[comp.sys.mac] Mac on airplanes

cheong@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Weng Seng Cheong) (05/04/88)

I hope this is not an old issue. I intend to take my SE on the plane
to Europe. With the airlines' new carry-on luggage regulations, did
anyone encounter any problems bringing his/her Mac on board? Helpful
suggestions or experiences will be appreciated.

Since I am on the subject, what are the good carrying cases for the
Mac SE in the market today? Or, what should I avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Weng Seng Cheong
Dept. of Computer Science		Internet:  cheong@svax.cs.cornell.edu
Cornell University			BITnet:    cheong@crnlcs
Ithaca, NY14850

fleishman-glenn@CS.YALE.EDU (Glenn Fleishman) (05/06/88)

In article <16747@cornell.UUCP> cheong@cs.cornell.edu (Weng Seng Cheong) writes:
>I hope this is not an old issue. I intend to take my SE on the plane
>to Europe. With the airlines' new carry-on luggage regulations, did
>anyone encounter any problems bringing his/her Mac on board? Helpful
>suggestions or experiences will be appreciated.
>
>Since I am on the subject, what are the good carrying cases for the
>Mac SE in the market today? Or, what should I avoid?
>
>Thanks in advance.

>Weng Seng Cheong
>Dept. of Computer Science		Internet:  cheong@svax.cs.cornell.edu
>Cornell University			BITnet:    cheong@crnlcs
>Ithaca, NY14850

The Macintosh Plus fits snugly but perfectly under the middle seat on a
Stretch 727, which, as far as I know, is the plane with _the_ smallest
amount of space per person not including 18-seat Cessnas.

Two ancedotes:
1. I had the same question, before I took my Mac on its first trans-
continental trip, so I called Apple Customer Relations.  The person I
reached didn't know.  She went off for about five minutes, came back and
said, "I'm not sure. No one here has tried it."  "!" I thought.
2. As a switch planes in Denver between an incredibly comfortable and
spacious 757, and board a Stretch 727, the head flight attendant says
to me, "You'll have to check that." "But I can't. It's sensitive computer
equipment.  It's not made to be shipped." "I'm sorry, but it won't fit
under the seat." "It did on the last plane; it's designed to [okay, so
I lied?]." "What was your last plane?" "A 757." "[laughter]." Needless
to say, I discovered I didn't lie, the Mac _does_ fit perfectly under
a seat.

Caveats:
The case I purchased from MacAid for about $60 is a soft case with some
reinforcement. Had it been a more inflexible case, I wouldn't have been
able to position it to stuff it under the middle 727 seat.

Glenn I. Fleishman, graphic designer & Mac apologist
FLEGLEI@YALEVM.BITNET or through r/Reply
"Andy Warhol lives. I think. Maybe not."

alex@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Alex Heatley) (05/10/88)

>I hope this is not an old issue. I intend to take my SE on the plane
>to Europe. With the airlines' new carry-on luggage regulations, did
>anyone encounter any problems bringing his/her Mac on board? Helpful
>suggestions or experiences will be appreciated.

As this (and other questions) seems to come up fairly regularly, perhaps we
could have a "frequently asked questions" posting for this group. We could
include answers to such questions as:

	1) Can I use my US Mac in foreign countries.
	2) what is the best way to ship a Mac by plane?
	3) What are the best extrenal drives for the Mac (a potentially
           emotive issue here).
        etc. etc. etc.

Is there anyone out there (for example, the man who never sleeps, Chuq) who
would be interested in maintaining and posting such an article on a regular
basis?

Alex Heatley                                Computing Services Centre
Domain: alex@comp.vuw.ac.nz                 Victoria University of Wellington
Trolls can often be found under bridges ... or in Computing Departments.

martyl@bucket.UUCP (Marty Lee) (05/11/88)

In article <28606@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, fleishman-glenn@CS.YALE.EDU (Glenn Fleishman) writes:
> In article <16747@cornell.UUCP> cheong@cs.cornell.edu (Weng Seng Cheong) writes:
> >I hope this is not an old issue. I intend to take my SE on the plane
> >to Europe. With the airlines' new carry-on luggage regulations, did
> >anyone encounter any problems bringing his/her Mac on board? Helpful
> >suggestions or experiences will be appreciated.

