[comp.sys.mac] Who moderates comp.mac.binaries

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (06/10/88)

> Can someone please tell me who moderates comp.mac.binaries, and are
> they FTP-able?

submissions are made to macintosh@felix.uucp, but the files are not archived
there or anywhere else that I am aware off.

However, if you can FTP to rascal.ics.utexas.edu at 128.83.144.1
you should be able to find most Macintosh files recently posted or archived
at SUMEX.  I won't guarantee either service nor completeness, but there it
is .... (anonymous ftp, in sub-directory mac ..)

a collection of older files and posted articles can be found on several other
sites which should be encouraged to identify themselves.  After all,
if enough archive-sites "admit" to archiving and make their archives available
not only to local networks but for anonymous-FTP to the larger Internet-com
munity, no single site would get overly burdened by too many people retrieving
archived files.

BTW, in my experience communicating with the moderator has been exceptionally
bad, which I suspect can be partially blamed at the bizarre behavior of some
hosts through which mail seems to get routed.  In over a year, I have been
able to raise the moderator once (his mail to me may have gotten lost) and
have *NEVER* received an acknowledgement of any files I sent to him.
This has resulted in me, basically, no longer being able to make files
available to you.

Which makes me wonder, if others have had similar experiences, it might
be a good idea to try to find a moderator at a better connected site.
After all it is nothing if not fair to pass around the work-burden and the
current moderator has been supporting the Macintosh community with both
sources and binaries single-handedly for quite some time now and deserves
"relief" ...

		Cheers,		---Werner
-------------------------------
werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu

PS: to anticipate the question about archives at NGP:  NGP has been retired
	and the replacement site machine EMX has not restored the mac-archives
	and does have no such plans.

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (06/11/88)

 ==============

>Thanks
>Ofer Melnik

I believe the FTP'ing of site personal involves Top Secret technologies,
not yet released for public implementation. -:)

Josh

-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-9515   (school office)

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (06/14/88)

In article <2759@utastro.UUCP> werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:

>BTW, in my experience communicating with the moderator has been exceptionally
>bad, which I suspect can be partially blamed at the bizarre behavior of some
>hosts through which mail seems to get routed.  In over a year, I have been
>able to raise the moderator once (his mail to me may have gotten lost) and
>have *NEVER* received an acknowledgement of any files I sent to him.
>This has resulted in me, basically, no longer being able to make files
>available to you.

I only acknowledge postings that specifically request acknowledgement.
The postings just get put into the queue, and the only contact back to
the poster occurs when something doesn't "check out" when I'm preparing
to post the article.

Regarding mail in and out, as Werner mentioned earlier in his article,

	macintosh@felix.UUCP

is the official mailing address.  If you expect a mail reply, it would
be best if you gave as much return address information as you can.  I
do spend quite a bit of my time as moderator checking and packaging
articles, and I'm not particularly willing to spend an extraordinary
amount of time trying to figure out how to reach someone by mail.

>Which makes me wonder, if others have had similar experiences, it might
>be a good idea to try to find a moderator at a better connected site.
>After all it is nothing if not fair to pass around the work-burden and the
>current moderator has been supporting the Macintosh community with both
>sources and binaries single-handedly for quite some time now and deserves
>"relief" ...

The only assistance that I'm really interested in getting at this time
would be for sites that archive software to identify themselves and
provide that service.  I've made that request in the past, and not
had any replies.
--
	Roger L. Long
	dhw68k!bytebug