[comp.sys.mac] Textures and MacTex

woo@pioneer.arpa (Alex Woo) (12/13/87)

I have been using various versions of TeX and LaTeX for several
years and like the fact that it is device independent so that
files created on one machine can be viewed or printed somewhere
else.  Unfortunately I have been very disappointed with TeXtures.
Here are some specific complaints:

1.  It is incomplete since it does not include "initex" or "virtex"
and therefore cannot easily use large macro packages.  Since TeXtures
does not include LaTeX, I mistakenly tried to \input lplain.  This
takes a long time and TeXtures coughs on the embedded form feeds.

2.  TeXtures seems to be able 6 months behind the OS.  Currently, it
is impossible to print under system 5.0 or multifinder.

3.  While the integrated editor/typesetter/previewer is nice, in many
ways I prefer the old fashion environment that is common on mainframes.
I prefer a different editor than TeXtures and I don't want the
overhead of previewing.

Here are some TeX related questions:
a.	Does anyone know of a simple implementation
	of say the C-version of TeX or the original pascal version?
	I would like to feed it a file and have it output a DVI file.
b.	I would like to hear some comments on MacTeX.  Since I have
	a number of home grown macro packages, I am especially
	interested in "initex" and the memory constraints.
c.	What about MathWriter(TM) or MW2TeX(TM) from Cooke Pubs?
	Does it really translate WYSIWYG input correctly or just
	close to what you really want?

Thanks for your comments.

Alex Woo, MS 227-2		|	wu@ames-aero.arpa
NASA Ames Research Center	|	woo@ames-nas.arpa
Moffett Field, CA 94035		|	{seismo,topaz,lll-crg,ucbvax}!
Phone: (415) 694-6010		|	ames!pioneer!woo
  {hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix,menlo70}!ames!pioneer!woo
The author is solely responsible for this message.

In a previous article I wrote:

>1.  It is incomplete since it does not include "initex" or "virtex"
>and therefore cannot easily use large macro packages.  Since TeXtures
>does not include LaTeX, I mistakenly tried to \input lplain.  This
>takes a long time and TeXtures coughs on the embedded form feeds.

Several people have corrected me here.  I didn't realize that TeXtures
has INITEX built in, rather than a separate Application.  I was
wrong here.

Alex Woo

khayo@sonia.cs.ucla.edu (Erazm J. Behr) (12/13/87)

In article <3643@ames.arpa> woo@pioneer.UUCP (Alex Woo) writes:
>I have been using various versions of TeX and LaTeX for several
>years and like the fact that it is device independent so that
>files created on one machine can be viewed or printed somewhere
>else.  Unfortunately I have been very disappointed with TeXtures.
>Here are some specific complaints:
>
>1.  It is incomplete since it does not include "initex" or "virtex"
>and therefore cannot easily use large macro packages.  Since TeXtures
>does not include LaTeX, I mistakenly tried to \input lplain.  This
>takes a long time and TeXtures coughs on the embedded form feeds.
   I'm not surprised! But TeXtures does (if we settle on the singular)
include initex. You can create your formats, as long as you have
enough memory (in the manual it says you need a Mac + to do that, but
you actually need a Mac + *with >700K RAM available* (my estimate). If
you're using a RAM disk, TeXtures may decide to ignore your \dump
commands. A-W are also going to release their macro packages (LATeX
at least - I'm not sure about AMSTeX) soon.>

>2.  TeXtures seems to be able 6 months behind the OS.  Currently, it
>is impossible to print under system 5.0 or multifinder.
   I haven't tried newest systems, but if that's so - call A-W and
*complain*! This would be a major bug. The person to speak to is
Alan Baker at their software? educational? division.

