[comp.sys.mac] FullWrite and a dealer

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (06/19/88)

In article <8806182222.AA23513@decwrl.dec.com> long@rainbo.dec.com (Now HE will ask the questions!) writes:
>Well, this one is interesting.  Just to see what all the hubbub was about
>FullWrite, I went to a dealer this afternoon to try to
>get a demo of the program and to peruse the manuals.  After some moaning
>and groaning on their part, they finally opened a shrink wrapped package
>and let me look at the manuals.  However, they would NOT put the software
>on their in-store Mac so that I could try it out.  Their reasoning was as
>follows:
>
>	- The FullWrite installation apparently modifies the DISTRIBUTION
>disk to write your name, company, and program serial number.  If true, this
>is bogus!  What if you want to sell the software to someone else?  In any
>event, it would seem that all one would have to do is to copy the distribution
>disks, and install from those copies.  Unless of course, the distribution
>disks are copy-protected, which would be doubly bogus.
>
>I tend to suspect that the dealer was just being difficult and ignorant.
>Rich

Yes, Fullwrite does what the dealer said (as do Microsoft Products and many
others nowadays) but yes, he could just have copied the originals befor start-
ing up.

IF the dealer is unwilling to sacrifice one copy for in store demoing, then
he has no right to moan and groan about mail order houses and their lack of
support (Im not  saying this dealer did moan, its just that many do).

I think the dealer should just have opened the pack and sacrificed it.
I would not want to buy it after.  Most dealerships I have seen (I have
seen and worked in many) are so disorganized, some crucial piece of paper
would surely get lost.

Josh

-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-9515   (school office)

) (06/19/88)

[...]

I tend to suspect that the dealer was just being difficult and ignorant.  So, I
never did get to play with the program.  This, from a dealer that advertises
that any software can be opened up and tried out.  Ha!  They claimed A-T had
not shipped them a demo version.  So what?  If they had installed the version I
was shown, all they would have lost is one copy (potentially, and not even that
if they did it right).

So, can anyone comment on the Fullwrite installation?  Was what I was told
correct, or not?

(Some) Computer dealers.  arrggh!!!  Long live MacConnection!!!

Rich

p.s.  Their general attitude was also uncooperative and arrogant.  They
need not fear getting any of my business ever again.

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (06/19/88)

In article <8806182222.AA23513@decwrl.dec.com> long@rainbo.dec.com (Now HE will ask the questions!) writes:

>	- The FullWrite installation apparently modifies the DISTRIBUTION
>disk to write your name, company, and program serial number.  If true, this
>is bogus!  What if you want to sell the software to someone else?  In any
>event, it would seem that all one would have to do is to copy the distribution
>disks, and install from those copies.  Unless of course, the distribution
>disks are copy-protected, which would be doubly bogus.

Well, you can tell them that A-T left those fields quite visible.  Go in
with ResEdit and you will find the name and company that you chose in an STR
resource.  So, you can use it, and then purge it so it looks new again.

-ajw

Andy J. Williams '90   |Ack Systems: ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu|   _   /|
Software Development   +--------------------------------------+   \`o_O' ACK!
Kiewit Computation Ctr |Hello. Set $NAME='Iinigo Montoya' You |     ( )  /
Dartmouth College      |kill -9 my process.  Prepare to vi.   |      U

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (06/20/88)

In article <8949@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) writes:
|In article <8806182222.AA23513@decwrl.dec.com| long@rainbo.dec.com (Now HE will ask the questions!) writes:
|
||	- The FullWrite installation apparently modifies the DISTRIBUTION
||disk to write your name, company, and program serial number.  If true, this
||is bogus!  What if you want to sell the software to someone else?  In any
||event, it would seem that all one would have to do is to copy the distribution
||disks, and install from those copies.  Unless of course, the distribution
||disks are copy-protected, which would be doubly bogus.

Well, actually it dosen't have to modify the distribution disk.  If you just
copy the program onto a hard disk from a distribution disk you can then run
the hard disk copy.  Of course, it'll ask you to enter the serial number,
etc., but then you're only modifying the hard disk copy, not the
distribution copy.  After you demo it you can then delete the hard disk copy
and everything will be fine.

If the dealer dosen't let you do this then you should take your business
elsewhere.

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow          |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-201-836-3673   Address: 671 Forest Avenue, Teaneck, NJ 07666 |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) (06/20/88)

In article <8806182222.AA23513@decwrl.dec.com> long@rainbo.dec.com (Now HE will ask the questions!) writes:
>So, can anyone comment on the Fullwrite installation?  Was what I was told
>correct, or not?

  FWP is not copy protected.  So you could make a copy on to a local HD or
onto another floppy and personalize it there.  Just for the record you make
it sound as thought this is a new idea.  Well MicroSoft, Living Video Text, and
Claris Software {just to name a few} require you to personalize the software
before you run it.

  I probably shouldn't put this on the net, but if you look at FWP with
ResEdit in the 'STR ' section you might find something interesting after you
personalize your copy.

--
David M. O'Rourke

Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

dwb@Apple.COM (David W. Berry) (06/21/88)

In article <5120@super.upenn.edu> hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Josh Hodas) writes:
>In article <8806182222.AA23513@decwrl.dec.com> long@rainbo.dec.com (Now HE will ask the questions!) writes:
>>	- The FullWrite installation apparently modifies the DISTRIBUTION
>>disk to write your name, company, and program serial number.  If true, this
>Yes, Fullwrite does what the dealer said (as do Microsoft Products and many
>others nowadays) but yes, he could just have copied the originals befor start-
>ing up.
	Actually, if you copy the original distribution onto a hard disk
or another floppy disk and then run the copy, it all works fine.  You wind
up customizing (ie., putting your name and a serial number) into the copy.
The original remains pristine.

>>I tend to suspect that the dealer was just being difficult and ignorant.
	That's a better guess.  Although they still might have had to
sacrifice one copy since they might not be able to sell the one with
the shrink opened.

--
Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry
apple!dwb@sun.com	dwb@apple.com	973-5168@408.MaBell