[comp.sys.mac] Question about multitasking on the mac

bmartin@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Brian Martin) (06/05/88)

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the Mac world, having acquired my mac just six months
ago, and am hoping someone can provide some answers concerning multiple
processes under multifinder.

Here's the problem: I start 4th Dimension on one database, then go to
the finder and attempt to start a second 4th Dimension process on a
second database.  But the finder tells me that I'm already running 4th
Dimension.  What's going on here?  Is this a problem with the Mac OS or
with 4th Dimension?  Or am I limited to one 4th Dimension process at a
time?

Even worse, on certain procedures, such as importing 5,000 records into
a 4th Dimension database, the Mac is locked up, and I'm unable to get
to the finder in order to get back to work. This is real annoying,
considering that my machine is essentially unavailable for the several
hours that it takes to import the records into the database.

Just for comparison, on my Apollo, processes and user IDs are tied to
specific windows, not to the entire display. I've found this to be very
useful in simulating a multi-user multi-transaction database
environment, especially when testing the integrity of a certain
design.  For example, I might have six windows on the screen, with user
"john" logged into window_1, user "linda" logged into window_2, etc.
Each window is running its own database process, executing a
specified set a retrievals and updates, with access privileges based on
the user_ID of the person logged into the window that the process is
running in. I've rarely run into situations on the Apollo where a
process running in one window kept me from using the machine for other
activities (the exceptions include certain graphics programs where the
whole screen is used, although this still doesn't prevent other
processes from executing in the background).

Although the Mac OS doesn't seem to support user IDs, 4th Dimension
does.  And I was hoping to be able to run separate 4th Dimension
processes in separate windows, accessing the same database with each
process running under a different user ID. But I can't seem to get my
mac to do this. Is my inexperience with the mac showing, or are my
expectations too high?

System configuration: Mac II, 5MB, 150 MB jasmine, System 4.2/Finder6.0

One final comment. The mac II prices seem excessively high. Apollo's
stated policy is that they will double performance for the same price
and/or halve the price for the same performance every 14--18 months.
Over the past years, they've done an admirable job of staying with
these milestones.  And currently, the DN3010 is less costly than a
similarly-equipped Mac II.  What has Apple's record been with respect
to price/performance goals? Is there any chance that Apple might
implement similar goals?

Thanks for listening,

Brian

-----
    Brian K. Martin, M.D.
    1103 9th Ave., Suite 203
    Honolulu, Hawai`i 96816-2403
    Voice (808) 733-2003
    Fax (808) 733-2011

ARPA: uhccux!medix!martin@nosc.MIL
UUCP: {uunet,dcdwest,ucbvax,ihnp4}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!medix!martin

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) (06/06/88)

In article <1924@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> medix!martin@uhccux.UUCP writes:
>Hi,
>
>I'm fairly new to the Mac world, having acquired my mac just six months
>ago, and am hoping someone can provide some answers concerning multiple
>processes under multifinder.
>
>Here's the problem: I start 4th Dimension on one database, then go to
>the finder and attempt to start a second 4th Dimension process on a
> good descriptiion of the problem.

   Simply answer.  The Macintosh doesn't do Multi-Tasking!!!

   Multi-Finder simply allows you to do context switching between loaded
Applications.  It sort of a method to preload all of the software that you
wish to work with ahead of time, and then quick switch between the already
loaded software.

   There is no concept of a process on the Macintosh, so you can't do what
you were asking.  Despite user expectations, the Mac and personal computers
in general are still single treaded beasts, and will be that way for at least
one more year.

--
David M. O'Rourke

Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

pollock@usfvax2.EDU (Wayne Pollock) (06/18/88)

There is a way to trick the mac into doing what you want.  Make a copy
of the application with a different name!  you should be able to start
both applications now under multifinder.  This may not work for all
applications, particuylarly those which use temporary files with a specific
name (in this cast the second process will trash the first process's files).
If you use this method, make sure you test it out on a copy of your data
first!

Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)	pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu
Usenet:		...!{ihnp4, cbatt}!codas!usfvax2!pollock
GEnie:		W.POLLOCK