[comp.sys.mac] FullWrite -- obliqued cursors are a major pain

pugh@bodn.cs.cornell.edu (William Pugh) (06/06/88)

I've encountered a major problem with FullWrite that will keep me from
making much use of it. In FullWrite, they added a "neat feature" so that
when the cursor is in italic text, the cursor is obliqued the same as the
text. This is a good idea, because otherwise it is hard to see where the
cursor is.

HOWEVER, Adobe has made available italic, bold, and bold-italic bitmap
versions of their fonts. When these fonts are installed, you get true
italic, true-bold, and true-bold-italic characters on your screen. Italic
characters are not the same as obliqued characters. With the italic
fonts, a regular vertical cursor works best. The reasons I installed the
italic bitmaps is that not only can you read them, but also because they
work well with the standard vertical cursor.

THE PROBLEM is that using an obliqued cursor with italic bitmap fonts is
horrible, even worse than using a vertical cursor with an obliqued font.
To make FullWrite usable, they must either detect when italic bitmaps
are being used and disable obliqued cursors automatically, or allow the
user to turn off obliqued cursors.

P.S. If anybody wants to get any of the italic, bold and italic-bold fonts,
you can contact Adobe, or download from CompuServe (GO ADOBE). I don't think
its legal for me to repost them or send them to people, so you're have to
obtain them yourselves.

	Bill Pugh
	Cornell University

jmm@thoth5.berkeley.edu (06/06/88)

You should be able to use ResEdit to remove the oblique cursor from FullWrite.
Just replace it with the standard I-bar.

James Moore				| B'fhearr don net mura mbeadh
jmm@bartleby.berkeley.edu		| Bearla ar bith ann.
#airigh "leithsceal caighdeanach"	| 			:-)

pugh@bodn.cs.cornell.edu (William Pugh) (06/07/88)

In article <10605@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> jmm@thoth5.berkeley.edu writes:
>You should be able to use ResEdit to remove the oblique cursor from FullWrite.
>Just replace it with the standard I-bar.

Nice idea, but that only fixes half the problem.  When I replace the oblique
mouse cursor, the cursor associated with the mouse is never obliqued, which
is nice. However, the cursor that shows the text insertion point is still
obliqued, which is the bigger problem.  I took a brief look through FullWrite
but could not find any resource that seemed to correspond to an obliqued
text insertion marker.

	Bill Pugh