[comp.sys.mac] multiple links

olson@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (olson) (06/26/88)

In article <2044@pt.cs.cmu.edu> dtw@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Duane Williams) writes:
>I certainly hope that Apple has the good sense to ignore all this nonsense
>about reincarnating "virtual folders" or creating "clipped together"
>documents and that they will instead enhance the "poor man's search path."

What do people think of allowing a file to be in two folders at one?
This is allowed on Unix systems.  You either have the file be in
two folders with equal status (hard link)
or the file is really only in one folder and the other folder
has a file that says "when you try to access me, instead go
access file *" (soft links)

I find this to be a useful thing for files that I want to access
in different ways, and for trying to simulate the concepts of
IMPORT and EXPORT in languages that don't have the idea.

I think that such a feature might address some of the concerns
that brought up the virtual folder.  I also think a good search
path is also needed.

Todd Olson
olson@helios.tn.cornell.edu

DN5@PSUVM.BITNET (D. Jay Newman) (06/29/88)

I think that the idea of multiple links is a very good one.  I would like to
have the applications that I use alot on the desktop, but also in their
proper places in my file stucture.  Resedit is one that I can think of.

It seems that part of the code to implement this is already in place.  When
I put something on the desktop, it does disappear from its folder (and
nothing can find it there), but when I select the app and choose "Put away"
from finder's menubar, it goes back where it was.  I would like to see this
extended such that I could have it BOTH on the desktop and in its folder
(without having two copies!).

                             Jay, etc...