[comp.sys.mac] LaCie disk drives

hermitt@subway.dec.com (Tom Hermitt) (05/25/88)

Can anyone relate their experiences with Cirrus hard disks by LaCie?
I would like to know about reliability, noise level, etc.   Thanks.

--
Tom Hermitt        !subway.dec.com!hermitt

garth@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Garth Snyder) (05/25/88)

[ Eat me ]

    In article 8805242007.AA05647@decwrl.dec.com (Tom Hermitt) writes:

    Can anyone relate their experiences with Cirrus hard disks by LaCie?
    I would like to know about reliability, noise level, etc.  Thanks.

I've had a 60 M LaCie external for about seven months.  It is truly an
awesome piece of hardware, and is fairly quiet.  I would reccommend it
heartily.

At the time I bought mine it was the cheapest 60M on the market, I
think.  Now there are others cheaper, but not by much.

The original unit I was shipped did not work correctly.  LaCie replaced
it quickly.  The drive comes with a 1-year warranty, although I don't
expect to have to use it; it has been very reliable.

The driver software is incredibly good.

--------------------
Garth Snyder                 UUCP: seismo!hao!boulder!garth
Univ. of CO @ Boulder        ARPA: garth@boulder.colorado.edu
--------------------

mpease@cvedc.UUCP (Mark Pease) (05/28/88)

In article <8805242007.AA05647@decwrl.dec.com> hermitt@subway.dec.com (Tom Hermitt) writes:
>Can anyone relate their experiences with Cirrus hard disks by LaCie?
>I would like to know about reliability, noise level, etc.   Thanks.
>
>--
>Tom Hermitt        !subway.dec.com!hermitt

Well, I don't know about the HARDWARE that LaCie sells, but I have put there
drivers (called Silver Lining) on my home built SCSI drive, and I LOVE them!!

They allow you to have mutiple partitions on a single drive, or one partition
that covers mutiple drives. Each partition can have a password, can be mounted
at startup time or though a desk accessory later. There are mutiple modes the
drivers can use to access the drive (Normal Mac Read/Write, Blind Mac
Read/Write, Sliver Lining Read/Write, Sliver Lining Blind Read/Write). There
are drive test routines to help select witch mode to run in (as well as checking
the drive for correct opperation.)

Also included with the drivers is a Program (Driver overlay??) called
Silver Server that allows, when working with another mac with Silver Server,
to transfer files back and forth over a modem. Why is this different that, say,
kermit or xmodem you say? Well, the drive on the other mac is mounted just
like the one on your mac! When you double click on the disk icon for the other
mac, it open just like anyother disk. You can move files from one disk to
another, double click and execute a application from the remote disk, anything
you can do to a disk, you can do to the remote one!

I have yet to have any problems with the software, but I have not realy used
Silver Server yet. I recomend to any one that is building there own drive
(or for that matter, Siver Server/Silver Lining will install on most
Commercial drives.)

--
Mark Pease                      ..tektronix.csnet!ogcvax.uucp!cvedc!mpease
Computervision                  ..sun.arpa!cvbnet.uucp!cvedc!mpease

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (05/29/88)

In article <565@cats.cvedc.UUCP> mpease@cats.UUCP (Mark Pease) writes:
>In article <8805242007.AA05647@decwrl.dec.com> hermitt@subway.dec.com (Tom Hermitt) writes:

(quote from previous article deleted)

>Well, I don't know about the HARDWARE that LaCie sells, but I have put there
>drivers (called Silver Lining) on my home built SCSI drive, and I LOVE them!!

(some info deleted)

>I have yet to have any problems with the software, but I have not realy used
>Silver Server yet. I recomend to any one that is building there own drive
>(or for that matter, Siver Server/Silver Lining will install on most
>Commercial drives.)

The LaCie Silver Server/Silver Lining software sure sounds like it is more
useful and offers more varied capabilities than some of the utilities from
other drive manufacturers.  However, is it really legal to use this sort of
software on our homebrew drive or your drive from another company if you have
not purchased a LaCie drive and software?

Please note I am not accusing the above writer of anything; for all I know he
also owns a LaCie drive.  However, I'd like to raise this issue since the
recommendation has been made to use the LaCie software and I'd like to know,
should I be in the position someday to use the Silver Server/Silver Lining
software, if I could legally do so without buying it.

Jim

--

Jim -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)  {Standard disclaimer, nothin' fancy!}

briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (06/01/88)

>The LaCie Silver Server/Silver Lining software sure sounds like it is more
>useful and offers more varied capabilities than some of the utilities from
>other drive manufacturers.  However, is it really legal to use this sort of
>software on our homebrew drive or your drive from another company if you have
>not purchased a LaCie drive and software?
>
>I'd like to know, should I be in the position someday to use the Silver
Server/Silver Lining software, if I could legally do so without buying it.

No, you cannot use Silver Lining without buying "it."  "It," however, no longer
implies buying the drive.  When Silver Server came out, they packaged a disk
with Silver Server and Silver Lining together, and now sell it separately from
the drives.
--
-Brian Diehm     (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)
Tektronix, Inc.

mpease@cvedc.UUCP (Mark Pease) (06/01/88)

In article <710@lakesys.UUCP> macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) writes:
>In article <565@cats.cvedc.UUCP> mpease@cats.UUCP (Mark Pease) writes:
>>In article <8805242007.AA05647@decwrl.dec.com> hermitt@subway.dec.com (Tom Hermitt) writes:
>
>>Well, I don't know about the HARDWARE that LaCie sells, but I have put there
>>drivers (called Silver Lining) on my home built SCSI drive, and I LOVE them!!
>
>...  However, is it really legal to use this sort of
>software on our homebrew drive or your drive from another company if you have
>not purchased a LaCie drive and software?
>
>Jim

Well,
	I bought SS/SL from LaCie directly after seeing a demo of it (them?)
at the local user group general meeting. They will sell the software seperate
from there hardware, and the manual (as well as several buttons in the
software) states that it can be installed on other manufactures hardware.

	They had no problem selling me SS/SL, I told them up front that I was
putting it on drive.

By the way,
	My system is a 30M CDC drive with an Adaptec 4000A SCSI controller. I
told the people there that info as well. To use SS/SL on my disk, I first had
to have it formated. I used a PD formatter that came down the net sometime
ago.