[comp.sys.mac] MacWrite 5.0

sidhe@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Solas Sidhe--ye faerie fyre) (06/14/88)

I just made MacWrite 5.0 lock up.  I was converting a UNIX vi file to MacWrite
format (which is just newline=return for paragraph breaks...).  Anyway, the file
was big, about 98 pages long.  When I opened the file, I got the usual dialog
that asked me if I wanted to convert it, I clicked on the paragraph button.
So it gives me the watch cursor while it converts the document.  No big deal
yet.  The fun started when I got a beep and the cursor reverted back to the
normal arrow, but no text appeared.  I had the MacWrite menubar and the blank
desktop.  So I tried clicking on the menubar.  Nothing happens, I can't pull
down any menus.  So I try clover-W to attempt to at least close the document.
Didn't work either.  So then I try clover-. to attempt to kill the process.
THAT didn't work.  Now I decide that I'm in big trouble and I use the
programmer's switch to restart the machine, since I can't get out of MacWrite
and I can't get anything in MacWrite to work...

The moral:  I opened it under MS Word 3.02 and it worked fine.

Here's another strange thing:  I never got the Word dialogue to convert the
doc, so it appears that MacWrite at least did do that...I think it just
choked when it tried to display the converted text...

I thought MacWrite wasn't supposed to choke on large files anymore.
I guess I'll have to stick to the Wordprocessor From Hell (tm),
MS Word...

Disclaimer:  The University neither knows nor cares about anything I have to
             say.

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (06/14/88)

In article <3754@saturn.ucsc.edu> sidhe@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Solas Sidhe--ye faerie fyre) writes:

>Anyway, the file
>was big, about 98 pages long.  When I opened the file, I got the usual dialog
>that asked me if I wanted to convert it, I clicked on the paragraph button.
>So it gives me the watch cursor while it converts the document.  No big deal
>yet.  The fun started when I got a beep and the cursor reverted back to the
>normal arrow, but no text appeared.  I had the MacWrite menubar and the blank
>desktop.

Under the older MacWrites (and I assume 5.0 since they did nix to it but add
a Spelling checker, big deal) it takes a year and a day to open a doc of
that size.  I bet if you waited 10 minutes it would have shown up on the
screen.  I once changed the font on a 60 pager on macwrite and it took 7
minutes.

>The moral:  I opened it under MS Word 3.02 and it worked fine.

Word is nice like that.

>Here's another strange thing:  I never got the Word dialogue to convert the
>doc, so it appears that MacWrite at least did do that...I think it just
>choked when it tried to display the converted text...

Nope, word doesn't ask.  It atomatically does LineBreaks (I am pretty sure
about this).  MacWrite didn't choke, it was trying to think... and trying
and trying...

>I thought MacWrite wasn't supposed to choke on large files anymore.

HA!  I'll believe it when I see it.

>I guess I'll have to stick to the Wordprocessor From Hell (tm),
>MS Word...

Aww, it isn't *that* bad... granted, I like FWP better, but for fast write
and print I use MSWord.

>   >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>    >>                   Lee M. Thompson          >>
>     >>    (`             sidhe@ucscb.UCSC.EDU   >>
>    >>    (_)olas (`                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>  >>             (_)idhe    "Verily, I shall stomp their pointy>>
>>>                           little heads into pie plates."  >>
>>>DISCLAIMER: [SARCASM ALERT!] You're just being oversensitive >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

-Andy

Andy J. Williams '90   |Ack Systems: ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu|   _   /|
Software Development   +--------------------------------------+   \`o_O' ACK!
Kiewit Computation Ctr |Hello. Set $NAME='Iinigo Montoya' You |     ( )  /
Dartmouth College      |kill -9 my process.  Prepare to vi.   |      U

Tim_M_Dierks@cup.portal.com (06/16/88)

sidhe@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Solas Sidhe--ye faerie fyre) writes:
>format (which is just newline=return for paragraph breaks...).  Anyway, the
file
>was big, about 98 pages long.  When I opened the file, I got the usual dialog
>that asked me if I wanted to convert it, I clicked on the paragraph button.

If I understand correctly, you told MacWrite that a carriage return signified a
new paragraph, and then handed it a file without any carriage returns (because
they are represented by ^j on Un*x systems.)  So MacWrite tried to make a singl
paragraph, only 98 pages long.  I'm not real surprised it died, you probably
made
some length-of-paragraph counter overflow.

Tim Dierks
Tim_Dierks@cup.portal.com - dierks@ndmath.uucp - C4TKG3@IRISHMVS.BITNET
"Mate, this parrot wouldn't vroom if you put four million volts through it!"