[comp.sys.mac] I just thrashed my Hard Disk!

ericc@a.cs.okstate.edu (Eric Cloninger) (06/14/88)

Ok, now I'm _R_E_A_L_L_Y_ pissed!

Figure this one:  I'm working with LSC 2.15 on my SE HD 20.  I'm writing a
compiler for Mini Language Core (you know, Ledgard and Marcotty, sp?).  So
the parser works just fine, and the symbol table appears to be in order, but
I'm not sure, so I write a routine to dump it (the symbol table).  It appears
to work fine, all identifiers are there, in proper order and with the right
attributes.

Well, I decide to pretty up the output a little, so I changed _one_ printf
statement (swear to gods, I only added two or three spaces), and POOF!

Next time I run the program (in the LSC environment), not only do I get an
unsuccessful parse (where it was correct before), the program jumps into
the debugger (Macsbug).  No problem, I type ES (Escape to Shell), the drive
light turns on.  Ah, I think, going back to the editor.  30 seconds later,
no editor, drive light still on.  Hmmmm.

Anyway, I hit the reboot button, the machine restarts, and then... BOOM!
The machine requests a system disk.  ACK!  Don't panic.  So I stick in a
system disk and I get a dialog box "This disk is damaged (picture of HD 20)
want to initialize? (CANCEL/INITIALIZE)".  I hit cancel.  Floppy disk comes
up, no HD 20 icon.

Disk First Aid can't verify the volume.  Fedit+, MacTools 6.4, and anything
else I can think of can't even find the volume.  After several hours of
asking knowledgable friends what to do, and a lot of messing around with
various utilities, I gave up.  I selected the Initialize button.  I figured
that it would puke as soon as it figured out it was initializing a hard disk.
But NO!  It took 20 seconds and I had 19+ Megs on my HD 20 again.

1) I wrote very damaging code, and I don't have the slightest idea why.
   This very same code (with minor changes to account for volumes instead
   of UNIX pathnames) worked fine on our System V machine.

2) The system didn't realize it was initializing a hard disk.

3) Dr. George isn't gonna believe me when I tell him my hard disk ate
   my program.  I think I'll move to New Guinea or something.

4) And the answer is: NO!  I don't have a backup.

Oop! Ack! Pfht!  This is too bizarre.  Regardless of the recent traffic about
its debated usefulness, is this where MacZap could've been used?

I truly don't know what to think.  At this point, I'm tired and I'm very pissed.
I just wanna get drunk.  If anyone could offer a suggestion, I'll toast your
health.

Chuq?  Rich?  anybody?

Thanks,

Eric Cloninger
UUCP         :  {cbatt,cbosgd,ihnp4,rutgers,seismo,uiucdcs}!okstate!ericc
Internet     :  ericc@a.cs.okstate.edu
USnail       :  219 Math Sciences Bldg., OSU, Stillwater, Oklahoma  74075
AT & T       :  (405) 624-5668
		"Back off, man!  I'm a scientist!" - Peter Venkman.

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (06/14/88)

In article <3599@okstate.UUCP> ericc@a.cs.okstate.edu (Eric Cloninger) writes:
>Ok, now I'm _R_E_A_L_L_Y_ pissed!
>2) The system didn't realize it was initializing a hard disk.
The system didn't CARE whether it was initializing a hard disk.  Once
you hit that "Initialize" button, it's just another volume to initialize.
This is a very important point: The system has no way of knowing that
a hard disk with hundreds of man-hours of un-backed-up work is any
more important than a new floppy.
>Oop! Ack! Pfht!  This is too bizarre.  Regardless of the recent traffic about
>its debated usefulness, is this where MacZap could've been used?
Yes.  I lost the "Volume Info Block" on my HD SC 80.  Situation was
much the same as yours.  "Mac Zap Recover HFS" got me ALL my files
back, except for files which were open at the time of the crash.
Fast, too.  I was back up and running in no time.  But if I had had
any sense, I wouldn't have needed it.

