[comp.sys.mac] Japanese

SSROY@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Steve Scot Roy) (06/19/88)

Does anybody out there know of a Japanese word processor
for the Mac?  How much does it cost?  Thanks.
                         Steve Roy

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (06/20/88)

SSROY@pucc.Princeton.EDU(Steve Roy) writes in comp.sys.mac

>Does anybody out there know of a Japanese word processor
>for the Mac?  How much does it cost?  Thanks.
>                         Steve Roy

	The only specific Japanese word processor that I know about is EG-Word. I
don't, nor have ever, used it (as I don't speak Japanese), but I have been told
that it is 'alright'.
	What you really want, however, (here I go again, right...) is a Script
Manager compatible word processor and a copy of the Kanji Interface System. The
Kanji Interface System is VERY well done and is constantly improving.  Another
nice aspect of it is that you can use it in ANY application (well some appli-
cations works better than others) and have Japanese spreadsheets, graphics
programs, etc.
	As far as Script Manager compatable word processors go, there are only two
that I know of. Niether is more powerful (for the most part) than MacWrite, and
both are Expensive (assuming you can get them at all).  One is aboiut $400 sold
by a company in Chicago, the other is sold by the authors, a French company,
and I belive that price is similar.

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +                                   +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +
+                                 +                                   +

emuroga@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (06/21/88)

  I have heard that EG Word is pretty decent. Unfortunately, I don't know
who makes it or where to get it.

Eisuke Muroga
ARPA		emuroga@m.cs.uiuc.edu
CSNET		emuroga@uiuc.csnet
USENET		uiucdcs!uiucdcsm!emuroga
BITNET		emuroga%m.cs.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd.bitnet

lee@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Fung Lee) (06/21/88)

In article <5506@pucc.Princeton.EDU> SSROY@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>Does anybody out there know of a Japanese word processor
>for the Mac?  How much does it cost?  Thanks.
>                         Steve Roy

There is a Japanese word processor called "EGWord".  I remember seeing
the advertisement in some back issue of MacWorld.
In fact, there is now a Japanese Operating System for the Mac, running
the Japanese Script Interface System, Kanji Talk.  You may contact
APDA (Association Programmer's and Developer's Association) for an order.
Kanji Talk lets you use any Script Manager compatible word processor.
However, the only SM compatible word processor I know of so far is
the simple-minded TeachText.

Fung F Lee (lee@shasta.stanford.edu)

sn0v+@andrew.cmu.edu (Shoichi Nakai) (06/26/88)

In comp.sys.mac, Fung Lee writes:

>In article <5506@pucc.Princeton.EDU> SSROY@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>>Does anybody out there know of a Japanese word processor
>>for the Mac?  How much does it cost?  Thanks.
>>                         Steve Roy
>
>There is a Japanese word processor called "EGWord".  I remember seeing
>the advertisement in some back issue of MacWorld.
>In fact, there is now a Japanese Operating System for the Mac, running
>the Japanese Script Interface System, Kanji Talk.  You may contact
>APDA (Association Programmer's and Developer's Association) for an order.
>Kanji Talk lets you use any Script Manager compatible word processor.
>However, the only SM compatible word processor I know of so far is
>the simple-minded TeachText.
>
>Fung F Lee (lee@shasta.stanford.edu)

Yes, there is a Japanese word processor called "EG Word".  It first came
on the market in 1985 and was upgraded early this year when a new Japanese
operating system, Kanji Talk version 2.0, was introduced.  The early version
of EG Word ran under the ordinary English system along with its own Japanese
fonts but the latest version (3.0) runs only under Kanji Talk 2.0 since it
no longer has its own fonts.  A layout processor called "EG Book" is also
available.  EG Word and EG Book are the products of ELGOSOFT, Tokyo.  A bundle
set costs 98,000 Yen.

Kanji Talk is a Japanese language version of the Macintosh system software
and was upgraded to version 2.0 last February with a lot of new features.
These include the capability of handling more than 7,000 Kanji characters
along with the introduction of two different styles of fonts.  You may replace
the interface for converting phonetic Kana characters into Kanji characters,
which is often refered to as the front-end processor, by one of the products
provided by third-party vendors.  Unfortunately, though, Kanji Talk 2.0
requires a lot of memory and disk spaces.  Running this without a hard disk
is unpractical.  If you have only a megabyte of memory, you will not be able
to run HyperCard.  As a matter of fact, all Japanese Macitoshes are equipped
with two megabytes of RAM.  Since APDA doesn't distribute Kanji Talk 2.0 yet
according to the April issue of its newsletter, you have to look for it
elsewhere.

Kanji Talk 2.0 is based on an older system (System 4.2 and Finder 5.3).  This
means that you can't use Multifinder.  You may want to use both the latest
English system and the Japanese system according to your needs.  This is done
by using "System Switcher" made by Canon.

You may contact Japanese Language Service for ordering these products.  It is
located at
     186 Lincoln St., Boston, MA 02111
     (617) 338-2211

For your information, ELGOSOFT is located at
     3-9-1, Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107, Japan
     (3) 589-4951
Canon is at
     3-11-28, Mita, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108, Japan
     (3) 455-9131
Apple Japan is at
     2-17-22, Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107, Japan
     (3) 582-9181

I hope this helps.

Shoichi Nakai