[comp.sys.mac] Mac II freezes: Mouse dead

reeck@lclark.UUCP (David Reeck) (06/29/88)

	I have had my II for about 9 months. It has gone `on the blink' severa
l times (say 4) for as long as 3 or 4 days and then miracously (sp) become
alive again. The symptoms of the problems were, the II would start (it sounded
like the hard disk mounted anyway) and then the monitor would break into
convulsions of black, horizontal, sta lines. Eventually it would go black.
No time to do anything. I had to restart it with the programmers switch just
to get it to turn off.I took it to the shop here on campus and they couldn't
figure out what was wrong with it, everytime I took it down there it would run
just fine. The last time it happened it happened for about 2 weeks strait. I
finaly took it down there, and it ran fine. I brought it back and tried hooking
it up in various configurations because it was still broken when I got it back.

	The problem was the mouse. I have an A+ optical now, and things are
fine. If your mac should act up, try removing the keyboard and mouse and
restarting, then add the key board and try again. This has happened on 2 Mac
II's around here ( I watched `em both) and a swap of keyboards/mouses has
fixed both on all occasions. Am I re-documenting a well know `feature', or
does this only happen on this campus?

			Thanks
			Dave

bach@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Baskaran Subramaniam) (06/29/88)

In article <262@lclark.UUCP> reeck@lclark.UUCP () writes:

>alive again. The symptoms of the problems were, the II would start (it sounded
>like the hard disk mounted anyway) and then the monitor would break into
>convulsions of black, horizontal, sta lines. Eventually it would go black.
>to get it to turn off.I took it to the shop here on campus and they couldn't
>figure out what was wrong with it, everytime I took it down there it would run

We have a couple of MacIIs in our lab with 5Megs on RAM on each and 40MB
and 80MB on hard disks respectively.  One of these machines (with 40MB)
started giving similar problems.  Sometimes, the screen wouldn't even start up
and work just fine afterwards.  But, after a while it started hanging up quite
arbitrarily.  The hardware maintenence people on the campus took it to their
shop saying that the problem was with the logic board and it took them more
than a month to bring it back.  It worked fine they brought it back but
4MB out the 5MB on RAM was gone.  They said it was found damaged ( !??! can
things like this happen? some please advise me ).  After a few days the machine
started behaving the same way again!  When its behavior becomes intolerable, I
would open its cover and remove the video card press all the chips ( I don't
know why I do that; mere superstition! ), then put it back, then it would
work fine for a few more days without giving any problems.  And, I will have to
repeat the same ritual to get it going again, after a few days.  Did any of
you on the net have similar problems with the MacIIs.  Does any one know what
is wrong and how to fix it?

Baskaran Subramaniam.