I feel the reason many Mac Backup programs don't get used is that
there is no option to back up a single directory/folder.  Let's face
it, a thirty-volume set with mostly system files and applications on
it is just a pain, especially when most programmers (and possibly many
other occupations) need only to back up a Megabyte or two, on a
consistent basis.  My current solution is:

a)  Use Stuffit or Tar or Shoveit or something to back up documents,
    DAILY!

b)  Keep about three copies of backups for all documents.

c)  Rotate the sets.  Oldest set of floppies gets redone tomorrow.

d)  Never, ever mix binaries in with your document backups.  The
    increase in effort that this causes will cause you to decrease the
    frequency with which you back up important stuff.  Binaries should
    be backed up once, and kept in a separate place from work backups.

Remember:  If you typed it in, you need three copies of it!

This kind of thing has happened to me about three or four times now.
Sooner or later you begin to get the picture that a hard disk is a
TEMPORARY STORAGE DEVICE, and if you look at it crossways once too
often, poof goes your data.

I get depressed reading about this kind of thing.  Please, back up
your work, and keep me happy!
Earle R. Horton, Thayer School of Engineering, Hanover, NH
  I wouldn't mind dying -- it's that business of having to stay dead that
  scares the sh*t out of me.  -- R. Geis

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (06/14/88)

[ Long reply ]

In article <3599@okstate.UUCP> ericc@a.cs.okstate.edu (Eric Cloninger) writes:

>Ok, now I'm _R_E_A_L_L_Y_ pissed!

Yes, I know the feeling...

>Figure this one:  I'm working with LSC 2.15 on my SE HD 20.  I'm writing a
>compiler for Mini Language Core (you know, Ledgard and Marcotty, sp?).  So
>the parser works just fine, and the symbol table appears to be in order, but
>I'm not sure, so I write a routine to dump it (the symbol table).  It appears
>to work fine, all identifiers are there, in proper order and with the right
>attributes.

The operative word here is "Appears"   I have often written something in
LSP and have it appear to work fine when in reality I have done something so
screwy with some pointers and such to have actually corrupted memory.  So, I
get weird errors at places where there should never be errors.   I am sure
LSC can make the same mistakes too.  It can't trap every single bad thing,
some things slip by.  So, you most likely had run it, corrupted your current
memory into something which is barely holding together, ran it again and
then your current instructions were misread by this corrupted memory and did
something other than what you wanted.

>Next time I run the program (in the LSC environment), not only do I get an
>unsuccessful parse (where it was correct before), the program jumps into
>the debugger (Macsbug).  No problem, I type ES (Escape to Shell), the drive
>light turns on.  Ah, I think, going back to the editor.  30 seconds later,
>no editor, drive light still on.  Hmmmm.

Your HD went byebye.  But I do not think that it was damaged.  Often I have
seen HDs go away only because the Parameter Ram (The stuff that stores your
Volume, Time, Date... etc) gets nuked and must be reset.  The HD is fine,
but the PRam isn't.  Open control panel with CMD-OPT down and it will be
reset and, if that was the trouble, voila, HD.

>Anyway, I hit the reboot button, the machine restarts, and then... BOOM!
>The machine requests a system disk.  ACK!  Don't panic.  So I stick in a
>system disk and I get a dialog box "This disk is damaged (picture of HD 20)
>want to initialize? (CANCEL/INITIALIZE)".  I hit cancel.  Floppy disk comes
>up, no HD 20 icon.

This is one symptom of the nuked Pram.  I am not saying it is the only one,
you could very easily have actually written gibberish to your HD when you
tried to Exittoshell with corrupted memory.

>Disk First Aid can't verify the volume.  Fedit+, MacTools 6.4, and anything
>else I can think of can't even find the volume.  After several hours of
>asking knowledgable friends what to do, and a lot of messing around with
>various utilities, I gave up.  I selected the Initialize button.  I figured
>that it would puke as soon as it figured out it was initializing a hard disk.

