[comp.sys.mac] Any utilities for auto-running apps?

korn@eris.berkeley.edu (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (06/08/88)

In <6186@well.UUCP>, espen@well.UUCP (Peter Espen) said:

>	I know this is asking alot BUT.....
>Are there any utilities that will allow a Mac to run applications
>AND specicfic operations in the applications un-attended at a specific
>time of day?

A possible way of doing this is linking a shell-type program (like MPW
Shell or HyperCard) with a Macro Package (MacroMaker, QuickKeys, etc.).
Have HyperCard/MPW periodically check the time, and then when the proper time
occurs, launch the macro you've set up to do whatever it is you want done.

For example, in HyperCard you might put in your "on idle" script something like:

on idle
	put the time into currentTime
	if currentTime is "3:45" then
		type "command-shift-capsLock-W"
	else if currentTime is "8:15" then
	.
	.
	.
end idle

And you would have your macro package be keyed to "command-shift-capsLock-W",
which might Launch your terminal emulation package, log on, check for mail
and download it locally, exit the terminal program, and reutrn to HyperCard
(where the "on idle" loop will come back into play).

Now if you want your Mac to turn itself on and off, that's another matter.

And speaking of that, I wonder, how many MacII owners would be interested
in such a box that you could program (from, say, a CDEV) to have your
machine turn itself on (and perhaps off) at various times, autolaunching
various and sundry applications (tied in, with, say, a Macro Package of
some sort)?  Just wondering out loud...  would such a (hypothetical) box sell?

Peter
--
Peter "Arrgh" Korn
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

sinteur@uvabick.UUCP (John Sinteur) (06/09/88)

Get a copy of HyperCard, make an 'on startup' do-a-lot-of-things including
launching apps ('print <document> with <app>')
The application must auto-quit however :)
Then, get a timer (a fancy alarm-clock :) and let it ground pin 2 of
your Mac II at the time you want business to start. Make sure
HyperCard is the startup app

-John
:wq

stuart@ihlpe.ATT.COM (S. D. Ericson) (06/09/88)

In article <3824@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu>, korn@eris.berkeley.edu (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) writes:
[replies to a batch control request for the Mac]

> Now if you want your Mac to turn itself on and off, that's another matter.
>
> And speaking of that, I wonder, how many MacII owners would be interested
> in such a box that you could program (from, say, a CDEV) to have your
> machine turn itself on (and perhaps off) at various times, autolaunching
> various and sundry applications (tied in, with, say, a Macro Package of
> some sort)?  Just wondering out loud...  would such a (hypothetical) box sell?
>
> Peter
> --
> Peter "Arrgh" Korn
> korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
> {decvax,dual,hplabs,sdcsvax,ulysses}!ucbvax!korn
I've been waiting for one of these to show up.  It would have to be
reasonably cheap, and should also be able to emulate some sort of "canned"
keystrokes/mouse movements a la` QuicKeys or Tempo II.  Wouldn't it be
nice to wake up to your Mac II playing slowly louder music and some
"classic" graphics to match.  Then, while you get dressed and ready,
good ol' mac presents a calendar of appointments and things to do.

Who knows, maybe it should start the coffee - and fry your eggs? :-)

Stu

--
Stuart Ericson			USnail:		AT&T Bell Laboratories
USENET: ...!ihnp4!ihlpe!stuart			IH 2H210

kennel@minnie.cognet.ucla.edu (Matthew Kennel) (06/11/88)

I don't see how it would be possible to turn ON a computer by running a program
on that very computer!
Once it's off, no CDEV in the world will turn it on again.

bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (06/13/88)

>I don't see how it would be possible to turn ON a computer by running a program
>on that very computer!
>Once it's off, no CDEV in the world will turn it on again.

Sure it will. Just have it control an external device (battery powered,
stays tuned on at low power draw, using CMOS clock or something). The CDEV
loads a clock time or down count into the device, and tells it to turn
off power to the Mac. When the set time comes up (or downcount hits 0),
the device closes the relay that powers the Mac.

No biggy.

Scott Bayes

heuring@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Vincent Heuring) (06/14/88)

In article <13453@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> kennel@minnie.UUCP (Matthew Kennel) writes:
>I don't see how it would be possible to turn ON a computer by running a program
>on that very computer!
>Once it's off, no CDEV in the world will turn it on again.

Perhaps no CDEV can, but a CMOS clock/timer sure could.

| Vince Heuring     Dep't of Electrical & Computer Engineering	|
| University of Colorado - Boulder        heuring@colorado.EDU	|

sinteur@uvabick.UUCP (John Sinteur) (06/16/88)

In article <13453@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, kennel@minnie.cognet.ucla.edu (Matthew Kennel) writes:
> I don't see how it would be possible to turn ON a computer by running a program
> on that very computer!
> Once it's off, no CDEV in the world will turn it on again.

Well, you're quite right. But the trick is of course to have your computer
turned on by some external device (any alarm-clock will do) and have your
favourite application start up automatically. And that CAN be done.

John Sinteur             The value of a program
SINTEUR@UVABICK.uucp,           is proportional
HOL.MIS@AppleLink,            to the weigth of the source code
AERTS@HLERUL5.bitnet,
Disclaimer: MY opinions only, not those of my employer or anyone else.

dudek@csri.toronto.edu (Gregory Dudek) (06/16/88)

>>	I know this is asking alot BUT.....
>>Are there any utilities that will allow a Mac to run applications
>>AND specicfic operations in the applications un-attended at a specific
>>time of day?

>And you would have your macro package be keyed to "command-shift-capsLock-W",
>which might Launch your terminal emulation package, log on, check for mail
>and download it locally, exit the terminal program, and reutrn to HyperCard
>(where the "on idle" loop will come back into play).
>
>Now if you want your Mac to turn itself on and off, that's another matter.
>
>And speaking of that, I wonder, how many MacII owners would be interested
>in such a box that you could program (from, say, a CDEV) to have your
>machine turn itself on (and perhaps off) at various times, autolaunching
>various and sundry applications (tied in, with, say, a Macro Package of
>some sort)?  Just wondering out loud...  would such a (hypothetical) box sell?
>
>Peter "Arrgh" Korn

  Just for the record, I wrote a little program called "MIND" a while
ago that allows you to schedule program launches as well as reminders
and other stuff at various times or dates.  Things like reminders or
autolaunches can happen on bootup, at regular intervals in at specific
times (in a cron-like format).  An eary (i.e. problematic)
version was distributed on UUCP ages ago.  More recent versions
are available on DELPHI and a few other places.  At one time or
another I've tried re-submitting to the net, but could never get to
the moderator.

  Greg Dudek

--
Dept. of Computer Science (vision group)    University of Toronto
Reasonable mailers:  dudek@ai.toronto.edu