[comp.sys.mac] Qustion about Macs and Layout work

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (06/04/88)

I have a stupid question about using Macs for publishing.

I have not yet seen any Mac Word Processors that know how to do page
layout for 2-up type printing automatically.   I may not be using the
correct terms, but what I mean is: say you have a long document, 50+
pages.  Your preparing the masters for a printing of a few thousand copies
of the finished document, which is a book say one half of a letter size sheet
sideways (4.75 x 8.5).   The final books are 2-sided.  The printer wants
it layed out "2-up", or two pages next to each other on a letter size
sheet.  The placement of the pages must allow for the most efficient
printing and collating.   Like when you take apart a magazine and you find
one sheet with page 70 and 99 on the front and 100 and 69 on the back.

My question is: are there any products that will do this sort of thing
automatically on the Mac?   I can't believe that I'm the only one that
uses the Mac for this sort of thing.  I realize I can manually paste
the pages in the right way using something like PageMaker, but that's
almost as hard as doing it by hand the old fashioned way.

The second question is: would anyone else find such support useful?
I see a lot of nit-picking about word processing features, but to me
this layout feature is much more worthwhile than a lot of stuff I see
talked about.
--
David Beckemeyer			|
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| "MOM, where do we keep the chainsaws?"

ksr@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Kenneth S Redler) (06/05/88)

In article <328@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:

| I have a stupid question about using Macs for publishing.
|
| I have not yet seen any Mac Word Processors that know how to do page
| layout for 2-up type printing automatically.   I may not be using the
| correct terms, but what I mean is: say you have a long document, 50+
|
| [ etc ]
|
| My question is: are there any products that will do this sort of thing
| automatically on the Mac?

I believe Fullwrite Professional has the two-up printing feature
you're looking for.

-Ken

 Ken Redler          ==No quote. No nothing.==        ksr@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) (06/05/88)

In article <328@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:
>I have not yet seen any Mac Word Processors that know how to do page
>layout for 2-up type printing automatically.   I may not be using the
>correct terms, but what I mean is: say you have a long document, 50+

  The favorite WP of controversy does this quite nicly on a LaserPrinter.
FullWrite Professional supports this feature.  I use it all the time.  It's
only availible on and LW thought, pity.  Just look at the Print Dialog, FWP
has added lots of options, one of which is "Print TWO-UP".

  Hope this helps.

--
David M. O'Rourke

Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (06/06/88)

(| ...
(
(I believe Fullwrite Professional has the two-up printing feature
(you're looking for.

So does Word 3.0x (and I think there was a 'gutter' option in Word
1.05, but I'm not so sure about that).

	/JBL

UUCP: {backbone}!bbn!levin     USPS: BBN Communications Corporation
ARPA: levin@bbn.com                  50 Moulton Street
POTS: (617) 873-3463                 Cambridge, MA  02238

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) (06/07/88)

In article <25379@bbn.COM> levin@BBN.COM (Joel B Levin) writes:
>So does Word 3.0x (and I think there was a 'gutter' option in Word
>1.05, but I'm not so sure about that).

   It does, that's news to me.  I haven't been able to find it!!!  Could
someone please tell me how to do this.  I have several Word 3.0X users who
would just love this feature.

   BTW:  What does the gutter have to do with printing two up??

   Thanks for any help you can provide.

--

dorner@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu (06/07/88)

>>I have not yet seen any Mac Word Processors that know how to do page
>>layout for 2-up type printing automatically.   ...
>
>                                    ...  Just look at the Print Dialog, FWP
>has added lots of options, one of which is "Print TWO-UP".

Take apart a magazine that's stapled in the middle sometime, and see
which pages are REALLY printed next to one another on a sheet.  You
will find, for example, that an 8-page flier (two sheets, stapled in
the middle) has pages 2 and 7 printed on the same side of a single
sheet.  I think this is what the poster wants, and I doubt FullWrite
does it, since it's useful only in a very few situations, especially since
laswerwriters don't take paper bigger than legal size.
----
Internet: dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: ihnp4!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 333-3339

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (06/08/88)

In article <15200021@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

--Just look at the Print Dialog, FWP has added lots of options, one of
--which is "Print TWO-UP".

=Take apart a magazine that's stapled in the middle sometime, and see
=which pages are REALLY printed next to one another on a sheet.  You
=will find, for example, that an 8-page flier (two sheets, stapled in
=the middle) has pages 2 and 7 printed on the same side of a single
=sheet.  I think this is what the poster wants, and I doubt FullWrite
=does it, since it's useful only in a very few situations, especially
=since laserwriters don't take paper bigger than legal size.

The Apple Laserwriter doesn't go past legal size, but the new system
software allows for a paper size called "tabloid."  Plainly,
somebody's laser printer takes larger paper.  Could somebody with
FullWrite try the "two-up" option and tell us what it actually does?

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"

blknowle@uokmax.UUCP (Bradford L Knowles) (06/10/88)

Two up printing?

This is something that FullWrite Professional was DESIGNED to do.

Yes, it handles it as a RADIO button, no bizzarre key-strokes or whatever,
a simple radio button selection from the "Print..." menu selection

-Brad Knowles

UUCP: ...!ihnp4!occrsh!uokmax!blknowle     ARPA: blknowle@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
SNAIL: 1013 Mobile Circle
       Norman, OK  73071-2522
Philosophy of Boris Yeltsin: "If one wants to be unemployed, one will
	criticize ones' boss.  If one wants to be sent to Siberia, one
	will criticize the wife of ones' boss."
Disclaimer: (The above opinions are my own.  They have nothing to do with the
		Univeristy of Oklahoma nor intelligance of any sort. :-)

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (06/10/88)

In article <15200021@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu>, dorner@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> Take apart a magazine that's stapled in the middle sometime, and see
> which pages are REALLY printed next to one another on a sheet.  You
> will find, for example, that an 8-page flier (two sheets, stapled in
> the middle) has pages 2 and 7 printed on the same side of a single
> sheet.  I think this is what the poster wants, and I doubt FullWrite
> does it, since it's useful only in a very few situations, especially since
> laswerwriters don't take paper bigger than legal size.

Au contraire.  That is precisely what FullWrite has - booklet style printing.
Unfortunately, it is unavailable unless you are going to a PostScript device.
There is also a shareware product called PBWriter that will take the PostScript
output from any word processor/page layout program (at least all of them that
I tried) obtained via the Command-F route and print it out as a booklet: two-up,
two-sided, and fit for center stapling.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Macintosh Division
dBASE Mac Development Team
--------------------------
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!

anson@spray.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (06/10/88)

Regarding two-up printing:

I just received a brochure in the mail, from Educorp Computer Services.
On page 22, it lists "PocketBook Writer" (disk #1036). It claims to do
exactly what the original poster wanted, as a separate utility. The disk
costs $8.50.

Educorp has a toll free number: (800) 843-9497 through which you can
presumably obtain further information.

Disclaimer: I have no information about this product, or about Educorp,
except for what is in their brochure. I'm passing this along only because
someone seems to be looking for it.
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      anson@elrond.CalComp.COM