Why should it?  It is designed to initialize them too.  I use it to init my
HD, no problems there.

>1) I wrote very damaging code, and I don't have the slightest idea why.
>   This very same code (with minor changes to account for volumes instead
>   of UNIX pathnames) worked fine on our System V machine.

I would guess corrupted memory.  Running once seems ok, maybe a simple bug
which is the usual every day forgot a bracket or a missing quote... but your
memory got corrupted by a random bug in the program that LSC missed and when
you next run it... boom.

>2) The system didn't realize it was initializing a hard disk.

It does know, that's how it knew to give you 19+ megs and not 800k.

>3) Dr. George isn't gonna believe me when I tell him my hard disk ate
>   my program.  I think I'll move to New Guinea or something.

Usually people understand.  If they don't, they are damaged, initialize
them.

>4) And the answer is: NO!  I don't have a backup.

Lesson learned... I learned the hard way when I didn't have a back up of my
HD and got the Scores Virus in all its glory on my HD.

>Oop! Ack! Pfht!  This is too bizarre.  Regardless of the recent traffic about
>its debated usefulness, is this where MacZap could've been used?

Yeah ACK!  Bill n Opus in '88!
I do not think MacZap would have done any better than the others.  But don't
quote me on that.

>I truly don't know what to think.  At this point, I'm tired and I'm very pissed.
>I just wanna get drunk.  If anyone could offer a suggestion, I'll toast your
>health.

Check your code very carefully and make sure it is not writing into areas of
memory it should not be touching.  If all else fails, a good Screwdriver or
Fuzzy Navel should do the job.  :-) :-)

>Chuq?  Rich?  anybody?

Chuq, Rich, anybody: please correct me if I got anything wrong or absurd.

>Thanks,

Hope it helps...

>Eric Cloninger

-Andy J. Williams

>UUCP         :  {cbatt,cbosgd,ihnp4,rutgers,seismo,uiucdcs}!okstate!ericc
>Internet     :  ericc@a.cs.okstate.edu
>USnail       :  219 Math Sciences Bldg., OSU, Stillwater, Oklahoma  74075
>AT & T       :  (405) 624-5668
>		"Back off, man!  I'm a scientist!" - Peter Venkman.

Andy J. Williams '90   |Ack Systems: ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu|   _   /|
Software Development   +--------------------------------------+   \`o_O' ACK!
Kiewit Computation Ctr |Hello. Set $NAME='Iinigo Montoya' You |     ( )  /
Dartmouth College      |kill -9 my process.  Prepare to vi.   |      U

g556871349ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0040;0000004278;0;745;352;) (06/15/88)

In article <3599@okstate.UUCP> ericc@a.cs.okstate.edu (Eric Cloninger) writes:
>Next time I run the program (in the LSC environment), not only do I get an
>unsuccessful parse (where it was correct before), the program jumps into
>the debugger (Macsbug).  No problem, I type ES (Escape to Shell), the drive
>light turns on.  Ah, I think, going back to the editor.  30 seconds later,
>no editor, drive light still on.  Hmmmm.
>Anyway, I hit the reboot button, the machine restarts, and then... BOOM!
>The machine requests a system disk.  ACK!  Don't panic.  So I stick in a
>system disk and I get a dialog box "This disk is damaged (picture of HD 20)
>want to initialize? (CANCEL/INITIALIZE)".  I hit cancel.  Floppy disk comes

I see I might be too late but a similar situation occured to me last night
while programming with TP. I have EVEREX hard disks which come with a utility
which rewrites the SCSI blocks (or something) which is called install which
mounts a hard disk which refuses to mount aotomatically. Any way, once the hd
got mounted, I dragged a new system onto the malfunctioning hd and then it
worked as usual. I was doing disk saves when the crash happened. I have no
guarantees that this procedure could work for anyone else. I have only used
MacZap on floppies but I imagine it might have been worth a try on your hd.

