[comp.sys.mac] SIMM auctioneering

cooper@odin.ucsd.edu (Ken Cooper) (06/02/88)

I have been criticized for auctioning SIMMs using electronic media. I'm not
completely sure why, and would like to clarify my perspective on this issue.

I apologize if I've crossed a USENET boundary, but I'm not sure what principle
has been violated. I assume, since there is an established misc.forsale
newsgroup, that the sale of personal items on the net is not taboo.  Further,
since I have only posted two articles relating to these SIMMs, the amount of
net traffic is not at issue either. It is clear then that the use of auctioning
is the source of the problem.

What is it that people object to about auctions?  For the seller, it has
the advantage of allowing the market to set the price; the seller knows
s/he won't be selling the product for less than it's worth.  For the
buyer, it prevents the "damn, I wish I'd checked the news two hours
ago" syndrome. Under the terms I've set, for example, all buyers have
a window of two weeks to see the offer, and determine what they are
willing to pay.  What then are the disadvantages?

It appears a common misperception that auctioning will overinflate the
price. This might be true for Van Gogh's Sunflowers, where there is only one
source for the commodity. In the case of SIMMs, this is clearly false: there
*are* other sources.  Who would be foolish enough to offer me more than they
would pay elsewhere?

For me as a seller, what was the alternative to auctioning?  Forgive me
for acting in my own best interest, but I wanted the best price I could
find (Wouldn't you?).  Since I had no real sense for the value of these
SIMMs, the only other choice I could see was to offer them at an overestimated
price, and drop it in increments until they sold. This would have wasted more
net bandwidth than auctioning by email, and would probably have generated more
controversy as well.

If you find my self interest distasteful and think I'm taking advantage
of this SIMMs shortage, consider the underlying principles of capitalism that
are at work here. If I hadn't expected to get a decent price for these SIMMs,
I would never have offered them -- I rather enjoyed the extra memory headroom.
This is a classic case of Adam Smith's invisible hand at work: as the price
has risen, so has the supply. If it weren't for the greed of potential
suppliers, there would be no supply.

I would appreciate feedback on this subject. I appreciate USENET and the
people who contribute to it, and the last thing I want to do is abuse
its privileges. Nevertheless, I don't think one should accept rules
without examining them first. If auctioning is overstepping the line, I'd like
to know why.

Ken Cooper

ARPA:			cooper%cs@ucsd.edu
UUCP:			...!ucsd!sdcsvax!cooper
COMPUSERVE:		71571,407

cswarren@gershwin.berkeley.edu (Warren Gish) (06/02/88)

In article <5000@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> cooper@odin.ucsd.edu (Ken Cooper) writes:
>I have been criticized for auctioning SIMMs using electronic media. I'm not
>completely sure why, and would like to clarify my perspective on this issue.
>since I have only posted two articles relating to these SIMMs...
Well, now you've posted three articles.  There is also the related net traffic
to consider.

>net traffic is not at issue either.
I think the net traffic and people's time are the major issues.
Auctioning is not really feasible on the net.  Are the bids legally binding?
Is the auctioneer an independent party and accurately representing the high bid?

From my experience reading this newsgroup and others, a posting like
"Item_X for sale, $400 or best offer" would probably not create any furor.
(Before anybody asks, sorry, I'm all out of Item_X :-)

>Ken Cooper
>
>ARPA:			cooper%cs@ucsd.edu
>UUCP:			...!ucsd!sdcsvax!cooper
>COMPUSERVE:		71571,407

Warren Gish
College of Letters & Sciences
133B Barker Hall
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720
(415) 643-9219
cswarren@violet.berkeley.edu
cswarren@ucbviole.bitnet

smh@mhuxu.UUCP (S. M. Henning) (06/02/88)

In article <5000@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, cooper@odin.ucsd.edu (Ken Cooper) writes:
> I have been criticized for auctioning SIMMs using electronic media. I'm not
> completely sure why.

1) The net is not to be used for personal gain.
2) Items on misc.forsale are there for the convenience of the seller and the
   buyer.
3) Placing an item on misc.forsale more than once only benefits the seller.
4) Placing an item forsale on another news group is rude.
5) Placing an item forsale more than once on a news group is very rude.
6) Conducting an auction on any group is extremely rude.

P.S. Simms are readily available off the shelf from a number of dealers
at market prices.  For details look at the adds in Mac magazines or
send me mail.

****                    Lang May Your Lum Reek                      ****
Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA           UUCP: att!mhuxu!smh

rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) (06/04/88)

Posting of SIMMS for sale on comp.sys.mac is not innappropriate.
I read the net(only a very few newsgroups for lack of time) for my
personal gain in knowledge and oppurtunity.  Reading misc.forsale
would be too time consuming when I wish to limit my reading material
to macintosh topics.  I see no harm in one posting.

I do have a question.  Could someone please e-mail me a summary or
description of Ultima for the mac?
Thanks in advance...

R. Scott V. Paterson  1990 Dartmouth College
Software & Hardware Development for the 'Sun' Project
10,000,000,000 B.C.
"Everyone likes a tan."                       rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
         -God                                 rsvp@dartcms1.bitnet

atchison@hpindda.HP.COM (Lee Atchison) (06/09/88)

I too see nothing wrong with selling used or excess Macintosh equipment
in the macintosh notes groups.  I also don't see a problem with asking
for bids and taking the highest bidder.  Someone prior mentioned that
most sites get net.forsale (or whatever it is called).  That is not the
point.  The point is that some people (like me, for example) don't want
to read net.forsale.  It's just yet another newsgroup to wade through.
And no, I can't use kill files, etc.  I use 'notes', not 'rn' at this
site and kill groups don't exist.  Besides, the argument that kill files
can be used can also be used as an argument to allow them in the Mac
groups as those people who don't want to read about items for sale can
simply put a "*for*sale*" (or equivalent) in their kill files and ignore
them all together.

Also, the amount of traffic on the Mac groups dedicated to people selling
stuff hasn't been all that high (this discussion has taken more bandwidth).

My opinion is that the selling on Mac groups is fine.

			-lee
----
Lee Atchison
Hewlett Packard, Business Networks Division
Cupertino, CA 95014
atchison%hpindda@hplabs.hp.com

walter@garth.UUCP (Walter Bays) (06/13/88)

In article <6500030@hpindda.HP.COM> atchison@hpindda.HP.COM (Lee Atchison) writes:
>those people who don't want to read about items for sale can
>simply put a "*for*sale*" (or equivalent) in their kill files and ignore
>them all together.

Yes, that's easy.  What's difficult is putting a line in your for.sale
kill file to ignore everything not related to the Macintosh.
I think this line does it:
My opinions are my own.  Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.
E-Mail route: ...!pyramid!garth!walter		(415) 852-2384
USPS: Intergraph APD, 2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, California 94303