[comp.sys.mac] Finder shouldn't empty trash under

stevens@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Curt Stevens) (06/03/88)

In article <76000209@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Yes, I agree.  The only time the finder should empty the trash is
>(1) When the device is full (like a floppy)
>(2) When the user selects "Empty Trash"
>(3) When the system is shut down.

I also agree. I have always felt that emptying the trash without an
explicit request (Empty Trash menu item) is counter to the desktop
metaphore. Like everyone, when I put trash in the can under my desk, it
stays there until I take out the trash. I can't tell you how many times
I've looked through that can for something I recently threw out. Just
because I start doing something else (start a new application) doesn't
mean that the trash is automatically useless. As mentioned in the other
postings, this is exactly the case with multifinder. People do more than
one thing at a time, and these tasks often cross application boundries. I
have always been irritated that the trash empties when I launch an
application. It just doesn't correspond to what goes on around my
desktop. In fact, I don't think finder should do this either.

There are other situations in which the mac automatically emties the
trash which don't bother me as much since I can fit them into the desktop
metaphore. A full device is like a full trashcan; it isn't a pretty
sight. Also, since my trash gets emptied at night where I work, I can
handle the system doing this for me when I shutdown (I suppose restart
too). I just don't see an analogy applicable to the situation of starting
an application.

Maybe its time for an even newer addition to the infamous LAYO resouce
list. I wouldn't mind at all if I had to use resedit to configure my
machine to act in the manner we are all suggesting.

|Curt Stevens        (303)492-1218 |   /   |              E-MAIL:             |
|University of Colorado at Boulder |  o o  |              -------             |
|Computer Science Department       |   |   |arpa: stevens@boulder.colorado.edu|
|Campus Box 430                    |  \_/  |csnet:       stevens@boulder.csnet|
|Boulder, Colorado 80309           |       |uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!stevens|

========
| Curt |
========