[comp.sys.mac] Mac II backup device; also, hot new drive company

alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (06/14/88)

In article <3218@ut-emx.UUCP> xdaa374@emx.UUCP (Bill Douglass) writes:
>In article <4888@dasys1.UUCP> alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>>I have several CMS T-60 tape backup units. They are the best backup units
>>available for the Macintosh. This is not a simple matter of opinion:
>>
>	I would like to see the tape drive available as a volume from the
>        desktop.  It would be especially nice if I could publish it with
>	Tops.
>Anybody know if this is possible with the CMS T-60?  Thx.

You definitely *DO NOT* want to do this. I believe it's possible with a few
units (not the CMS), but doing so would make backing up to floppies look like
heaven on earth. Why? Because the Finder demands enormous amounts of random
access to its volumes. In other words, it was written for disks, not tapes.
I've seen two drives that allow mounting volumes, and I wouldn't even use this
feature locally.

    Networked 'backup serving' is a reasonable desire. Currently, your best
bet is to create TOPS volumes for that purpose on your hard disk. Then include
those volumes in your backup set when you backup to the tape drive.

    BTW, CMS is coming out with 125 and 150 MByte tape drives soon. Should be
winners.

    There is now a new company to watch. MicroNet is run by Charles F.
McConathy, who was responsible for much of the good stuff done at CMS. I will
probably get some of their stuff sooner or later and let everyone know what I
think. One major feature of their external boxes is a Mac II/SE-like power
supply: It automatically adjusts to multiple voltages and frequencies. If you
travel, this could be worth $$$ to you...

/alexis
--
Alexis Rosen                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Writing from                       {bellcore,harpo,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!alexis