[comp.sys.mac] SE/II-compatible XLISP ?

macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) (06/20/88)

I have had a local inquiry for a version of XLISP that works with the
new system / machines. Does such a beast exist ? my last XLISP version
(I think it is version 1.4) generates the so typical "compiled under
system version lower than 4.2" address error.

-- Danny

| Mail   :   Danny Schwendener, ETH Macintosh Support Center            |
|            Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, CH-8092 Zuerich     |
| Bitnet :   macman@czheth5a      UUCP   :   {cernvax,mcvax}ethz!macman |
| Ean    :   macman@ifi.ethz.ch   Voice  :   yodel three times          |

erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) (06/21/88)

In article <472@ethz.UUCP>, macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) writes:
> I have had a local inquiry for a version of XLISP that works with the
> new system / machines. Does such a beast exist ? my last XLISP version
> (I think it is version 1.4)
> -- Danny

1.4 is pretty old ('85, '86?). The most recent version of XLISP,
I believe, is 2.0, and it is available on BIX (the Byte Magazine
Information Exchange -- one of the few good things about Byte).
The executable is available as a stuffit package in the listings (files)
group (look in the LISP area of the listings group).  The Mac version
comes with Lightspeed C files for the operating system dependent code --
the rest of the source is available as a PC ARC file.

XLISP 2.0 runs just fine on my SE, using the system software 5.0
(Finder 6.0, MultiFinder 1.0, and System 4.2).

David Betz, the author of XLISP, also ran (at least last time I logged on)
a discussion topic (lisp/xlisp) on his system.

Hope this helps,
Eric
--
Eric F. Johnson          | Phone +1 612-894-0313             | Are we
Prime Automation,Inc     | UUCP: bungia!pai!erc              | having

stejk@caen.engin.umich.edu (Steven J Kassarjian) (06/21/88)

In article <472@ethz.UUCP>, macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) writes:
> I have had a local inquiry for a version of XLISP that works with the
> new system / machines. Does such a beast exist ? my last XLISP version
> (I think it is version 1.4) generates the so typical "compiled under
> system version lower than 4.2" address error.

I too am interested in learning/using lisp on the mac.  The latest
version I've been able to find here at UM is 1.7.  XLISP 1.7 crashes on
my SE also, but doesn't give the above error.  I can get my hands on the
source code (in C) but I know essentially zero about programming in C.

If anyone has more information, please drop me (us) a line, e-mail.
Thanks.

steve kassarjian
stejk@caen.engin.umich.edu

cole@sas.UUCP (Tom Cole) (06/22/88)

In article <472@ethz.UUCP>, macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) writes:
> I have had a local inquiry for a version of XLISP that works with the
> new system / machines. Does such a beast exist ? my last XLISP version
> (I think it is version 1.4) generates the so typical "compiled under
> system version lower than 4.2" address error.
>
> -- Danny

I have XLISP 1.7, which seems to work just fine on my Mac II with the new
systems.  Of course, I haven't put it through much of a stress test.

And if that doesn't work for whatever you are doing, you could always get
the sources to 1.7 (the latest version I know about).  They are certainly
available on GEnie in the MACPRO library.

I just downloaded them myself last night to convert to LightSpeedC(tm)
because I want something nice and complicated to try out with my new LSC
debugger, if it gets here anytime soon.... ;-)

Tom Cole
SAS Institute
{anywhere}mcnc|rti|sas|cole

Opinions?  No thanks, I gave at the office.

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (06/22/88)

In article <559@sas.UUCP> cole@sas.UUCP (Tom Cole) writes:
>In article <472@ethz.UUCP>, macman@ethz.UUCP (Danny Schwendener) writes:
-- I have had a local inquiry for a version of XLISP that works with the
-- new system / machines. Does such a beast exist ? my last XLISP version
-- (I think it is version 1.4) generates the so typical "compiled under
-- system version lower than 4.2" address error.

>I have XLISP 1.7, which seems to work just fine on my Mac II with the new
>systems.  Of course, I haven't put it through much of a stress test.

>And if that doesn't work for whatever you are doing, you could always get
>the sources to 1.7 (the latest version I know about).  They are certainly
>available on GEnie in the MACPRO library.

There is an XLISP 2.0 which works on the Mac II.  I got it from Mass
Mac and Electric and passed it on to a few people.  Unfortunately,
Mass Mac and Electric appears to have passed on, as well.  (It hasn't
answered the phone in about a month.)  Someone to whom I sent it said
he would forward it to sumex, but I don't know if he ever did.  I
haven't checked, but I'd count it as more than likely that the Boston
Computer Society has it in their Mac software collection.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

     On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put
     into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?"