[comp.sys.mac] Sony Disks, and What do you need fo

kevin@trsvax.UUCP (06/11/88)

Steven D. Yee (uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!sdy) writes:
> Being the proud (but 1st time owner) of a new Hard disk (CMS SD-60) I'd like
> to know what kind of utililty software you all consider to be essential.
>
> What do you use to back up your HD?

DiskFit, from SuperMac (I think) -- probably the most intelligent
backup program ever written.  It's been described several times in
this group so I won't bother doing it again.

> How many disks do you think 60meg would take (I'll be backing up to floppy)?

Well, I have about 32 meg on my Jasmine Direct Drive 80 and it takes around
42 diskettes.  I thought I was through messing with diskettes when I got
the hard disk!  :-(  So I guess the answer to your question is "a lot".

By the way, you only have to feed all those diskettes in when you do a full
backup of the disk.  For an incremental backup, DiskFit just asks for a few
of them (depending on what's changed on your disk -- it records deletions
as well as additions and changes, so that your backup set is always current.)
Also, DiskFit can also backup to tape cartridges, Bernoulli devices, or
another hard disk.  (I haven't tried any of these.)

Hope this information helps!
Kevin Dack
kevin@trsvax.Tandy.COM

dtw@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Duane Williams) (06/14/88)

DiskFit is a reasonable hard disk backup program, but leaves a lot to be
desired.

>>How many disks do you think 60meg would take (I'll be backing up to floppy)?

A formatted floppy has 785K and you probably won't get better than about 97%
(761K) utilization.  So, (60 * 1024) / 761 = 81 floppy disks.

>By the way, you only have to feed all those diskettes in when you do a full
>backup of the disk.  For an incremental backup, DiskFit just asks for a few
>of them (depending on what's changed on your disk -- it records deletions as
>well as additions and changes, so that your backup set is always current.)

DiskFit often asks for more than a few disks, unless you backup very often.
--
uucp: ...!seismo!cmucspt!me.ri.cmu.edu!dtw
arpa: dtw@cs.cmu.edu