[comp.sys.mac] Can FullWrite do this?

fang@dukempd.UUCP (Fang Zhong) (06/03/88)

       I want to have a superscript directly above a subscript in a line of
text. I realize that I can do this in Expressionist or MacEqn then paste it
into the text, but this is not acceptable. The problem is that the subscript
is aligned with the text line while the character being subsripted and
superscripted is shifted up. Is there any solution to this problem using
FullWrite?

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (06/03/88)

>       I want to have a superscript directly above a subscript in a line of
>text. I realize that I can do this in Expressionist or MacEqn then paste it
>into the text, but this is not acceptable. The problem is that the subscript
>is aligned with the text line while the character being subsripted and
>superscripted is shifted up. Is there any solution to this problem using
>FullWrite?

I'm not sure exactly what you want. If you want a superscript of a
subscript, you're out of luck. If you want a subscript followed by a
superscript, you're ok.

The superscript/subscript seems to be tied to the line, not to the previous
character. So you end up with something that looks (very roughyl) like:

       5
abcdfg
      4

rather than:

abcdefg
	5
       4

(Gads. Trying to make it even look CLOSE makes me glad I've got something
more than an ascii screen...)

Hope this helps.

chuq

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

	Robert A. Heinlein: 1907-1988. He will never truly die as long as we
                           read his words and speak his name. Rest in Peace.

jas@cadre.UUCP (06/03/88)

Pierce is right.  To get a word with a super and subscript on top of each
other, just choose sub and superscript, respectively typing in their values,
then kern them with negative values until they are above and below.
Works
fine.

Jeffrey Sullivan			  | University of Pittsburgh
jas@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu		  | Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS.BITNET, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP | Graduate Student

pollock@usfvax2.EDU (Wayne Pollock) (06/18/88)

In article <1242@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> jas@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Jeffrey A. Sullivan) writes:
>Pierce is right.  To get a word with a super and subscript on top of each
>other, just choose sub and superscript, respectively typing in their values,
>then kern them with negative values until they are above and below.
>Works fine.

Well, it may work, but I'd hardly call this working "fine".  So I have to keep
kerning, by trial and error, until it looks right?  Doesn't FWP allow a simple
overstrike? I hope they fix this in the next release (maybe overstrikes,
superscripted subscripts, etc. will be part of a mathematical or equation
package that FWP will probably add in the future).  I also don't like (who
does?) some of the other "trial and error" methods I've heard about -- pasting
a sidebar I think.

Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)	pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu
Usenet:		...!{ihnp4, cbatt}!codas!usfvax2!pollock
GEnie:		W.POLLOCK