[comp.sys.mac] FullWrite Memory Hog / Featuritis

long@tooter.dec.com (06/10/88)

Recently, Tom Carstensen writes:

> I think programs are beginning to get out of hand, in
> terms of features.  I don't want a drawing program within
> in my Word processor.  Isn't that what Multifinder is for?
> This is causing programs to get excessively large and space wasteful.

> I remember back when I had a 512K mac, and I could load
> System, Finder, MacWrite & MacPaint on a RAMDISK!, with
> some room left over.  You can forget about that anymore.

> The article in MacWeek stated that under Multifinder,
> FullWrite wants 1124K.  !! OR !! You can run Microsoft
> Word (which is much faster) which uses 384K, MacDraw
> (256K) and Excel (272K) and still have 212K left over!!!

> Microsoft seems to be doing the best job at keeping programs
> to be doing what they're meant to, and keeping the System
> requirements down.  To do word processing use Word, to

> [stuff deleted]

> Lets keep applications short and to the point!

Agree completely, 1000%.  The idea of a humongous, do-it-all application is a
bad one.  I like the idea of running MultiFinder, and loading the applications
that do their particular job very well.  For the record, I'll be using MS-Word
(a just fine word processor, although on-screen columns would be nice) and
SuperPaint (a just fine paint/draw program), and have plenty of memory left
over to load whatever else strikes my fancy.

Giving the user the capability to essentially build an integrated environment
that is BEST SUITED to him or her is one of the things that MultiFinder
is all about.  Resource hogs like FullWrite destroy that capability.

Just my 0.02 cents, although my opinions require 2MB and a hard disk :-).

Rich