[comp.sys.mac] Memory Prices for MAC-IIs

billo@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Bill O) (05/12/88)

Our staff here are getting quotes of about $500 for each megabyte of
add-on memory for our MAC-IIs.  This sounds like a lot to me.  I'm
interested in what kind of prices (outrageous or otherwise) other
people have paid for memory recently.

Bill O'Farrell, Northeast Parallel Architectures Center at Syracuse University
(billo@cmx.npac.syr.edu)

landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (05/12/88)

In article <481@cmx.npac.syr.edu> billo@cmx.npac.syr.edu (Bill O'Farrell) writes:
>Our staff here are getting quotes of about $500 for each megabyte of
>add-on memory for our MAC-IIs.  This sounds like a lot to me.  I'm
>interested in what kind of prices (outrageous or otherwise) other
>people have paid for memory recently.

Fry's is advertising 100nS (!) SIMMs for $549, I think.  These are faster
than you need for a Mac (even the II only requires 120nS), and they have
9 chips even though a Mac doesn't use the parity bit (i.e. the last chip
is wasted).  Overkill, but they're available today.

I saw another ad for under $300, but the type and speed were unspecified.

Me, I'll wait.

	Howard A. Landman
	landman@hanami.sun.com
	UUCP: sun!hanami!landman

Fabian_Fabe_Ramirez@cup.portal.com (06/01/88)

Bill,

PSI of Milpitas, CA is selling 1 Mb surface mounted CMOS SIMMs for $400 each.
The one that I got were Fujistu chips.  They purchase the chips and assemble
the SIMMs in Japan and then sell them here.  Price is a bit much, but I guess
that you have to pay a premium for surface mounted, CMOS SIMMs and for their
availability.

PSI (800) MAC-1PAC or in CA (408) 942-8188

Fabian Ramirez

fabian_fabe_ramirez@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian_fabe_ramirez