[comp.sys.mac] system 6.0 upgrade problem

tow@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Robert Francis Tow) (06/16/88)

Last night I upgraded my Mac to the new 6.0 system release, using the MacPlus
installer script. I also ran the boot block fixup program (obtained from
Compuserve). Everything seemed to work just fine - except that my 80meg cms
drive will not boot! I have to boot of a floppy, and can then transfer control
to finder or mukltifinder on the hard drive; but the hard drive will not
boot by itself.

Suggestions?

carlton@ji.Berkeley.EDU (Mike Carlton) (06/18/88)

In article <912@parcvax.Xerox.COM> tow@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Robert Francis Tow) writes:
>Last night I upgraded my Mac to the new 6.0 system release, using the MacPlus
>installer script. I also ran the boot block fixup program (obtained from
>Compuserve). Everything seemed to work just fine - except that my 80meg cms
>drive will not boot! I have to boot of a floppy, and can then transfer control

It sounds like you trashed the boot blocks.  As someone posted here, there is
a new version of the boot blocks -- so if your fixup program hasn't been
updated you've 'fixed' them to the wrong version.

The readme file distributed with the upgrade makes a big deal about booting
off of the upgrade disk (or using the Installer).  It's kind of funny as they
are afraid to mention something as dirty as boot blocks: "Make sure you start
with FooBar disk so certain special parts of the disk get updated," (or some-
thing to that effect).

Use the Installer or boot from the upgrade disk and recopy System and Finder,
I believe that causes the boot blocks to be recopied.

good luck,

mike (carlton@ji.berkeley.edu   ...!ucbvax!ji!carlton)
problem (or use the installer).

dgold@Apple.COM (David Goldsmith) (06/18/88)

In article <912@parcvax.Xerox.COM> tow@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Robert Francis Tow) writes:
>Last night I upgraded my Mac to the new 6.0 system release, using the MacPlus
>installer script. I also ran the boot block fixup program (obtained from
>Compuserve).

The bbot block fixup program is for an older system release.  If you install
the new system using the supplied installation scripts, your boot blocks
should be set correctly.
--
David Goldsmith                                           Apple Computer, Inc.
AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1    BIX: dgoldsmith        20525 Mariani Avenue, MS: 27AJ

blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (06/19/88)

David Goldsmith (dgold@apple.apple.com.UUCP) writes:
|In article <912@parcvax.Xerox.COM> tow@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Robert Francis Tow) writes:
|>Last night I upgraded my Mac to the new 6.0 system release, using the MacPlus
|>installer script. I also ran the boot block fixup program (obtained from
|>Compuserve).

As I mentioned in comp.sys.mac, I have the same problem with my CMS 80Meg drive
not booting with System 6.0 installed.

|The bbot block fixup program is for an older system release.  If you install
|the new system using the supplied installation scripts, your boot blocks
|should be set correctly.

I've done this, and it still doesn't work.  About the only thing I
haven't tried is reformatting the drive and starting fresh.  I haven't
tried it because I don't have time to restore about 60 Meg of stuff from
backups, and it's not at all clear that it would help.  Anyone have any
other ideas?

--
Brian L. Matthews  blm@cxsea.UUCP   ...{mnetor,uw-beaver!ssc-vax}!cxsea!blm
+1 206 251 6811    Computer X Inc. - a division of Motorola New Enterprises

tow@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Robert Francis Tow) (06/19/88)

In article <2420@cxsea.UUCP> blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:
>David Goldsmith (dgold@apple.apple.com.UUCP) writes:
>|In article <912@parcvax.Xerox.COM> tow@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Robert Francis Tow) writes:
>|>Last night I upgraded my Mac to the new 6.0 system release, using the MacPlus
>|>installer script. I also ran the boot block fixup program (obtained from
>|>Compuserve).
>
>As I mentioned in comp.sys.mac, I have the same problem with my CMS 80Meg drive
>not booting with System 6.0 installed.
>
>|The bbot block fixup program is for an older system release.  If you install
>|the new system using the supplied installation scripts, your boot blocks
>|should be set correctly.
>
>I've done this, and it still doesn't work.  About the only thing I
>haven't tried is reformatting the drive and starting fresh.  I haven't
>tried it because I don't have time to restore about 60 Meg of stuff from
>backups, and it's not at all clear that it would help.  Anyone have any
>other ideas?
>
>Brian L. Matthews  blm@cxsea.UUCP   ...{mnetor,uw-beaver!ssc-vax}!cxsea!blm
>+1 206 251 6811    Computer X Inc. - a division of Motorola New Enterprises

We have exactly the same situation with our machines - we have followed
(apparently) correct upgrade procedures, and have large cms hard drives
that hang displaying the "welcome to Macintosh" notice, with the drive
light on. What is most annoying though, is that I have received a number of
inane replies to my posting, all of the ilk of "simply follow the directions".
I *did* follow the directions; there apparently is something special about
having a 80meg cms drive!

