[comp.sys.mac] Playboy virus - BEWARE!

thomas@uvabick.UUCP (Thomas Fruin) (05/31/88)

Through a dealer I heard that a new Macintosh virus had been sighted
here in the Netherlands, in Utrecht to be precise.  It was called
Playboy or something similar, and after double clicking rapidly
started showing you pictures of benevolent nude girls, while it was
malevolently busy erasing your hard disk ...

This is all I know.  Just be sure to fight your desire to launch
this nasty.

-- Thomas Fruin

   fruin@hlerul5.BITNET                  University of Leiden
   thomas@uvabick.UUCP                   University of Amsterdam
   dibs@well.UUCP
   hol0066.AppleLink
   2:512/114.FidoNet                     The Netherlands

jimc@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Jim Cathey) (06/02/88)

In article <258@uvabick.UUCP> thomas@uvabick.UUCP (Thomas Fruin) writes:
>Through a dealer I heard that a new Macintosh virus had been sighted
>here in the Netherlands, in Utrecht to be precise.  It was called
>Playboy or something similar, and after double clicking rapidly
>started showing you pictures of benevolent nude girls, while it was
>malevolently busy erasing your hard disk ...

A point of terminology... from the description this sounds like a
'trojan horse' rather than a virus.  A virus is a program that modifies
other programs to spread itself.  A trojan horse just suckers you into
running it (by implying that it's useful/nifty) whereupon it trashes you.

Just trying to be nit-picky, er, ...accurate.

+----------------+
! II      CCCCCC !  Jim Cathey
! II  SSSSCC     !  ISC Systems Corp.
! II      CC     !  TAF-C8;  Spokane, WA  99220
! IISSSS  CC     !  UUCP: uunet!iscuva!jimc
! II      CCCCCC !  (509) 927-5757
+----------------+
			"With excitement like this, who is needing enemas?"

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (06/02/88)

In article <258@uvabick.UUCP> thomas@uvabick.UUCP (Thomas Fruin) writes:
>Through a dealer I heard that a new Macintosh virus had been sighted
>here in the Netherlands, in Utrecht to be precise.  It was called
>Playboy or something similar, and after double clicking rapidly
>started showing you pictures of benevolent nude girls, while it was
>malevolently busy erasing your hard disk ...

Let us be precise with our terminology here:

1.) a virus is a program that runs itself without human intervention,
copying itself onto other programs, so that when they are run, the virus
will continue to propogate.

2.) what you describe is an application, run explicitly by the user that
does one thing, while secretly doing something else.  This properly called
a "trojan horse", or "trojan", which is particularly humorous in this case
since "trojan" is also an American slang word for ...

holland@mips.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (06/09/88)

>>here in the Netherlands, in Utrecht to be precise.  It was called
>>Playboy or something similar, and after double clicking rapidly
>>started showing you pictures of benevolent nude girls, while it was
>>malevolently busy erasing your hard disk ...
>
>2.) what you describe is an application, run explicitly by the user that
>does one thing, while secretly doing something else.  This properly called
>a "trojan horse", or "trojan", which is particularly humorous in this case
>since "trojan" is also an American slang word for ...

Would someone post this?  If all it does is erase the hard disk, we could
safely view the pictures if we run it without a hard [disk] on :-)

The above are not representative of my employer.  Apologies if anyone
is offended.  This is a friendly net, right?

thomas@uvabick.UUCP (Thomas Fruin) (06/14/88)

 holland@mips.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) writes:

 > Would someone post this?  If all it does is erase the hard disk, we could
 > safely view the pictures if we run it without a hard [disk] on :-)

OK, you asked for it - I'll see if I can track it down.

Now does everybody understand why I called it a virus instead of a trojan
horse?  It's spreading already ... :)