[comp.sys.mac] Mac II backup device - reccomendations?

msa@toybox.UUCP (06/04/88)

<>
Hello -
  We are the proud posessors of a Mac II with a personnel system on
  it's 80mb disk.  It has dawned on us that we need a decent backup
  system.  Does anyone out there want to comment on such a beast, say
  a SCSI tape unit (preferrred)?  I'd also like to know about your
  experiences with the supplied (or 3rd party) software.

  please send mail... I'll summarize the responses and post them
  back here.  Thanks.

--
Mark Anacker, US West Network Systems Inc., Bellevue, WA
{...uw-beaver!tikal,...!thebes}!toybox!msa -or- msa@toybox

xdaa374@ut-emx.UUCP (William T. Douglass) (06/10/88)

In article <4888@dasys1.UUCP> alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>I have several CMS T-60 tape backup units. They are the best backup units
>available for the Macintosh. This is not a simple matter of opinion:

[ Favorable review of CMS tape unit ]

I would agree generally with what Alexi says, but I do have one problem:

	I would like to see the tape drive available as a volume from the
        desktop.  It would be especially nice if I could publish it with
	Tops.

Anybody know if this is possible with the CMS T-60?  Thx.

--
Bill Douglass, TCADA

"I dreamed I was to take a test,
 in a Dairy Queen, on another planet."      L. Anderson

fnf@fishpond.UUCP (Fred Fish) (06/14/88)

In article <4888@dasys1.UUCP> alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>I have several CMS T-60 tape backup units. They are the best backup units
>available for the Macintosh. This is not a simple matter of opinion:

How available is programming information for these?  I am attempting to
interface to the Apple 40SC tape unit connected to non-Mac hardware
and am having fits trying to get it to do something useful.  Apple
obviously knows how they work, but they aren't telling.  They say
to call APDA.  APDA wants to sell me something called a SCSI developers
package, but nobody there seems to know if it contains detailed
information about the SCSI commands accepted by the tape drive.
Either it doesn't accept "standard" SCSI commands or I am doing
something wrong.  In either case, it is frustrating sending SCSI
packits at it "blind" and getting no useful results.

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1346 West 10th Place, Tempe, AZ 85281,  USA
# noao!nud!fishpond!fnf                   (602) 921-1113

alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) (06/17/88)

In article <106@fishpond.UUCP> fnf@fishpond.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>In article <4888@dasys1.UUCP> alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>>I have several CMS T-60 tape backup units. They are the best backup units
>>available for the Macintosh. This is not a simple matter of opinion:
>
>How available is programming information for these?  I am attempting to
>interface to the Apple 40SC tape unit connected to non-Mac hardware
>[etc.]

Note that this device is a 60MB TEAC cassette, not a 3M minicartridge. As
a standard TEAC device, you can probably get this info directly from TEAC.
--
Alexis Rosen                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
Writing from                       {bellcore,harpo,cmcl2}!cucard!dasys1!alexis

paulm@nikhefk.UUCP (Paul Molenaar) (06/17/88)

In article <3218@ut-emx.UUCP> xdaa374@emx.UUCP (Bill Douglass) writes:
#In article <4888@dasys1.UUCP> alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
#>I have several CMS T-60 tape backup units. They are the best backup units
#>available for the Macintosh. This is not a simple matter of opinion:
#I would agree generally with what Alexi says, but I do have one problem:
#	I would like to see the tape drive available as a volume from the
#        desktop.  It would be especially nice if I could publish it with
#	Tops.
#
#Anybody know if this is possible with the CMS T-60?  Thx.

If the CMS T-60 is internally compatible with an Apple Tape Backup Unit,
then Diskfit 1.4 should do the trick. It comes with an init that makes
the Tape drive available on the desktop (with a disk icon). This should
allow Tops to publish the drive to the network users.

I find, however that the time required to 'mount' the tape is quite
considerable. It takes a lot of winds and rewinds... all in all something
like a minute (maybe more).

.
. what
. a
. waste
. of
. space
.
        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"
		- Basil Fawlty -
--
        Paul Molenaar

	"Just checking the walls"
		- Basil Fawlty -

landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (06/18/88)

In article <4888@dasys1.UUCP> alexis@dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>I have several CMS T-60 tape backup units.
>4) THIS IS THE FASTEST UNIT YOU CAN BUY, BY A WIDE MARGIN!!!
>   I *CONSISTENTLY* get 4.1 MBytes/minute off of a 1-mbyte Mac II. Pluses and
>   SE's aren't much slower. Extra RAM helps a little.

>However, contrast Apple's 40 MB tape drive, with buggy software, < 1 MB/min.
>speed, and $1300-1400 list price... there's no comparison.

Consider that DAT backup units should be available within the year.
Consider that the data rate for DAT at CD sampling rates is 10.5+ MB/min
(assuming that the software can keep up with that!).

This is all vaporware at the moment, and the price is anyone's guess,
but if you don't need your backup unit right this instant it might be
worth waiting to see what the DAT units look like.

	Howard A. Landman
	landman@hanami.sun.com
	UUCP: sun!hanami!landman

Fabian_Fabe_Ramirez@cup.portal.com (06/19/88)

Paul (and others),

DiskFit 1.41 and the ULDataStream 1.15 INIT are NOT compatible with the Teac
tape drives as they are "streaming tape devices" and not a "block device" as
with the DC2000 tape drives that use the 3M controller.

If you don't have DiskFit 1.41, simply send your DiskFit 1.4 Master diskette to
my attention and I'll send 1.41 back on the same diskette.

Fabian Ramirez
SuperMac Technology
295 N. Bernardo Ave.
Mountain View, CA  94043