The Mac will fit with plenty of room under the seats of an L-1011 as there
really isn't an overhead bin.  TWA didn't even flinch when I brought it on.

On Alaska, Contenental and America West (737) the SE fit in the overhead
with NO room to spare.  It will also fit under the seat if do not have a
window seat OR an isle seat.  NOTE: some of the Alaska 737s are also used for
cargo and DONOT have overhead bins that will hold a Mac....you'll be lucky to
get your hat in.

The Mac SE and the Imagewriter is a pain to carry through an airport though.

BTW some of the guys here at work ship their Macs using these big blue
armored cases that are about 2 X 2 X 1.5 feet and cost $500 each.  They are
lined with dense foam close to the outside and soft foam closest to the Mac.
Each Mac also has a non resetable G-meter attached to it so any large impacts
will be noted.  G-Meters come in non reset and reset types from 1/4 G to 10 G.
They are only a few bucks each $20-30 max and have peel off backs to stick on
any smooth surface.....its cheap insurance.

We just put the Macs into their MacPack bags and stick the bags into the cases.
Its been a year and nothing has gone wrong yet......let hope.....

              teksce           (Fastest path)
          /            \
tektronix!reed!  omen   !bucket!martyl  (Marty Lee)
              \        /
               percival

groves@noao.arizona.edu (Lee Groves) (05/12/88)

I would think twice about stowing my mac in the overhead bin, at least if
you will be flying on Hawiian Airlines.....

clive@drutx.ATT.COM (Clive Steward) (05/13/88)

From article <884@bucket.UUCP>, by martyl@bucket.UUCP:

> The Mac will fit with plenty of room under the seats of an L-1011 as there
> really isn't an overhead bin.  TWA didn't even flinch when I brought it on.

Don't know that this is such a good idea.

Last night I read an article in .risks about a newly common injury on
airplanes -- descriptions of victims concussed to the point of partial
one-side paralysis, etc., from being hit by portable computers
dropping out of the overhead bins.

I'm sure that even before the article, I wouldn't want to sit under one.

Clive Steward

cheong@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Weng Seng Cheong) (05/16/88)

I am forwarding this message for Eric who responded to my
earlier posting ....

(Start of message)

Please forward this to Usenet, as I have no access to it.

I have been able to fit my Mac under the seats of and in the overhead
compartment of all the Boeing planes on which I have flown, from the
various incarnations of the 727 through the 757.  I have had difficulties
fitting it under the seats of Fokker planes, which are used for some
short runs in the U.S., and that French airbus, the number of which escapes
me.  (Perhaps it is A-303 or something like that.)  I also vaguely remember
having trouble fitting it under the seat of a Lockheed plane: it went, but
only after the application of great force.

I use an old-fashioned Apple carrying case (with the unsafe strap removed,
of course).

I am in the habit of calling the airlines and finding out which planes they
use for the entirety of their run.  They enjoy telling me, as the information
is easily available to them, but hardly anybody ever asks.

Eric Pepke                           pepke%fsu.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa
Supercomputer Computations           pepke%scri.hepnet@lbl-csa2.arpa
   Research Institute                pepke%fsu.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Florida State University             "You're living in your own private Idaho
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052            On the ground like a wild potato."

