[comp.sys.mac] Mac II questions

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (03/29/88)

It's here - only 1 Meg (3-4 months for SIMMS!) but it's here!!!!!

I do have a couple of questions.  I know that someone asked this not
so long ago, but (I blush to admit) I wasn't paying attention.  Where
does the programmer's switch go?  Just like the old Macs, Apple includes
the little thingy without a single word as to where to put it.

Could someone also please tell me what the Color menu does.  That, too,
isn't mentioned in the documentation.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
UUCP: ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop
BITNET: JHARRY@BENTLEY

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (04/01/88)

You asked about two things:

1) The location to put the programmer's switch.
A) Easy enough. It goes on the right side near the back, and two of the
   ventilation slots are taller, and will accomidate it. Note: Believe it
   or not, Apple Customer relations will answer this on the phone (I have
   called and gotten some typical User group type questions answered now,
   such as the serial number cut-off on the new fans, (F749... and later).
    They now seem to have more answers available for the average Joe, so
   we can now again refer people there instead of ripping our hair out...)

2) The use of the Color Menu.
A) Also easy. Highlight an icon by clicking on it. Then pick a color. The
   icon gets a taste of Ted Turner's special coloizing process, and blammo!
   it becomes colored. You can now select "By Color" from the "View" menu,
   and the icons will be sorted in the order that the colors exist in the
   Color menu. This is very useful for the now crowded System folders, so
   that one can quickly find CDEV's, as an example. Until Apple finds
   some better way of identifying CDEV's and Printer documents (wink, wink)
   this is it.

Hope it helps,

Alex (not really, but kinda representing The Boston Computer Society on the
      West Coast)
-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   - Yoyodyne    -
-  Crown College, UCSC     - UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba- Propulsion  -
-  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    - BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  - Systems     -
-  (408) 426-8869	   - Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  - :-)         -
-			   - so nobody cares what I say.	-	      -

bytebug@dhw68k.cts.com (Roger L. Long) (04/02/88)

In article <488@stech.UUCP> sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) writes:
>Where does the programmer's switch go?  Just like the old Macs, Apple
>includes the little thingy without a single word as to where to put it.

Take a look at the right-hand side of the chassis.  See the little vents
along the bottom?  The programmer's switch goes all the way to the back,
mounted in the last several vent slots.

>Could someone also please tell me what the Color menu does.  That, too,
>isn't mentioned in the documentation.

Select something with the mouse (click on it) and then pull down the Color
menu and select a color.  Presto-chango, and the icon you had selected is
now colored!

--
	Roger L. Long
	dhw68k!bytebug

simpson@xenon.UUCP (Charles Simpson) (06/28/88)

I have just purchased a Mac II and I have not chosen the monitor, keyboard,
and printer.  I was wondering if anyone has experience and advice to give,
with respect to buying 3rd party equipment.

If you do, please mail your comments to me.

thanks

charles simpson
Intergraph Corp.
(205) 772-6685