[comp.sys.mac] RAM upgrades

engber@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Mike Engber) (06/17/88)

If anyone has any experience with the DOVE, MacSnap Plus 2 upgrade I'd
appreciate their comments. I'm considering buying one so I can use the
debugger in LSC 3.0. Will I need to get a fan also?

Please send responses e-mail

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (06/19/88)

In article <5844@spool.cs.wisc.edu> engber@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (Mike Engber) writes:
>If anyone has any experience with the DOVE, MacSnap Plus 2 upgrade I'd
>appreciate their comments. I'm considering buying one so I can use the
>debugger in LSC 3.0. Will I need to get a fan also?

	I've put several in machines here at work. I've found that the fit
isn't perfect, so you have to be careful about reseating the Dove SIMMs.
Otherwise, installation is straightforward (no resistors to cut or anything)
and doesn't seem to place much heat load on the Mac.

Rich

Rich Siegel
Quality Assurance Technician
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: singer@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!singer
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

steve@hpiacla.HP.COM (Steve Witten) (06/20/88)

I'll echo Rich's sentiments.  I had a couple of problems though...

	1).  The installation directions weren't very clear so I put the case
	back together without re-installing the Apple SIMMs in the prescribed
	manner.  When I turned on the machine, nothing.  After replacing the
	Apple SIMMs in the correct manner, everything was fine.  I also had a
	slight problem with fitting the logic board back into its slot after
	the Dove SIMMs were installed.

	2).  You may need to adjust the Mac+'s power supply.  I forget the
	required setting but the Dove technical support folks can give you the
	details.  You'll need a voltmeter and steady hands for this...

BE SURE YOU ARE WORKING AT A STATIC-FREE WORKSTATION WHEN YOU INSTALL YOUR
UPGRADE OR YOU COULD BLAST IT INTO OBLIVION!!!!!!!!!

Steve Witten                    steve%hpiacla@hplabs.HP.COM
Industrial Applications Center  {ucbvax, hplabs}!hpda!hpdsla!hpiacla!steve
Hewlett-Packard Co.             steve@hpiacla

"...I feel in touch with the modern world!..."  --J. Richman

syap@ur-tut (James Fitzwilliam) (06/24/88)

In article <4860008@hpiacla.HP.COM> steve@hpiacla.HP.COM (Steve Witten) writes:
*
*	2).  You may need to adjust the Mac+'s power supply.  I forget the
*	required setting but the Dove technical support folks can give you the
*	details.  You'll need a voltmeter and steady hands for this...
*
The voltage should be between 4.98 and 5.00 volts.  I seem to recall the need
to use a plastic screwdriver to prevent interference from the video circuitry
from throwing off the reading.

There's a very helpful article on installing memory on p. 144 of the May 88
MacWorld.  Now if there was any available memory for me to install...  )-:

[I called places all over the country.  The only placed I found with 1 meg
SIMMs in stock had exactly 16 of them, going for $500 a pop.  I think I'll
wait until things settle down.  This is yet another example of how protect-
ionism aids the American people.]

                                         James

domain: syap@tut.cc.rochester.edu
  path: rochester!ur-tut!syap             "Piano is my forte"  (-:
 GEnie: FITZWILLIAM