[comp.sys.mac] Fan in the mac II

aff@duke.cs.duke.edu (Amr Fahmy) (06/15/88)

The fan in the mac II is really loud. Is it possible to replace the fan
with a less noisy one ? Is there a 3rd party replacement ?

Apple: It wouldn't have cost much to put a quite fan to begin with or maybe
you made a deal with Jhonson and Johnson 50-50 on the extra Tylenol they
sell :-).

--
Amr F. Fahmy, Dept. of Computer Science, Duke University
Durham, NC 27706-2591.  Phone (919) 684-5110  (ext.248)

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (06/16/88)

In article <11893@duke.cs.duke.edu> aff@duke.cs.duke.edu (Amr Fahmy) writes:

> The fan in the mac II is really loud. Is it possible to replace the fan
> with a less noisy one ? Is there a 3rd party replacement ?

Yes.  Funny you should ask... I replaced the fan in my II last weekend
based on some information that I downloaded from FidoNet last week, and
I'm in the process of writing up step-by-step instructions on how to do
it.  I'll post the whole mess by the end of the week.

It took me 45 minutes, and cost me about $16 to do the replacement;
the new fan is about 70% quieter (subjective measure).
--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303