[comp.sys.mac] Ad has strange system requirement

mss+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Steven Sherman) (05/27/88)

I just received an amusing ad from Triton. They tell me that my Macintosh needs
at least 256K of memory to run the programs they sell. Did I miss a model
somewhere between classic mac and fat mac?
        -Mark

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (05/28/88)

In article <EWbLbFy00VsAM29UFV@andrew.cmu.edu> mss+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Steven Sherman) writes:
>I just received an amusing ad from Triton. They tell me that my Macintosh needs
>at least 256K of memory to run the programs they sell. Did I miss a model
>somewhere between classic mac and fat mac?
>        -Mark

Actually, this is probably the proper thing to do.  I hate it when software
houses just say so and so needs 1Mb Mac.  In this era of Multifinder, I'd
really like to know what the memory requirements of a program is before I
buy it.  Currently, anything that needs more than what a 512k Mac an give is
labeled as "Needing 1Mb Mac".  This is nonsense if the program only needs
700K to be happy.

Already several Macintosh II specific program are currently billed as will
run in 1M, but will be more happy with 5M.  Somehow, I have a feeling that
they don't ever need all 5M.  Although I don't have a Pixel Paint manual in
front of me, I seem to recall that they made the claim that you wouldn't be
able to fully use the program unless you have 5M.  But, notice that the once
you have allocated something like 2050k to PixelPaint you can already work
with the full size canvas.  In this case I think it would make more sense to
say something like 1000K min memory size, 2050k ideal size.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-253-6699   Address: 7122 N. Campus 7, Ithaca, NY 14853   |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |

benjamin_kuo@pedro.UUCP (Benjamin Kuo) (06/01/88)

 I saw that ad:  256K required.  Well, I could get that doing odd things
to the RAM... I don't think they know ANYTHING about Mac memory.

sidhe@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Solas Sidhe--ye faerie fyre) (06/06/88)

256K required?  Why is that a problem?  HyperCard takes up 700K
to itself(which is why you should NEVER run it under MultiFinder if
you only have one meg of memory...).  It means you can't run it on
anything with less memory than a Plus.