>3.  While the integrated editor/typesetter/previewer is nice, in many
>ways I prefer the old fashion environment that is common on mainframes.
>I prefer a different editor than TeXtures and I don't want the
>overhead of previewing.
   Well, that's a matter of taste - I've always thought the previewer
made the TeX/Mac combination worth 10 times their cost; if I just wanted
mainframe TeX, I would type TeX source in MockWrite or something and then
simply transfer the file to our VAX (actually, I'm doing just that most
of the time - but *after* looking at the typeset pages. Otherwise my
neighbor's Timex/Sinclair would do just as well :-)
   I don't know the answer to any of your questions, but I do have a
complaint about TeXtures: I'm using it with minimal memory/disk space,
so I had only the essentials in the system. What I saw was unbelievably
odd behavior - weird page sizes, bombs, scroll bars worked unreliably etc.
After a while I traced the problem to the absence of a printer driver. A
pre-release vsn. didn't act up like that, and it seems strange to me that
a $450 program would not warn about it like others that need a driver do.
A minor but annoying deficiency.                            Eric

king@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Jim King) (12/14/87)

In article <3643@ames.arpa>, woo@pioneer.arpa (Alex Woo) writes:
> I have been using various versions of TeX and LaTeX for several
> years and like the fact that it is device independent so that
> files created on one machine can be viewed or printed somewhere
> else.  Unfortunately I have been very disappointed with TeXtures.
> Here are some specific complaints:
>
> 1.  It is incomplete since it does not include "initex" or "virtex"
> and therefore cannot easily use large macro packages.  Since TeXtures
> does not include LaTeX, I mistakenly tried to \input lplain.  This
> takes a long time and TeXtures coughs on the embedded form feeds.

"initex" is built into TeXtures, so the \dump command for creating
fast-loading macro files works in TeXtures itself (look under "\dump"
in the manual, the manual with the release version 1.0).

> 2.  TeXtures seems to be able 6 months behind the OS.  Currently, it
> is impossible to print under system 5.0 or multifinder.

True, alas.  Addison-Wesley is saying February, although apparently
there is a fixed version in existence.

----(rest of message deleted)

> Alex Woo, MS 227-2		|	wu@ames-aero.arpa
> NASA Ames Research Center	|	woo@ames-nas.arpa
> Moffett Field, CA 94035		|	{seismo,topaz,lll-crg,ucbvax}!
> Phone: (415) 694-6010		|	ames!pioneer!woo
>   {hplabs,hao,ihnp4,decwrl,allegra,tektronix,menlo70}!ames!pioneer!woo
> The author is solely responsible for this message.

Jim King

uucpnet address:   uw-beaver!uw-entropy!king
Internet (arpanet) address:    king@entropy.ms.washington.edu
Bitnet address:
king%entropy.ms.washington.edu@beaver.cs.washington.edu

James King
Dept of Math
Univ of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195

gae@osupyr.UUCP (Gerald Edgar) (12/14/87)

In article <3643@ames.arpa> woo@pioneer.UUCP (Alex Woo) writes:
>a.	Does anyone know of a simple implementation
>	of say the C-version of TeX or the original pascal version?
>	I would like to feed it a file and have it output a DVI file.

I got ctex to compile under MPW C.  It requires 2 megabytes RAM, though.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar                               TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet
  Department of Mathematics                     gae@osupyr.UUCP

siritzky@acf2.UUCP (Brian Siritzky) (12/15/87)

Does this mean that you have got Latex to work?
Can you give me some info on how you did this and what kind of
memory requirements it has?

	Brian Siritzky
From: siritzky@acf2.UUCP (Brian Siritzky)
Date: 14-Dec-87 13:00 EST
Subject: Mac Ada Compilers now available
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac

This information was announced last week at the SIGADA conference
in Boston. There are now two Ada compilers for the Mac.

Alsys has a version for the MacII with the Unix card installed.
I know nothing about the cost or availability.

Meridian (800)-221-2522 (In CA), has a compiler for a Mac+, SE or II
running under what they call Mac Native OS. (I guess that means MPW?)
Someone who saw this says that it looked good. Has a good debugger and
a decent evironment. So, here's the dirt: They want $1195 for the compiler
and $495 for the debugger!!! Forget it!

