[comp.sys.mac] MacRecorder

dwh@rayssdb.ray.com (David W. Humphrey) (05/26/88)

I am interested in purchasing an audio digitizer + software for my mac.  I just
read a glowing review of MacRecorder (would you believe "cons: none"!) in the
June issue of _Macworld_.  Does anyone have enough experience with MacRecorder
and MacNifty to compare and contrast the two?  MacRecorder lists at $199.- and
I'm not sure about MacNifty.  Also, what practical applications have you used
your sampled sounds for - besides showing your friends what a flushed toilet
sounds like sampled at 1 kHz ;-}.

					Thanks in advance!

*    "Bop, bop, bop 'til you drop!"    |   David W. Humphrey                  *
*		  -my ex-girlfriend    |   Raytheon Company, Portsmouth, RI   *

benjamin_kuo@pedro.UUCP (Benjamin Kuo) (05/30/88)

  I have a MacNifty.  The old "SoundCap" software is excellent.  The new
"SoundWave" software really stinks.  Alot of GREAT sound editing is
not available in the new software, and it runs about 10 times slower.

  On the other hand, MacRecorder (marketed by Farallon--owned by the
president of BMUG, who developed the hardware in the first place) has
(from what I've seen and heard) the best software you can buy.  The
price difference from what BMUG was offering (something like $25 for the
kit!) and what Farallon sells ($150-$200) is entirely in software.  They
have a HyperCard and application interface, and is very well developed.

  As far as I know, MacRecorder is the better deal.

holland@mips.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (06/09/88)

In article <254@pedro.UUCP> benjamin_kuo@pedro.UUCP (Benjamin Kuo) writes:

>  On the other hand, MacRecorder (marketed by Farallon--owned by the
>president of BMUG, who developed the hardware in the first place) has
>(from what I've seen and heard) the best software you can buy.  The
>price difference from what BMUG was offering (something like $25 for the
>kit!) and what Farallon sells ($150-$200) is entirely in software.  They

If that's true, why don't they sell a stereo system.  Currently, you have to
buy 2 entire systems for stereo.  That's $300 as opposed to $175 if they can
really sell the hardware that cheap.  Even if the hardware is a little more,
I think it's unreasonable to pay twice the price for stereo.

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
holland%ti-csl@csnet-rela

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.