| Colin Ong   Department of Land, Air and Water Resources
|             University of California, Davis, CA   95616
|             UUCP: g556871349ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu
| Disclaimer: I make no warranties about my advice and do you really
|             think that the UC would either? No way.

sdh@thumper.bellcore.com (Retief of the CDT) (06/15/88)

You might try checking this:
In at least LSC version 2.01 (don't know about the rest, they've never
sent me anything about updates, and I never bothered to pull them off the
net) there is a bug in malloc().

malloc looks something like this:

char *
malloc(size)
unsigned short size;
{
	return(NewPtr(size));
}

The problem here is that NewPtr() expects a long not an unsigned short.
Casting it to a long will fix this.
(ie: return(NewPtr((long)size));  )

>>=========================================================================
>>		"Back off, man!  I'm a scientist!" - Peter Venkman.
		"Back off, man!  I'm a computer scientist!" - Steve Hawley

Steve Hawley
sdh@bellcore.com
hawley@oberlin.edu

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (06/15/88)

In article <3599@okstate.UUCP> ericc@a.cs.okstate.edu (Eric Cloninger) writes:
> Ok, now I'm _R_E_A_L_L_Y_ pissed!
>
>> 2) The system didn't realize it was initializing a hard disk.

Well, Apple has done something entirely praiseworthy in the System 6.0
release.  If the disk-initialization package tells you that a disk is
unreadable, and you click one of the buttons that will initialize the
disk, a warning box pops up and informs you quite clearly that "This
process will erase all information on this disk!"  You must click the
"Erase" button to permit the initialization to continue.

So, if you didn't realize that "initialize" means "erase the world!",
System 6.0 gives you a chance to cancel the operation.  Good move,
Apple!
--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  USNAIL: Coherent Thought Inc.  3350 West Bayshore #205  Palo Alto CA 94303

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (06/16/88)

In article <5676@coherent.com> dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) writes:

>Well, Apple has done something entirely praiseworthy in the System 6.0
>release.  If the disk-initialization package tells you that a disk is
>unreadable, and you click one of the buttons that will initialize the
>disk, a warning box pops up and informs you quite clearly that "This
>process will erase all information on this disk!"  You must click the
>"Erase" button to permit the initialization to continue.
>
>So, if you didn't realize that "initialize" means "erase the world!",
>System 6.0 gives you a chance to cancel the operation.  Good move,
>Apple!

Hear hear!!!  It is about time!  That was always, to me, the biggest
violation of the Interface Guidelines that Apple ever made.  In fact,
it is one of the only violations that they have made of their own guidelines
that I can think of.  But, anyway, thank god!  I have worked as a Mac
Consultant (loosely speaking) helping people learn the Mac, getting them to
realise that Initialize = erasure was a chore... most don't really
understand until they have lost some rather important data.  Thank God it
has been fixed... now, maybe, fewer master thesis (theses?  thesi?) will be
destroyed accidently.

Good going Apple!

-ajw

Tim_M_Dierks@cup.portal.com (06/16/88)

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) writes:
>some things slip by.  So, you most likely had run it, corrupted your current
>memory into something which is barely holding together, ran it again and
>then your current instructions were misread by this corrupted memory and did
>something other than what you wanted.

I was under the impression that it was [ok, well, not impossible, but difficult]
to corrupt your project or Lightspeed C while your program is running, because
neither one of them is resident in memory at the time- your program gets
compiled,
and the _Launch trap is used to run it.  Because it gets sublaunched, it returns
to Lightspeed C when it's done.  Unless you specifically write the CODE
resources
back out, it should be really hard to corrupt your code for a second run.
(Blowing
the system away is an entirely different matter.)

"Look Ma! I wrote a program that drops into MacsBug!  And it does it so well!"

