[comp.sys.mac] shutdownsound/conflict

her3@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Benjamin 'Drew' Herman) (05/18/88)

Thanks for all the replies I recieved about the workings of shutdownsound
(especially from the author)  After I made a new disk with only a
System and finder I found That It did indeed work on the plus and SE
What happend was another init (i didn't even know it was there) called
Quick folder (a Apearently very nice shareware program that was being tested
at work - now removed d:-[ ) conflicted with the shutdownSound init....
I cannot be more accurate someone who knows what they are doing might
look into this.

Anyway new question.... Does MacPuke have this same problem... is MacPuke
as easy to use as ShutdownSound????

(Note: MacPuke and ShutdownSound play the designated sound file at shutdown
Both I believe are shareware.... The authors deserve to be named and
given credit for their fine products as well as $$$$.[as does the author of
Quick folder (which lets you create a new folder under the "minifinder??")]
unfortunately I'm not near the mac that has their names so I cannot
properly give credit where credit is due.)

Ben Herman		| Disclaimer: ( Opinions! We don't need no stinkin'
--
Internet: her3@sphinx.uchicago.edu
BITNET:   her3@sphinx.uchicago.bitnet

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu.UUCP (05/18/88)

her3@sphinx.uchicago.edu(Ben Herman) in comp.sys.mac

>Thanks for all the replies I recieved about the workings of shutdownsound
>(especially from the author)  After I made a new disk with only a
>System and finder I found That It did indeed work on the plus and SE
>What happend was another init (i didn't even know it was there) called
>Quick folder (a Apearently very nice shareware program that was being tested
>at work - now removed d:-[ ) conflicted with the shutdownSound init....
>I cannot be more accurate someone who knows what they are doing might
>look into this.

	Hmmm...I have absolute NO idea why ShutDownSound would be incompatable with
anything, as the INIT part itself does VERY little. As the INIT loader does is
to read in a PROC resource (this is the sound playing code) and stick it in
the System Heap so that it is around at shutdown time. That's it!  I would
have to guess taht QuickFolder does something, but don't know what.  You
might want to check the version # of QuickFolder as I remember seeing something
to the effect that version 2.0 fixed some MAJOR bugs in 1.x

>Anyway new question.... Does MacPuke have this same problem... is MacPuke
>as easy to use as ShutdownSound????
>(Note: MacPuke and ShutdownSound play the designated sound file at shutdown
	MacPuke is not the same type of program that ShutDownSound is. MacPuke was
designed to play a 'pucking/barfing' sound when a disk was ejected, it just
so happens that due to the shutdown Manger, eject gets called on ShutDown
and you get a "BLECH!'

>Both I believe are shareware.... The authors deserve to be named and
>given credit for their fine products as well as $$$$.[as does the author of
>Quick folder (which lets you create a new folder under the "minifinder??")]
>unfortunately I'm not near the mac that has their names so I cannot
>properly give credit where credit is due.)

	To save you the time and effort, I wrote ShutDownSound. A friend of mine,
Dan Green (also the author of Graphics Copier (nice DA!!)) wrote MacPuke and
do not know the author of QuickFolder as I do not use it (I like HFS Navigator
instead!!)

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +                                   +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +
+                                 +                                   +

thomas@uvabick.UUCP (Thomas Fruin) (05/19/88)

Ben Herman writes:

 > What happend was another init [...] called Quick Folder [...]
 > conflicted with the shutdownSound init...

Yeah, I've noticed a problem with Quick Folder too: it conflicts
in a nasty way (read: Bus Error) with the MPW tool Catenate.  TMON
says it crashes somewhere during a Popup Menu Manager call (forgot
the exact name, and don't intend to find out right now either :)

Otherwise Quick Folder is a lovely little INIT that puts a 'New'
button in the top-right corner of every Standard Put File dialog.
Click it and you get to specify a new folder.  Check a box and that
folder will come up in Standard File.  _Very_ useful, Apple should
have done this back when they introduced HFS.

-- Thomas Fruin

   fruin@hlerul5.BITNET                      Leiden University
   thomas@uvabick.UUCP                       University of Amsterdam
   hol0066.AppleLink
   2:512/114.FidoNet                         The Netherlands

rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) (05/22/88)

I have about 10 Inits running on my system on my SE including
Quickfolder and there has been no conflict with the shutdownsound.

R. Scott V. Paterson '90
Kiewit Computation Systems Operator                RSVP@DARTCMS1.BITNET
Dartmouth College                                  RSVP@ELEAZAR.EDU
Hanover, New Hampshire

steele@Apple.COM (Oliver Steele) (05/31/88)

thomas@uvabick.UUCP (Thomas Fruin) writes:
]Yeah, I've noticed a problem with Quick Folder too: it conflicts
]in a nasty way (read: Bus Error) with the MPW tool Catenate.  TMON
]says it crashes somewhere during a Popup Menu Manager call (forgot
]the exact name, and don't intend to find out right now either :)

When I was writing MenuEdit I had a bomb in SFPGetFile that went away
iff I rebooted without Quick Folder (perhaps somebody with my MenuEdit
[I later learned that there's another identically named program by
someone with a little better name recognition; mine's the one with
the non-generic icon and the menu-shaped windows] and Quick Folder could
tell me if that's still a problem).  Given these errors, I think there's
probably something non-quite-kosher about Quick Folder, nifty though
it is.

 Oliver Steele						steele@apple.com
 Apple ATG

 Disclaimer:  I don't have any idea how Apple feels about Quick Folder
 or MenuEdit.

pollock@usfvax2.EDU (Wayne Pollock) (06/02/88)

In article <11310@apple.Apple.Com> steele@apple.UUCP (Oliver Steele) writes:
>]Yeah, I've noticed a problem with Quick Folder too: it conflicts
>]in a nasty way (read: Bus Error) with the MPW tool Catenate.  ...
> Given these errors, I think there's
>probably something non-quite-kosher about Quick Folder, nifty though
>it is.

Does HFS Navigator suffer from these problems?

Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)	pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu
Usenet:		...!{ihnp4, cbatt}!codas!usfvax2!pollock
GEnie:		W.POLLOCK

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (06/02/88)

pollock@usfvax2.EDU(Wayne Pollock) writes in comp.sys.mac

>>]Yeah, I've noticed a problem with Quick Folder too: it conflicts
>>]in a nasty way (read: Bus Error) with the MPW tool Catenate.  ...
>> Given these errors, I think there's
>>probably something non-quite-kosher about Quick Folder, nifty though
>>it is.
>
>Does HFS Navigator suffer from these problems?

	No.  HFS Navigator does not have any incompatability problems that I have
yet to come across.  I have used it through many systems (now including 6.0
which it works with!) and LOTS of programs and it works wonderfully!!! One
of the nicest features of HFS Nav is that the normal menu does not have ANY
cmd equivalents so that you can choose any cmd-equivs that you want to go along
with the menu items an since it is a standard menu resource, you can always go
back and edit it later.