[comp.sys.mac] Mac going to England?

brewer@clio.las.uiuc.edu (05/16/88)

  Hello, I have got a question for all you netlanders. My father wants to take
a Mac to England with him, for about 8 months. He has heard that there are
possible problems (i.e. customs, power supply, etc). If you know of any
problems and/or their solutions, please respond.

Robert Brewer
    brewer@clio.las.uiuc.edu
    {ihnp4 | convex | pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!brewer

flash@ee.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan) (06/01/88)

In article <17000101@clio> brewer@clio.las.uiuc.edu writes:

>a Mac to England with him, for about 8 months. He has heard that there are
>possible problems (i.e. customs, power supply, etc). If you know of any

I've had no problem with customs.  Put the Mac in an over-the-shoulder
 carrying case , look cool, and wear a tie.
If it's a Mac+ you'll need a 240 to 110 V transformer and a plug adapter (or
a new power cord.)  The adapter you _must_ buy in the US {For some
ridiculous reason, you can never buy an adapter to use in the country you're
in, only for machines made in the the country you're in.} You can buy the
power cord in the UK (about #10?)
I'd buy the transformer in the US; most UK products are over-priced: there's
no Sherman Anti-Trust Act.

From: flash@ee.qmc.ac.uk (Flash Sheridan)
or_perhaps_Reply_to: flash@cs.qmc.ac.uk

norman@sdics.ucsd.EDU (Donald A. Norman) (06/03/88)

There is one severe problem with customs in getting a macintosh (or
any computer) into the U.K.  You are supposed to post a bond to
guarantee that you will take it out again -- the bond is on the order
of magnitude of 500 pounds.

I found that the machine worked just fine once I got it there - that
and the imagewriter.  Yes, I bought a transformer (in England) -- make
sure it is a real transformer, not a cheap, solid state converter.
The problem is the plugs: best solution: buy an outlet strip in the
U.S. (I took one with various protections): then you can plug the Mac
and imagewriter into the outlet strip, cut the plug off the outlet
strip and wire that into the transformer.  When you leave, just leave
the outlet strip behind.

BUT:  customs.  I vowed I would never do it again.  That I would lease
a machine in England.  (That was before the dollar slid in value --
maybe today I couldn't afford to do that).   I never paid the bond,
but was hounded by customs my entire stay and for 2 months after I
returned.

Some friends simply carried their machines through customs at the
airport and were never stopped, so they escaped.   Some were stopped
and had to pay, on the spot.  My machine was shipped by mail, which is
how I got it, but was also how customs learned about it, and they came
after me starting a month after I got the machine.

There are bonding companies in the US where if you pay then $100 or
so, they post a guarantee to UK customs for the bond.  This is
probably the best route to go, if you can find out who they are.  I
have no leads, except that MacWorld ran an article about 1 - 2 years
ago giving the name on one of them.

don norman

Donald A. Norman
Institute for Cognitive Science C-015