Tim Dierks
Tim_Dierks@cup.portal.com - dierks@ndmath.uucp - c4tkg3@irishmvs.bitnet

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (06/16/88)

Don't blame the bad alert box for causing the novice to reinitialize
their disk!

..........................FLAME ON!!!!!.............................
It's scandalous that Apple provides AN EXTREMELY POOR SCAVENGER (disk
first aid) with their machine.  This is a sign of professionalism, and
Apple *isn't* *professional*.  Apple looks like a bunch of hackers to me!

Even Xerox knew from the start that a powerful scavenger was a
necessity for a personal computer.  They designed it INTO THE
HARDWARE!  Now they emulate it all in software.  Apple would do VERY
WELL to copy this, and improve the capabilities of Disk First aid.

Changing the error message is a pathetic attempt to bandaid a broken
dike.  When the user has read the manual, tried every available
avenue, and nothing works, OF COURSE HE REINITIALIZES THE DISK!!!  For
gode's sake, how are you supposed to know that MacZap or Disk Clinic
may help, when it's not documented ANYWHERE?????

Get with the program, Apple.
.........................FLAME OFF!!!!!!.............................

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
            {gillies@cs.uiuc.edu}

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (06/16/88)

In article <76000227@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Don't blame the bad alert box for causing the novice to reinitialize
>their disk!
>
>..........................FLAME ON!!!!!.............................
>It's scandalous that Apple provides AN EXTREMELY POOR SCAVENGER (disk
>first aid) with their machine.  This is a sign of professionalism, and
>Apple *isn't* *professional*.  Apple looks like a bunch of hackers to me!
>
> [excessive flaming deleted]
>
>.........................FLAME OFF!!!!!!.............................
>
>Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
>            {gillies@cs.uiuc.edu}

Apple's disk first aid serves it's purpose.  When you have a damaged
disk, you try it.  When it works, it works.  When it doesn't, you're
no worse off then when you started.  It won't corrupt your disk
any more than it already is.  Try saying that about MacZap.  You
can't.

Sure, it would be nice if there was an end-all and cure-all for
damaged disks, but there isn't.  People will always go spilling
coffee on their disks, then go putting them in drives, and doing
generally stupid things.

Ken

Ken Hancock                        |    UUCP: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Personal Computing Ctr. Consultant |  BITNET: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
__________________________________/ \____________________________________
DISCLAIMER: If people weren't so sue-happy, I wouldn't need one!

phil@Apple.COM (Phil Ronzone) (06/16/88)

In article <76000227@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>..........................FLAME ON!!!!!.............................
>It's scandalous that Apple provides AN EXTREMELY POOR SCAVENGER (disk
>first aid) with their machine.  This is a sign of professionalism, and
>Apple *isn't* *professional*.  Apple looks like a bunch of hackers to me!

Not yet having my caffeine in the morning, I am compelled by a
feeling of [nasty feeling best left unexpressed] to add fuel to
this flame. This is no doubt engendered by having spent last night
fixing an Eagle disk drive with mucho new bad blocks off an Emulex
controller. Doing this for a friend does not make that unpleasant
task any easier. The power glitch that got the Eagle totally warped the
shoebox on the SUN. Ever try adding a second shoebox on a 3/50? Without
manuals.

Thus, upon reading the above flame, my unstoppable reaction is of course
to say "back up that gasoline tanker and open 'er wide ...".

The better reaction is ask if indeed is not the rest of the world
(that are selling products, not RD nowhere efforts) much worse?

And the best reaction is to sigh and realize that the promise of
the Macintosh easy-to-use interface makes us all want easy to use
computers. And if we don't get it in some feature, we bitch. However,
if this particular flame was addressed by Apple with intensive software
hardware efforts, involving close melding of disk drivers, disk firmware,
and so on - someone would then bitch that it's hard to add on their
el-cheapo Taiwanese "wonder disk drive" and that Apple does this closed
hardware/software design blah-blah-blah ...

