[comp.sys.mac] FullWrite bizzarity explained

batman@Apple.COM (Ken Laws) (05/27/88)

Yo.

I'd like to address a problem that all of you shrink-wrapped
FullWrite users might experience sooner or later...

My REAL, SHRINK WRAPPED copy came with the bundle bit set on
the Thesaurus and Dictionary files.

This means that if you, like me, copy FullWrite, then its support
stuff, onto a hard disk, the most recent FullWrite entry in the
desktop file will point to the Thesaurus!!!

The result is that if you try to open FullWrite by double-clicking
on one of its docs, the Finder will say, "The App is damaged or missing."

Rebuilding the desktop won't fix it, because a rebuild is done alphabeticly
and "FW" comes after "Fu".

The solution that worked for me was:
Open ResEdit
Get Info on the Thesaurus and Dictionary
Turn off their bundle bits

I suppose you could do this with DiskTop, also.

This may have been a quickly fixed mistake, or it may be some
bizzare serial number thing that I've now broken, or I could
be barking up the wrong tree.

If you see this behavior, though, try the above fix.

A quick way to see if this could happen is to display a folder
of FW docs by name or date. The kind will say "FW Thesaurus
Document."

Right.

Back to sleep.

-Ken

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (05/31/88)

No need to worry about having "broken" anything.  The Thesaurus and Dictionary
were licensed from and delivered by Microlytics.  They came with the bundle bit
set.  This was not a problem before System 6.0, Finder 6.1 which did not become
available until after FullWrite shipped; therefore, noone in the testing groups
ever encountered the difficulty.  Your solution of turning off the bundle bits
is exactly the right solution (as I recommended in a previous posting).

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Macintosh Division
dBASE Mac Development Team
--------------------------
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _mine_!

simon@alberta.UUCP (Simon Tortike) (06/02/88)

In article <364@dbase.UUCP>, drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) writes:

> No need to worry about having "broken" anything.  The Thesaurus and Dictionary
> were licensed from and delivered by Microlytics.  They came with the bundle bit
I just got my copy of FullWrite Professional, for sale in the USA and Canada
only.  Only one thing: I'm stuck with a US-style dictionary and thesaurus.
We use British convections on spelling frequently, so this is very
inconvenient when only the US dictionary is available.  I cannot use the user
dictionary because the document style and spelling will be inconsistent.  Does
anyone know how to obtain the British versions of the dictionary and
thesaurus?  Microsoft were very thoughtful when they released both types of
dictionary with WORD v3.0, could Ashton-Tate do the same?  I prefer using
FWP to MS WORD by far, but I cannot make as much use of it as I would like
without the alternative dictionary and thesaurus.
W. Simon Tortike
Dept Min, Met &    UUCP:   ...{ubc-vision,ihnp4,mnetor}!alberta!simon
  Petroleum Engg   BITNET: stortike@ualtavm
Univ. of Alberta   AGT:    403/432-3338
Edmonton, AB
Canada T6G 2G6