I have nothing to do with either of these companies, so please don't
send me any personal replies to this message. I just wanted to spread
the news.

	Brian Siritzky
From: dube@acf3.NYU.EDU
Date: 14-Dec-87 16:14 EST
Subject: Price of House vs. Interest Rates
Newsgroups: misc.consumers.house

From kaplani@csd2.nyu.edu Mon Dec 14 16:11:44 1987
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 87 16:05:23 est
From: kaplani@csd2.nyu.edu (Ira Mitchell Kaplan)
To: dube@acf3
Subject: rates

With all this talk about mortgages and so on, I was wondering which is
more important, carefully checking to make sure the loan rate is good, or
carefully checking that the price of the house is good.
I present two scenarios to illustrate the issue.  I ignore the tax situation,
but the difference between the two in taxes is probably a 2nd order effect,
so what follows should give a good rough sense of the situation.

You have 150000 in the bank.
1.  You buy a house for 150000.  Put down 30K, take out a 30 yr, 10%
    mortgage for 120K.  Leave 120K in the bank at 10%, and pay the
    mortgage monthly with money from the bank account.
    In 30 years, you have the house and the 120K is gone.
    150/10%

2.  House is 160000, but you were more careful with loan.  Put down
    40000, get 30 yr  9% (not 10%) mortgage for 120K.  Monthly payment
    of 965.55  is just about covered by withdrawals from 110000
    in bank, getting 10%  (can withdraw 965.33/month).
    In 30 years, you have the house and the 110K is gone.
    160/9%

So, roughly,  150 for house with 10% loan on 120
 = 160 with 9% on 120.
A reduction of 1% on loan (a rate reduction of 10%: .01/.10 = .10)
covered an extra 10K on house (6.7% increase).

This doesn't complete the analysis, but it does point out, for example,
that you're probably better off searching to save .5% than arguing if the
past owner should pay for this  $400 window repair.

More detailed analysis of this, or variations, would be interesting.
Ira Kaplan   kaplani@csd2.nyu.edu  a guest on this account

From: dube@acf3.NYU.EDU
Date: 14-Dec-87 12:21 EST
Subject: Re: Question about "pink sheet"
Newsgroups: misc.invest

/* acf3:misc.invest / ekwok@cadev4.intel.com (Edward C. Kwok) /  5:36 pm  Dec 11, 1987 */
writes:
on a daily publication call the "pink sheets". It's really printed on pink
paper, I've seen one of them. Many of these stocks have very few market
makers. The experts are, of course, Blinder Robinson, Stuart James, First
Jersey and so forth.

Ira Kaplan kaplani@csd2.nyu.edu writes:
I don't remember the details but for some reason Forbes mag refered to
Blinder Robinson as "Blind `em and Rob `em" so beware.
Ira, a guest on dube's account
From: dube@acf3.NYU.EDU
Date: 14-Dec-87 16:15 EST
Newsgroups: misc.invest

From kaplani@csd2.nyu.edu Mon Dec 14 16:11:44 1987

From: tmy6405@acf3.NYU.EDU (Ted M. Young)
Date: 14-Dec-87 11:30 EST
Subject: Re: More or less
Newsgroups: rec.humor

That sounds very similar in logic to the following:

The more you know, the more you forget
the more you forget, the less you know
the less you know, the less you forget
the less you forget, the more you know.

-- Ted M. Young

tmy6405@acf3.nyu.edu (you're on your own for other nets!)

From: mckenney@acf2.UUCP (Alan Michael McKenney)
Date: 14-Dec-87 15:28 EST
Subject: Re: Are Past Participles Dead ?
Newsgroups: sci.lang

In <61800001@convex>, tchrist@convex.UUCP writes:

>>            ... , I had never swam in my life.
>                               ^
>  I have this suspicion that American English is losing its past
>  participles.  I am continually being mis-corrected for using them
>  in the United States, much to my consternation.  Interestingly enough,
>  in England the same does *not* occur; indeed, the general populace
>  uses past participles and does so correctly.

