[comp.sys.mac] Hard disk problem -HELP!

hunt@atse.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (05/27/88)

Well, it finally happened.  My Mac II internal hard disk has a directory
structure error.  It is a PCPC IHD144 meg disk that had 13meg free on it, so it
is pretty full.

I was unpacking files downloaded to a folder.  Then in the Finder I tried to
open the folder and the Macsbug screen came up with a '1111 error' and nothing
else, Macsbug crashed too.  So I rebooted and tried to open the folder again
and blam, same thing.  I rebooted and told it to rebuild the desktop and after
2-3 minutes, blam same thing.  I booted a floppy and ran Dsik First Aid on the
disk and it found no errors, so I exited to Finder and it said the disk needed
minor repairs, I said proceed,  2-3 minutes in Blam, '1111 error'.

During all this time, the hard disk would boot, but say it needed repairs, so
I couldn't run with it.  Now, it won't boot.  The access light comes on at
the same increment as the flashing question mark icon, so it is trying.  If
I boot a floppy and run the PCPC SCSI tools program, it can read the disk. I
even installed a new driver on the disk, no boot.  Also, now Disk First Aid
and Finder dont even try to mount the disk, no "Disk need minor repairs" error.

What can I try now???

Phil Hunt

denbeste@bgsuvax.UUCP (William C. DenBesten) (05/28/88)

From article <8805271324.AA13160@decwrl.dec.com>, by hunt@atse.dec.com (Phil Hunt):
> Well, it finally happened.  My Mac II internal hard disk has a directory
> structure error.  It is a PCPC IHD144 meg disk that had 13meg free on it, so
> it is pretty full.

> I rebooted and told it to rebuild the desktop and after 2-3 minutes,
> blam same thing.  I booted a floppy and ran Dsik First Aid on the
> disk and it found no errors, so I exited to Finder and it said the disk
> needed minor repairs, I said proceed,  2-3 minutes in Blam, '1111 error'.
>
> During all this time, the hard disk would boot, but say it needed repairs, so
> I couldn't run with it.  Now, it won't boot.

If you do not have a current backup, I would recommend that you make
one now, if you can get a backup program to recognize the disk.  If
not, I would use whatever measures I could (such as disk first aid) to
make a copy of every file that you care about and you do not have a
current copy on a floppy.

I would recommend that you reformat the disk and then restore a
backup.  By reformatting the disk, you can be sure that the directory
structure on the disk is proper.  No other way makes me sure that the
directory structures are not corupt.

Next time, at the first sign of trouble, make a backup.  I mean even
before you tell it to rebuild the desktop, or replacing the SCSI
driver.  You would have probably had to skip that folder during the
backup, but you would then have the rest of the disk.  This is one of
the reasons that it is important to be able to specify folders that
shouldn't be backed up with a backup program.  The general idea is
that you want to make sure that you still have everything, just in
case.

I know that I sound like I am preaching, but... well.. err... I am
preaching.  Backups are the only reasonably sure way to recover bad
disks.  Make sure that you have a current backup.

--
          William C. DenBesten |       denbeste@bgsu.edu
      Dept of Computer Science | CSNET denbeste%andy.bgsu.edu@relay.cs.net

msurlich@faui44.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Matthias Urlichs ) (05/30/88)

In article <8805271324.AA13160@decwrl.dec.com> hunt@atse.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
> Well, it finally happened.  My Mac II internal hard disk has a directory
> structure error.  It is a PCPC IHD144 meg disk that had 13meg free on it,
> so it is pretty full.
>
> ... (putting files onto the HD, opening folder, CHASH) ...

The Desktop file is a resource file. A resource file holds a limited number
of resources. Every icon and Creator is a resource.
Therefore, when you opened your new folder, the Finder tried to put some
more icons into the Desktop file. An overflowing resource file results
in a spectacular crash on any Mac (APPLE: THIS IS A BUG!).

Rebuilding the Desktop, et al, has pretty much the same effect (the Finder
takes all icons it can find, and puts them all into the new Desktop file)
and so results in pretty much the same crash.
Unfortunately, there's no telling what went awry, so you'd better...

> What can I try now???

1) Get the Desktop Manager. It's located on every AppleShare Server
   installation disk but probably freely distributable (APPLE?).
   Put this into the System folder on your startup disk.
2) Erase the parameter RAM, which is probably the cause why your Mac can't find
   its HD. (Command-Shift-Option-Chooser)
   Set the HD to the Startup device (SE,II only)
3) Mount the HD, using your installer program. Better update the driver
   on the way.
4) When quitting, hold Option-Command and rebuild the Desktop file
   on the HD. Because you booted w/ the Desktop Manager, this will work.
5) Put the Desktop Manager into the System folder of your HD.
6) Using DiskTop (or something similar), take the Desktop file of a newly
   initialized floppy and copy it onto the HD, replacing the old (invisible)
   file named "Desktop" you find there (root level, not system folder).
   This will prevent an automatic Desktop file rebuilt if you, perchance,
   start up from a floppy w/o Desktop Manager. It will also free the space
   (probably 300k) used up by the old Desktop file.
7) Replace System and Finder on the HD. They're probably kaput.
   Better not to take chances.
8) Check that all data are still there. (You do have a backup, don't you?)

Your HD should boot next time you turn on the Mac.
--
Matthias Urlichs     CompuServe: 72437,1357  Delphi: URLICHS
Rainwiesenweg 9      Phone: +49+911-574180

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (05/31/88)

In article <340@faui10.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> msurlich@faui10.UUCP (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>In article <8805271324.AA13160@decwrl.dec.com> hunt@atse.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
>> Well, it finally happened.  My Mac II internal hard disk has a directory
>> structure error.  It is a PCPC IHD144 meg disk that had 13meg free on it,
>> so it is pretty full.

>> ... (putting files onto the HD, opening folder, CHASH) ...

>The Desktop file is a resource file. A resource file holds a limited number
>of resources. Every icon and Creator is a resource.
>Therefore, when you opened your new folder, the Finder tried to put some
>more icons into the Desktop file. An overflowing resource file results
>in a spectacular crash on any Mac (APPLE: THIS IS A BUG!).

While the limit on the number of resources in a file is a bug, it's
almost certainly not *this* bug.  Macintosh Technical Note #141
"Maximum Number of Resources in a File" explains that a resource file
can hold 2727 resources.  A typical bundle consists of six resources:
the BNDL, signature, two FREFs and two ICN#s (your mileage may vary).
2727/6 gives about 454.  Do you have over four hundred programs with
different icons on your disk?  Very unlikely, unless you're running a
BBS, and unlikely even then.

Still, there are other reasons that Apple should break up the DeskTop
file.  Most important is the ridiculous amount of time required to
update a populous resource file.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"

benjamin_kuo@pedro.UUCP (Benjamin Kuo) (06/01/88)

  It might work if you go into Disk First Aid, run the program (so it says
that it has no problems), use a Desk Accessory such as DeskZap or DiskTop,
and move and delete the offending files and folders.  You should also zap the
Desktop, and (if that fails) the System and Finder.

pollock@usfvax2.EDU (Wayne Pollock) (06/02/88)

Another point:  It is NOT a good idea to DL files to a valuble HD, unpack
them there, and try to run them.  You might have been the victim of a
virus.  Check your HD for the signs of the various virii running around
(much on this topic has been posted recently).

Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)	pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu
Usenet:		...!{ihnp4, cbatt}!codas!usfvax2!pollock
GEnie:		W.POLLOCK