So you want easy to use computers? And like maybe we all lose our jobs? :-)
Philip K. Ronzone  A/UX System Architect
Apple Computer MS 27AJ 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd. Cupertino CA 95014
{amdahl,decwrl,sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft}!apple!phil
"In A/UX Release 4.0, /bin will still be there ...." P. Zigbooli

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (06/17/88)

Well, my flames have died down.  Really, all I wanted to say was:

"It is technically possible to provide a self-repairing filesystem on
industry standard disk drives.  Xerox does this today with their
cedar/dragon file system, and perhaps also with their 6085 Pilot O/S.
I wish Apple would do it too.  Since the main idea is to add
redundancy to the file system, this can probably be accomplished in an
upwards-compatible way.  It would complement the 'easy to use interface'
with a 'safe to use operating system'."

"Furthermore, Apple's 'Disk First Aid' program seems to be technically
weak.  It has *never* recovered a bad floppy disk for me (out of about
5).  I have recovered some files using some cleverness (I ran DiskCopy
until it choked, & then read the copied floppy).  I think Apple should
supply a more powerful recovery utility (nearly as powerful as MacZap)
since most users assume that when 'Disk First Aid' fails their disk is
trashed beyond repair."

Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801      PHONE: 217-244-0432
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,ihnp4,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Paul G. Nevai) (06/17/88)

I know there is a key combination which let's one observe what Disk Firts Aid
is doing. I forgot it. Any help?

Paul Nevai                                pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu
Department of Mathematics                 TS1171@ohstvma.BITNET
The Ohio State University                 73057,172.Compu$erve
Columbus, OH 43210                        1-(614)-292-5310.office
U.S.A.                                    1-(803)-292-4975.secy

blknowle@uokmax.UUCP (Bradford L Knowles) (06/17/88)

In article <76000227@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Don't blame the bad alert box for causing the novice to reinitialize
>their disk!

[silly comments deleted...]
>Changing the error message is a pathetic attempt to bandaid a broken
>dike.  When the user has read the manual, tried every available
>avenue, and nothing works, OF COURSE HE REINITIALIZES THE DISK!!!  For
>gode's sake, how are you supposed to know that MacZap or Disk Clinic
>may help, when it's not documented ANYWHERE?????
>
>Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
>            {gillies@cs.uiuc.edu}

Give me a break!  Brain-damaged users who don't read manuals and assume
that software will say "hmmm, this is a hard disk, even though he told
me to intialiaze it, I won't..." deserve what they get.

Wake up and smell the flowers, folks.... "Intialiaze disk" *REALLY*
means "Intialize disk" (and wipe out everything on there).

I'll admit, Apple could use a better file-recovery program (like, maybe
they could buy the rights to SUM), but this is simply a matter of "what
would be nice."

Sorry Don, but people who don't pay attention to what the manuals say,
nor do they really pay attention to what the dialog box says, *NEED* to
have something screwed up really bad so that they won't forget later.

-Brad Knowles

UUCP: ...!ihnp4!occrsh!uokmax!blknowle     ARPA: blknowle@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
SNAIL: 1013 Mobile Circle
       Norman, OK  73071-2522
Philosophy of Boris Yeltsin: "If one wants to be unemployed, one will
	criticize ones' boss.  If one wants to be sent to Siberia, one
	will criticize the wife of ones' boss."
Disclaimer: (The above opinions are my own.  They have nothing to do with the
		Univeristy of Oklahoma nor intelligance of any sort. :-)

ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) (06/17/88)

In article <6549@cup.portal.com> Tim_M_Dierks@cup.portal.com writes:

>I was under the impression that it was [ok, well, not impossible, but difficult]
>to corrupt your project or Lightspeed C while your program is running, because
>neither one of them is resident in memory at the time- your program gets
>compiled,
>and the _Launch trap is used to run it.  Because it gets sublaunched, it returns
>to Lightspeed C when it's done.