Like you, I hesitate to back up a nearly full drive and reformat (my drive
is currently hovering around 74 megabytes); especially as it is not
obvious that this will accomplish anything.

Is there anyone else out there with a cms drive who is having problems? Is
there anyone from cms listening? Perhaps someone from Apple might place
some credence in our reports?

I know that Apple cannot possibly test out their software with every
possible hardware configuration; still, this is particulary annoying as the
only response to our reports of problems is that we could not have
followed the directions!

Rob Tow
Member Research Staff
Electronic Document Lab
Xerox Palo Alto Research Center
3333 Coyote Hill Road
Palo Alto CA. 94304

gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (06/20/88)

I have a CMS 80meg drive, and a Mac Plus.  I don't have the 6.0 release, yet.
This exact problem (reaching the "Welcome to Macintosh" screen, then hanging)
happened to me when I first got the drive.  It seems that using both
Macsbug and StartUpScreen was a problem.  CMS said merely "There is a bug
in the original MacPlus ROMs".
--
  Gerald A. Edgar                               TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet
  Department of Mathematics                     gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu

dxjsb@dcatla.UUCP (Jack S. Brindle) (06/20/88)

Try calling CMS. It appears the problem may actually be in their drivers. The
problem will not be solved by reinitializing the drive...
Good luck.
Jack B.

carlton@ji.Berkeley.EDU (Mike Carlton) (06/21/88)

>> descriptions of problems with large cms disks

I have a Pro-102 by CMS running in a Mac II.  I used the installer and
have not had any problems.  One poster suggested possible startup screen
problems and another suggested driver problems.

I don't use any startup screens and a small collection of inits.  I would
suggest removing anything extra (i.e. startup screen and all inits) and
updating with the installer.  If this still fails, check with cms.

dan@Apple.COM (Dan Allen) (06/22/88)

In article <614@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Gerald Edgar) writes:

>I have a CMS 80meg drive, and a Mac Plus.  I don't have the 6.0 release, yet.
>This exact problem (reaching the "Welcome to Macintosh" screen, then hanging)
>happened to me when I first got the drive.  It seems that using both
>Macsbug and StartUpScreen was a problem.  CMS said merely "There is a bug
>in the original MacPlus ROMs".

Once upon a time, a long time ago, there was a conflict between a now
very old version of MacsBug and the StartUpScreen INIT that keeps the
StartupScreen around all the time.

Any version of MacsBug since 5.3 should work fine, and no, there is not
a bug that I am aware of in the Mac Plus ROMs that is related to this
issue.  Ideally you should be using MacsBug 5.5, which works on the Mac
Plus, Mac SE, and Mac II, and with any RAM size from 512K to 4 MB (8 MB
on a Mac II).

Dan Allen
Software Explorer
Apple Computer

herbw@midas.TEK.COM (Herb Weiner) (06/22/88)

--------

Several people have commented that they are having problems upgrading their
CMS 80 MB drives to System 6.0.  (I have *not* yet upgraded mine.  I'll wait
for Apple to fix some of the problems first...)  The symptoms described (the
drive hangs after displaying "Welcome to Macintosh" sound a lot like the
problem I had when I first installed our drives.  This is what I found:

CMS 80 MB drives *do not work* with AutoBlack, that marvelous little screen
saver that gets named MacsBug and uses the alternate screen buffer in the
Mac Plus.  The drive hangs *exactly* the same way (after displaying "Welcom
to Macintosh").

My theory: The driver for the CMS drives was not correctly written, and thus
is somehow dependent upon the memory layout in the machine.  This changed
with System 6.0, and the CMS driver broke.  CMS, shame on you!

                                 Herb Weiner
                                 UUCP: !tektronix!midas!herbw
                                 AppleLink: D0521