[comp.sys.mac] WordPerfect translation?

derek@mind.UUCP (Derek Gross) (06/23/88)

Is there currently any way to translate [Mac] Word 3 (or FWP or MacWrite - I'm
not picky) files to [PC] WordPerfect format?  Maybe an AFX translator, or a
new version of MacLink that I haven't heard about?  (I'm advising someone
who's about to get a Mac to use at home and wants to be able to exchange files
with the PC at the office.)

Thanks,

	Derek Gross
	derek@mind.princeton.edu

--
|``I hope something GOOD came in the mail today so I have a REASON to live!!''|
|		    Derek Gross == derek@mind.princeton.edu		      |

ho@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Alex Ho) (06/23/88)

In article <2558@mind.UUCP> derek@mind.princeton.edu (Derek Gross) writes:
>Is there currently any way to translate [Mac] Word 3 (or FWP or MacWrite - I'm
>not picky) files to [PC] WordPerfect format?

i don't know if this is the easiest solution, but you could just get
wordperfect for the mac. it'll read macwrite, ascii and (i believe)
ms word 3.0x files and save them in a pc format.

>	Derek Gross
>	derek@mind.princeton.edu

---

alex ho
university of california, berkeley             ho@svax.cs.cornell.edu
a confused eecs major (spending the summer at) cornell university

akk2@ur-tut (Atul Kacker) (06/24/88)

In article <2558@mind.UUCP> derek@mind.princeton.edu (Derek Gross) writes:
>Is there currently any way to translate [Mac] Word 3 (or FWP or MacWrite - I'm
>not picky) files to [PC] WordPerfect format?  Maybe an AFX translator, or a
>new version of MacLink that I haven't heard about?  (I'm advising someone
>who's about to get a Mac to use at home and wants to be able to exchange files
>with the PC at the office.)

There are several ways of doing this :

1. Use Microsoft Word 3.0 to save your files in Interchange (RTF) format.
   Use the DCA Conversion program that comes with Word to convert this RTF
   file to DCA/RFT format.  Transfer the resulting file to the PC using a
   binary file transfer protocol.  Use the Convert program that comes with
   PC Word Perfect to convert the DCA file to Word Perfect format.  This works
   fairly well.

2. Use MacLink Plus to do both the transfer as well as the translation.  The
   latest version of MacLink Plus (Version 2.11) supports Word Perfect format.

3.  Use Apple File Exchange to convert your file to DCA, transfer to the PC
    and then use Word Perfect Convert.  A MacWrite to DCA translator comes with
    the Release 6.0 of Apple System software.

4.  Use Word Perfect on the Mac to open the MS Word file, save in PC Word
    Perfect format, transfer to the PC.

There are other ways, using DaynaLink, LapLink Plus or using Mac286.

--
Atul Kacker  |     Internet: akk2@tut.cc.rochester.edu

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (06/24/88)

> In article <2558@mind.UUCP> derek@mind.princeton.edu (Derek Gross) writes:
>>Is there currently any way to translate [Mac] Word 3 (or FWP or MacWrite - I'm
>>not picky) files to [PC] WordPerfect format?
>>	Derek Gross
>>	derek@mind.princeton.edu

Try MacLink from DataViz. We have it here and it works fine for this purpose.
It does several other
translations
as
well.

--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121