[comp.sys.mac] Help with BINHEX please...

tcianflo@nugipsy.UUCP (Tom Cianflone) (06/16/88)

We want to convert MacDraw files to ASCII so we can archive them
on UNIX tape along with the rest of the documentation files.
This would allow us to archive everything on mag tape, and not
have to also archive a floppy along with it with the MacDraw
files on it.  I'm told we can do this with BINHEX.  Also, we
are told we can later reconvert the ASCII files back to MacDraw
files, to edit them later.

We have BINHEX5.0 and also 4.0.  Unfortunately, we don't have
any information on these programs. The 'Application --> Upload'
selection looks like it's the Binary to ASCII conversion, and vice
versa.  For archiving on UNIX we probably want to use the 'Add Line
Feeds' option. (How does this sound so far?)

And finally, what is the 'Text Filter' option for?

Any help greatly appreciated.
--
=>      Regards, Tom Cianflone (tcianflone@gould.UUCP)      <=
=>   ...!{uunet,sun,pur-ee,brl-smoke}!gould!tcianflone      <=

walter@garth.UUCP (Walter Bays) (06/17/88)

In article <1187@nugipsy.UUCP> tcianflo@nugipsy.UUCP (Tom Cianflone) writes:
>We want to convert MacDraw files to ASCII so we can archive them
>on UNIX tape along with the rest of the documentation files.
>I'm told we can do this with BINHEX.

Why not just use Xmodem or Kermit to transfer the binary files to UNIX?
Xmodem/MacBinary will transfer the resource fork as well as the data fork.
Many Mac terminal emulators support this (Microphone II for one).
The Eye Retina Institute in Houston developed MACX, which runs under
VMS.  I don't know if it runs under UNIX.  There are probably other
UNIX/Xmodem/Macbinary packages (which someone will probably now tell
us both about *hope*)
My opinions are my own.  Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.
E-Mail route: ...!pyramid!garth!walter		(415) 852-2384
USPS: Intergraph APD, 2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, California 94303

tcianflo@nugipsy.UUCP (Tom Cianflone) (06/29/88)

in article <743@garth.UUCP>, walter@garth.UUCP (Walter Bays) says:
> Why not just use Xmodem or Kermit to transfer the binary files to UNIX?

Well, here I am following up my own query! Anyway, this was suggested
already, we tried it, and we are now using it a standard practice.
The terminal emulator package we are using on the Mac is called
SmartCom II, and it supports xmodem (MacBinary) just fine. We have
a copy of xmodem we got out of comp.sources.unix some time ago which
also works just fine. This has been a boon to us since now we don't have
to worry about keeping track of Mac floppies when we archive our documents.
And we also skip the extra conversion process of BinHex to boot. Good
way to go, if you need this type of solution. Thanks to all who responded!