As an American, I have not had the impression that past participles
were going out of fashion.  I have heard the phenomenon you describe:
I had a roommate a few years ago who came from an Italian-American
community in eastern Pennsylvania, who invariably used the past instead
of the past participle in his speech (he must have done better in
the papers he wrote, as he seemed to get good grades.)  Since I have
no idea who or what or where convex.UUCP is, I can't guess what
sort of people you run into.  Here in New York, a large fraction of
the population lives in ethnic communities whose accepted version
of English is highly colored by the native languages of the people
who settled there, and since many (most?) New Yorkers have little
sustained contact with people outside of New York or even
their communities (and that goes for the Upper Class, too!), it
wouldn't surprise me to hear that they would assume that their version
of English is the only right one.  Aside from the roommate, I don't
know of any American dialect which doesn't distinguish between
past and past participle--even Black dialect does.

   As for *b(r)oughten, I have never heard it (unless from a young child),
but I have heard "brung", which I associate with Appalachia (I grew up
in Virginia.)
                              ...!cmcl2!acf2!mckenney        (USENET?)
Alan McKenney        E-mail:  mckenney@acf2.nyu.edu          (INTERNET)
Courant Institute,NYU         mckenney%acf2@nyucimsa.bitnet  (BITNET)

To: tchrist@convex.UUCP: if you would post a path from a backbone
or INTERNET site, people (e.g., me) could E-mail to you.
From: dube@acf3.NYU.EDU
Date: 14-Dec-87 13:31 EST
Subject: Re: My Need For Womanspace
Newsgroups: soc.women

In article <15753@felix.UUCP> jsf@felix.UUCP (Jeff Freedman) writes:
>In article <2530@arthur.cs.purdue.edu> jenkins@arthur.cs.purdue.edu (Colin Jenkins) writes:
>>As long as these men don't treat *you* as
>>a sex object after returning from a T&A place, what is your complaint?
>
>So if my fellow employees go out and beat up a few Jews, but then come back
>and say,  "Don't worry Jeff, you're a good guy, not at all like THEM", then
>I shouldn't let it bother me?

Ira Kaplan  kaplani@csd2.nyu.edu  a guest on this account, responds:
Here's my point of view.
The essential thing is whether the man considers women to be *only* sex objects
or does he consider women as real persons that have a sexual aspect?
I consider myself more feminist than the average US male, and it bothered
me a bit when I realized the extent to which I notice what women around me
look like when I take the train.
But then I contrast this with the fact that if introduced to a woman, I
could speak to her for hours and later have no recollection of what she
looks like below the neck.
I smuggly congratulated myself for being able to see women both ways.
I can't guarantee the attitudes of the person originally refered to,
but I would say that many men can respect women as people even though
they engage in these activities.*

*I only refer to men that may try to be fair on a personal level, but
are essentially non-political.  Such a person could reasonably justify
the action to themselves.  A more activist or politically minded male
feminist would probably recognize the social harm done in supporting
such establishments economically, and more generally with their presence.
From: dube@acf3.NYU.EDU
Date: 14-Dec-87 13:43 EST
Subject: Erotic Literature
Newsgroups: soc.women

A while ago during some discussions on pornography and so forth, a few
examples of erotic literature for women were discussed which the net-people
seemed to have a very favorable reaction to.
My wife's birthday is around the corner, so could you please tell me
what it was (Ladies Home Erotica?) and where I might get it? (I live in
NYC, so it should be easy 8^) )
Please email to me at    kaplani@csd2.nyu.edu
Thanks,
	Ira Kaplan

ross@goanna.oz (Ross Wilkinson) (06/27/88)

We are planning to buy either TeXtures or MacTex. Does anybody have
experience with both? What are their limitations?

Thanks in advance. Please mail me directly. (ross@goanna.oz)