>back out, it should be really hard to corrupt your code for a second run.
>(Blowing
>the system away is an entirely different matter.)

That is what I meant... I didn't mean corrupting the code, I have never seen
that, I meant corrupting the RAM, the system... all the fun stuff that keeps
your mac up and running without a glich.  Corrupt it, and who knows what
it'll do... usually system error/macsbugs.  But every so often...

-ajw

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (06/17/88)

In article <602@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Paul G. Nevai) writes:

>I know there is a key combination which let's one observe what Disk Firts Aid
>is doing. I forgot it. Any help?

Once you open Disk First Aid, just hit command-S and you will see an
additional window that will report the progress of the checking that Disk
First Aid goes through, and also gives a report that the repair has been
completed.

I wish this window would give more specific info about the problems that were
found, though.  I think it would be interesting to see if the things that need
repair are consistent or if new problems are always cropping up.

Jim

--

Jim -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)  {Standard disclaimer, nothin' fancy!}

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) (06/18/88)

In article <8910@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> ack@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Andy J. Williams) writes:
>violation of the Interface Guidelines that Apple ever made.  In fact,
>it is one of the only violations that they have made of their own guidelines
>that I can think of.  But, anyway, thank god!

  1) I agree that apple putting in the erase dialog was a good move.

  2) One other area where the finder doesn't follow the Apple Guide Lines is
     where you are suppose to scroll to the "active" area of a document if it
     is off screen.  Doesn't it bother anyone that you can create a new folder
     and then spend years looking for it because the finder won't scroll to
     where it is when you start to type it's new name?

  3) This isn't a flame for Andy, it's just an observation that his comment
     caused me to think about.

--
David M. O'Rourke

Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (06/19/88)

>I know there is a key combination which let's one observe what Disk Firts Aid
>is doing. I forgot it. Any help?

Press Pretzel-S and a small window will pop appear.  As Disk First Aid
examines your disk, it will tell you exactly what it is doing.

-Ted

dorourke@polyslo.UUCP (David O'Rourke) (06/19/88)

In article <602@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> pgn@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu.UUCP (Paul G. Nevai) writes:
>I know there is a key combination which let's one observe what Disk Firts Aid
>is doing. I forgot it. Any help?

 Command-S will do the trick.  I just love back doors don't you!

 Hope this helps.
--
David M. O'Rourke

Disclaimer: I don't represent the school.  All opinions are mine!

benjamin_kuo@pedro.UUCP (Benjamin Kuo) (06/28/88)

I run a Macintosh BBS in Salt Lake City, Utah, and that is _THE MOST_
common problem for new users-- about 2 or 3 new users a month have that
problem.  No one reads their manuals, and they all hit INITIALIZE.

nakata@Jessica.stanford.edu (Lance Nakata) (06/28/88)

In article <76000235@uiucdcsp> gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>"Furthermore, Apple's 'Disk First Aid' program seems to be technically
>weak.  It has *never* recovered a bad floppy disk for me (out of about
>5).
>
>Don Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
>1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801      PHONE: 217-244-0432
>ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,ihnp4,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

In my experience using Disk First Aid, I've found that it works best on a
sector copy of a damaged disk (too bad there's no way to sector copy a hard
disk).  Candidates for DFA are those disks that come up "damaged",
"unreadable", or "not a Macintosh disk" when inserted into a drive.  When
you see one of these messages, it's time to bring out your favorite sector
copier and duplicate the disk.  Don't use bit copy mode; it's too good and
just transfer errors.

MacZap Recover HFS 5.0 (now Symantec Utilities for Macintosh) is the next
best bet if DFA fails.  However, when DFA works, it works *well*.

Lance Nakata
Instruction and Research Information Services
Stanford University
nakata@jessica.stanford.edu