[comp.sys.mac] I want my MiniFinder!

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (06/14/88)

I notice that "Larry, John, Steve, and Bruce" have taken the "Install
MiniFinder" command out of the "Special" menu.  Well, I want it back.
We have a situation here where many Mac users have their own setup at
home, and must use a public-access Mac at the college for printing.
What I have done in the past is to have a "printing" disk which
contains word processor, system file, Laser drivers, fonts, and stuff,
and there is hardly enough room for the word processor's scratch
space, let alone the Finder.  The MiniFinder was a logical alternative
to make a bootable disk I could print with.  Now, it's gone, and I
don't know what to do.  Sniff.

*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *

dorner@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu (06/16/88)

>and there is hardly enough room for the word processor's scratch
>space, let alone the Finder.  The MiniFinder was a logical alternative
>to make a bootable disk I could print with.  Now, it's gone, and I
>don't know what to do.  Sniff.

If you don't mind ugly, copy your word processor into the system folder,
trash the Finder, and rename your WP ``Finder''.  You'll boot straight into
it.  I do this all the time (but because I want to run Multifinder
w/out the Finder [the old can't-get-them-simms blues]).

I do agree that the Minifinder was handy for dealing with disk/memory
constraints.  But, as others have noted before, Apple is no longer concerned
with disk/memory constraints; somewhere along the line they decided
that anyone without pockets deep enough for lots of both isn't worth
supporting.

>*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *
----
Internet: dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: seismo!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 333-3339

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (06/20/88)

In article <15200024@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I do agree that the Minifinder was handy for dealing with disk/memory
>constraints.  ...

On a similar topic...
I have an SE with 1 meg., which will happily run Adobe Illustrator.
However, Illustrator '88 demands the latest finder, so I upgraded, and
now it claims to not have enough memory.  The 'about' box informs me
that the system is eating up 395K (!), so I presume this is the problem.
So, I moved all my fonts and DAs out (with the help of Suitcase) and
removed all my INITs, to no avail.  What am I doing wrong?
(I'd even buy more memory, were it available.)

--
Frank Kolnick,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!frank