[comp.sys.mac] Sun raster files -> MacPaint PLEASE!!!

cordy@qucis.UUCP (Jim Cordy) (06/14/88)

I've seen a lot of hints lately on the net about conversion programs
for converting between various bitmap picture formats.  But I haven't
seen the one I really *need* - one which will take a Sun raster (bitmap)
file and convert it into a MacPaint file.  I'd settle for one that could
take a PostScript bitmap and turn it into MacPaint, even.

PLEASE, PLEASE, *someone* of you picture wizards must have tackled this
or something similar enough for me to hack to use Sun raster files
as input!  If so, PLEASE mail me a copy!!

Thanks
Jim		cordy@qucis.bitnet	cordy%qusic.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu

mesard@bbn.com (Wayne Mesard) (06/17/88)

From article <108@qusunb.UUCP>, by cordy@qucis.UUCP (Jim Cordy):
> I've seen a lot of hints lately on the net about conversion programs
> for converting between various bitmap picture formats.  But I haven't
> seen the one I really *need* - one which will take a Sun raster (bitmap)
> file and convert it into a MacPaint file.  I'd settle for one that could
> take a PostScript bitmap and turn it into MacPaint, even.
>
> PLEASE, PLEASE, *someone* of you picture wizards must have tackled this
> or something similar enough for me to hack to use Sun raster files
> as input!  If so, PLEASE mail me a copy!!
>
> Thanks
> Jim		cordy@qucis.bitnet	cordy%qusic.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu

A few months ago, Jef Poskanzer posted a family of programs to convert
between several different bitmap formats, Macpaint and Sun rasterfile
were among them.  I don't have the whole package.  So if anyone has it
or remembers where it was posted/what archive site to get it from,
please speak up.

In the meantime I'll forward a copy of this message to him, and see what
comes back.

--
unsigned *Wayne_Mesard();        MESARD@BBN.COM        BBN Labs, Cambridge, MA

Is it because of the people you hang around with that you say you do not
need dan rather?
			M-x psychoanalyze-pinhead
(Gee, whataneditor!!)

akk2@ur-tut (Atul Kacker) (06/18/88)

#From article <108@qusunb.UUCP>, by cordy@qucis.UUCP (Jim Cordy):
#
#A few months ago, Jef Poskanzer posted a family of programs to convert
#between several different bitmap formats, Macpaint and Sun rasterfile
#were among them.  I don't have the whole package.  So if anyone has it
#or remembers where it was posted/what archive site to get it from,
#please speak up.

Unfortunately, the program collection has nothing to go from <any format#
to a MacPaint format.  It has a program to go MacPaint to pbm (portable bitmap).
The collection is available for anonymous ftp from expo.lcs.mit.edu.
The decimal address of expo is 18.30.0.212 and the file (I think) is
contrib/pbm.tar.Z in compressed format.  If anyone else has such a program
(<anything> --> MacPaint), I would like to get a copy.

--
Atul Kacker  |     Internet: akk2@tut.cc.rochester.edu

svpillay@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kanthan Pillay) (06/18/88)

In article <108@qusunb.UUCP> cordy@qucis.UUCP (Jim Cordy) writes:
>I've seen a lot of hints lately on the net about conversion programs
>for converting between various bitmap picture formats.  But I haven't
>seen the one I really *need* - one which will take a Sun raster (bitmap)
>file and convert it into a MacPaint file.  I'd settle for one that could
>take a PostScript bitmap and turn it into MacPaint, even.
>
>PLEASE, PLEASE, *someone* of you picture wizards must have tackled this
>or something similar enough for me to hack to use Sun raster files
>as input!  If so, PLEASE mail me a copy!!

We have patched the macpaintopbm and pbmtoraster code to do this. It
works but has not been debugged, (meaning it expects the person using it
to enter something sensible). If you want a copy as is with no
guarantees, send me email.
							Kanthan.

--
Do I really need a signature?