[comp.sys.mac] FullWrite/MakeWrite

dubois@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu (Old Sneep) (06/01/88)

I am told that someone asked here whether FullWrite can take a plain
text file with embedded formatting commands and produce a document
with the ask-for formatting.  I see Ed Moy has already observed that
MakeWrite will do this to a limited extent, producing a MacWrite
document.  There is a problem with MakeWrite, in that files produced
this way are sometimes not importable into other word processors.  For
instance, imports of MakeWrite files into Ready Set Go fail.

On the other hand, I am also told that if you read the MakeWrite-produced
file into MacWrite and save it *under another name* and import the second
file into RSG, it works.  I don't know whether this is true from my
own experience, but if so, this information may be of some relevance to
the question regarding FullWrite.

---
Paul DuBois     UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,uunet}!uwvax!rhesus!dubois     |
                ARPA: dubois@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu              --+--

alt.sex: just say rmgroup.                                          |

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (06/02/88)

In article <328@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu> dubois@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu (Old Sneep) writes:
>I am told that someone asked here whether FullWrite can take a plain
>text file with embedded formatting commands and produce a document
>with the ask-for formatting.

Microsoft has a standard file format for an ascii file with embedded
formatting codes. It is called Microsoft's Rich Text Format.

It is supported by many Mac Word Processors and page layout programs,
which isn't surprising since Microsoft is giving the specs for the format
away (I tried to pay for it, and they sent my cash back.)  If you insist
on paying for it, the format can also be found in:

"More FIle Formats
for Popular PC Software
A Programmer's Reference"

by Jeff Walden,

$24.95 from John Wiley & Sons
605 Third Ave., New York, N.Y. 10158-0012

Kind of neat for sending formated files to someone who has microsoft word
on a PC, or for opening the RTF as ascii text, editing the format codes,
then turning it back into a fonted Word document.