[comp.sys.mac] LAYO-problems

freund@nada.kth.se (Peter Freund) (06/02/88)

There are some nice, new features in Finder 6.0, earlier dicussed, that can
be changed by editing the resource LAYO with ResEdit.
Problems:

I use ResEdit 1.2A1 and try to change my Finder 6.0.

1. I open the resource LAYO as "Open general" and count the bytes (64 bytes
   it is.)
2. Then I close the resource LAYO and use "Open" to open LAYO once more. (I _do
   no changes_ and close the LAYO.
3. Then I once again open the LAYO as "Open general". And imagine my suprise,
   when I see 16 additional bytes in the resource (80 bytes?!).

This (I think!) means that the TMPL for "LAYO" in the ResEdit 1.1A1 is not
proper. Message "Not enough memory to work with..." under MF is due to above.

!!! Please write someone how to fix the problems, or at least how a proper
    LAYO (with all the "nicies" selected) should look (in "Open General"-form).

??? Is the Finder 6.1 "LAYO" the same as in Finder 6.0? (I don't have 6.1)

Peter Freund    |    freund@nada.kth.se  |  My BBS/phone: +46 8 308356  |

joachim@iravcl.ira.uka.de (06/04/88)

In article <394@draken.nada.kth.se>, freund@nada.kth.se (Peter Freund) writes:
>[.. describing how a LAYO will grow from 64 bytes to 80 bytes.. ]

This is a general FEATURE of ResEdit, that it will interpret any
resource according to the TMPL given, expanding or TRUNCATING the
resource as needed (Btw, it will not save this CHANGED resource unless
you maid some real change).

I don't think this is the reason why the finder reports the problem,
because the finder will do a GetResource and ignore the trailing bytes.
Of course there will be a problem if bytes present in the old LAYO
changed their meaning.

> This (I think!) means that the TMPL for LAYO in the ResEdit 1.1A1 is not

I think that the LAYO is simply in advance to the change in the finder.
You'll need the new finder to use the features.

-
Joachim Lindenberg, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Karlsruhe
Sommerstrasse 4, 7500 Karlsruhe 1, Federal Republic of Germany
joachim@ira.uka.de, joachim@germany.csnet, ..!mcvax!unido!uka!joachim