[comp.sys.mac] How can I remap the MacPlus keyboard?

fjo@ttrdf.UUCP (Frank Owen ) (06/14/88)

  I would like to switch the "Caps Lock" key on my MacPlus keyboard
with the command (clover,propeller, whatever) key.  Is there an
easy (non-hardware) way to do this?  I looked at the Tech notes
on this subject, and I think what I need to do is to change the
KMAP resource in the System file, however, if I change it, it
seems to have no affect. I think this is used only on > SE class
machines.  Changing the mapping in the KCHR resource does work, but
only for non-modifier keys. (KCHR can be alterred to produce alternative
layouts like Dvorak, for example.)
  I realize that I'll have to disable the hardware locking mechanism
of the key, but I can handle that.(I think).

Frank Owen (fjo@ttrdf)  312-982-2182
AT&T Information Systems
Computer Systems Division, 5555 Touhy Ave., Skokie, IL  60077
PATH:  ...!ihnp4!ttrdf!fjo
--

tecot@Apple.COM (Ed Tecot) (06/23/88)

In article <680@ttrdf.UUCP> fjo@ttrdf.UUCP (Frank Owen ) writes:
>  I would like to switch the "Caps Lock" key on my MacPlus keyboard
>with the command (clover,propeller, whatever) key.  Is there an
>easy (non-hardware) way to do this?  I looked at the Tech notes
>on this subject, and I think what I need to do is to change the
>KMAP resource in the System file, however, if I change it, it
>seems to have no affect. I think this is used only on > SE class
>machines.  Changing the mapping in the KCHR resource does work, but
>only for non-modifier keys. (KCHR can be alterred to produce alternative
>layouts like Dvorak, for example.)

You're right.  KMAPs are only for ADB.  KCHRs are for everyone (they're not
just for breakfast anymore).  There is no "blessed" way to do this.  FYI,
KMAPs are owned by the keyboard hardware creator; changing them is a no-no.
However, whatever you do in the privacy of your own home is your business.
So, if you REALLY want to do this, the best thing I can recommend is to
patch KeyTrans and PostEvent.  Some things may slip through the cracks, since
the code that you want to disable is the interrupt routine in ROM, but I
don't recommend that unless you really know what you are doing.

>  I realize that I'll have to disable the hardware locking mechanism
>of the key, but I can handle that.(I think).

Yes, you'll have to do that too.

						_emt