[comp.sys.mac] Question about multitasking on the

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) (06/10/88)

In article <46100157@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>That may be true on the usual MAC OS, but it sure isn't true in general.
>Most other companies have some form of multitasking for their main operating
>system (not counting Unix variants.) The IBM PC, for example, in addition
>to Unix and OS/2 which are intrinsically multitasking, has Desqview
>and Windows 386. Both of these are genuine, unabashed multitaskers. They
>are restricted only by screen-access conflicts; Windows 386 will

  MultiTasking is relativly new in the personal computer world, Windows &
the OS's that you mention weren't availible until about 1987.  And even though
their have been Multi-tasking system they have yet to become "standard" on
personal computers.  Also OS/2 has yet to produce lots of Multi-Tasking
software for the personal computers.
  The summary is that Mutli-tasking is still new in the personal computer
arena and will be for a least a year, right now I would esitimate that 80-90%
of the MS-Dos world is running MS-Dos and not one of it's MT substites, and
many of the Mutli-Tasking alternatives have problems on the clone machines due
to some hardware differences.
  So I would say it's true in general, in general personal computers don't do
Multi-Tasking yet.
 Just because something's availble doesn't mean it get used.  And many of the
MS-Dos substitues you mention don't support child processes, virtual memory
which is necessary for running more that one process, you can do it is
physical memory, but it's too much of a pain, VM is needed to really allow
MT to become popular.
   Like I said before Multi-Tasking isn't common.  You also stated that other
companies had MT stubstitues for their computers, well last time I checked
IBM doesn't make DesqView or Window's 386, so these are third party OS's that
have to be purchased in addition to the basic non multitasking OS provided
with the personal computer.
  Until Multi-Tasking OS's get distributed with the computer out of the box
they won't become standard, and that really hasn't happened yet.  It will
happen, and it needs to happen, but for about another year I think personal
computers will continue to be single threaded machines.  But with things like
OS/2 and A/UX and upgrades to the Multi-Finder I'm sure multi-tasking will
become common on personal computers.

--
David M. O'Rourke

Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!