I can only concluded that it is some subtle bug in Interferon 2.0, since
my LaserWriter driver files show no signs of the 'Sneak' virius describ-
ed in Interferon's documentation.

Dave Newman

david_alan_newman@cup.portal.com