[comp.sys.mac] selective recovery

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (06/04/88)

In article <2574@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, phil@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Phil Sohn) writes:

> 	I highly recommend it.  The only problem is that you need as
> much blank space as used space to recover easily.  (i.e.  you need
> another hard disk at least as big as the trashed on.)  It will recover
> to floppies, but that is a pain.

I just thought that it might be worth adding (in case someone has need for
such a feature) that you can recover data-files selectively also (all docs
of a certain type, such as PAINT, WRITE, EXCEL, etc).  If you keep all your
applications backed up and only need to worry about data-files, this may
well be the ticket to avoid the pain .....

thanks, Phil, for speaking up;  it would have been a terrible disservice to the net to leave that original poster uncontradicted;  some fellow-netter with
disk-trouble might have avoided ZAP in result and ended up reinitializing
his disk.... (ZAP sometimes can help you recover data even after initialization)

in the past I have made new ZAP-parameter files available to the net (with
permission from MicroAnalyst) but lately I have little or no luck communicating
with the moderator of the sources and binaries (and I don't think that the
problem is with at my end).