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

(End of message)

Weng Seng Cheong
Dept. of Computer Science		Internet:  cheong@svax.cs.cornell.edu
Cornell University			BITnet:    cheong@crnlcs
Ithaca, NY14850

rusty@pnet06.cts.com (05/18/88)

I went Island Hopping in Hawaii a few years back and found that it also
depends where you sit.  Aisle seats and window seats have different amounts of
room under the seats.  Aisle seats often have smaller spacings to make way for
the little gaurds that keep the luggage from spilling into the aisle...
Rusty Hodge, HCR Inc, 1588 N. Batavia St. Orange, CA 92667      (714) 974-6300
rusty@hodge.cts.com [uunet vdelta crash]!hodge!rusty        FAX (714) 921-8038
            We never do anything well till we cease to think about
                  the manner of doing it. - William Hazlitt

mbk@hpsemc.HP.COM (Miles Kehoe) (05/20/88)

Concerning Macs on airplanes.... (or any other portable) some airports
are beginning to want to see that your computer works before they
allow you thru security. I guess the premise is 'If the thing works,
there can't be a bomb planted in it'. I only meniton this because
on a recent trip, I decided to bring along a Compaq at the last
minute and, as usual, I tossed the power cable into my suitcase
which I checked at the counter. By the time I got to security, I
was not able to boot up my system and prove it to be a computer,
so I had to argue with the security manager and finally open the darn
thing up to let him 'visually' inspect it before I could go thru.
So... no matter what... if you carry it along, bring it's power cable too!

(I know... my Mac case has room for everything too.. just wanted to toss
in the caveat, since not many airports have the right tools to open
a mac)

Miles

bmayer@bucc2.UUCP (05/23/88)

/* Written 12:57 pm  May 19, 1988 by hpsemc.HP.COM!mbk in bucc2:comp.sys.mac */
[...]

/* End of text from bucc2:comp.sys.mac */

just to let y'all know, since the topic  of compaq's did come up, that
some times, and only sometimes will the airlines give you trouble with
bringing the compaq on board, expecially on crowded flights.  You
might also have this problem with other computers.

As someone said earlier, just argue with them, and they'll let you
take the computer on.  (p.s. just tell them you go in the baggage
compartment before you'll put the computer there; then they'll know
your serious.

jdm@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Meiss) (05/27/88)

	Last time I took my Mac on an airplane (I've done it
about 10 times now), I did indeed have to boot it before they
would let me through security. I have an SE HD20, so I also
had to connect the mouse so that I could run the shut-down
manager, and be sure the heads were properly parked.
	Imagine me rolling the mouse around on the XRay
machine.... Looks silly.
	BTW, I'm sure a dedicated terrorist would find plenty
of room inside the Mac case for a bomb, and still leave it in
fine working order

				Jim Meiss
		 		jdm@emx.utexas.edu
				jdm%uta.MFENET@nmfecc.ARPA

cramer%clem@Sun.COM (Sam Cramer) (06/01/88)

In article <2794@ut-emx.UUCP> jdm@emx.UUCP (James Meiss) writes:
>	BTW, I'm sure a dedicated terrorist would find plenty
>of room inside the Mac case for a bomb, and still leave it in
>fine working order

Unfortunately true.  A PLO terrorist (aided by Syrian Intelligence) tried
to send his pregnant Irish girl friend on an El-Al plane with a shoulder
bag containing high explosive in a very thin false bottom.  The triggering
device was a pocket calculator fitted with a tiny detonator.  Of course,
it's probably worthwhile to weed out the amateurs...

Sam Cramer	{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun!cramer  cramer@sun.com

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr Jack Campin) (06/03/88)

In article <54968@sun.uucp> cramer@sun.UUCP (Sam Cramer) writes:

>  A PLO terrorist (aided by Syrian Intelligence) tried
>to send his pregnant Irish girl friend on an El-Al plane with a shoulder
>bag containing high explosive in a very thin false bottom.

Sam Cramer's opinions are well known to readers of soc.culture.jewish and
talk.politics.mideast, so it isn't surprising he should claim that, but I
recall nothing in the trial that in any way associated Hindawi with the PLO.

--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk       USENET: jack@cs.glasgow.uucp
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs      useBANGnet: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack