[comp.sys.mac] QuickFolder problems

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (05/31/88)

In article <11310@apple.Apple.Com> steele@apple.UUCP (Oliver Steele) writes:

> When I was writing MenuEdit I had a bomb in SFPGetFile that went away
> iff I rebooted without Quick Folder (perhaps somebody with my MenuEdit
> [I later learned that there's another identically named program by
> someone with a little better name recognition; mine's the one with
> the non-generic icon and the menu-shaped windows] and Quick Folder could
> tell me if that's still a problem).  Given these errors, I think there's
> probably something non-quite-kosher about Quick Folder, nifty though
> it is.

I've noticed a different set of strange symptoms that appear to point
to a problem in QuickFolder.  With QuickFolder installed, certain
applications (particularly telecom applications such as MacKermit
0.9(36)b4 and FreeTerm 3.0b2) would have difficulty creating files
immediately after an SFPutFile operation.  The problems were most
severe if an attempt was made to create a file in a folder _other_ than
the one that the application was stored in.

In some cases, clicking "Save" would result in an immediate "File is
busy" alert (with no file being created);  in others, clicking "Save"
would result in the file being created in the appropriate folder, but
the application would immediately choke with a "File does not exist"
error.  Quitting from the application and restarting it would
occasionally repair the problem, but at other times it was necessary to
reboot... and some applications simply could NOT SFPutFile to a
different folder if QuickFolder was installed.

My guess is that QuickFolder is inserting itself into the SFPutFile
code in some way that's wiping out some significant data (a
register?).

I like what QuickFolder does... and the shareware price is right... but
I've found it too buggy to depend on;  I've removed it from my system
and have ordered HFS Navigator to take its place.
--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

Fabian_Fabe_Ramirez@cup.portal.com (06/01/88)

What version of QuickFolder are you using?  Mark Igra (author of QF) pulled it
from distribution because of a number of bugs.  Mark has since sold (or
licensed) it to Greene, Inc. (QuickDEX) and they are selling an updated version
called QuickFolder 2.0.

Greene Inc.
15 Via Chular
Monterey, CA  93940
(408) 375-0910

Fabian Ramirez

fabian_fabe_ramirez@cup.portal.com
sun!cup.portal.com!fabian_fabe_ramirez

michael_alan_hauser@cup.portal.com (06/01/88)

Yes, QuickFolder does cause the Dialog Manager to trash
some data registers. This caused a bug in a program that
I had written and due to its intermittent nature, it took
me quite a while to track it down. There is apparently a
new commercial version of QuickFolder (v.2.0) available from
Greene Inc. in Monterey CA. I heard that this bug and others
have been fixed in that version.

If you have the shareware version of QuickFolder, throw it
away...quick.

Michael Hauser
Hummingbird Software
Usenet: sun!cup.portal.com!hummingbird
Arpanet: hummingbird@cup.portal.com

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (06/02/88)

In article <6106@cup.portal.com> Fabian_Fabe_Ramirez@cup.portal.com writes:
> What version of QuickFolder are you using?  Mark Igra (author of QF) pulled it
> from distribution because of a number of bugs.  Mark has since sold (or
> licensed) it to Greene, Inc. (QuickDEX) and they are selling an updated version
> called QuickFolder 2.0.

I guess that's the problem!  The version I tried (and had problems with)
was a shareware release I downloaded from a local BBS; the Finder's Get
Info... command reports "Folder Maker version 0.6".  Sounds as if it's
probably the version that Mark Igra pulled out of distribution...
apparently not all of the troublesome copies were caught.

"There is a large puff of orange smoke.  When your vision clears, you
 find that the defective INIT has vanished..."