[comp.sys.mac] DEC LN03R to Mac

mkkam@wael.cs.uh.edu (Francis Kam) (06/29/88)

Did anyone connect a Mac (SE or II) to a PostScript laser printer (such
as the DEC LN03R) using RS-232?  The problem is that I don't have any
driver other than the laserprep and laserprinter drivers on the system
disk.  I made a cable using the -Tx and -Rx (instead of the +Tx and +Rx
pins which're told for Appletalk) pins to connect the two but when I
choose LaserWriter in Chooser, it asks for AppleTalk.  It seems to me
that I can either buy a driver that uses RS-232 or brute-force AppleTalk
into RS-232 which I don't know whether it would work.

If anyone knows any public domain drivers for RS-232 on Mac or the
source, or have done anything like this, please help.

Thank you.

-------------
Francis Kam                           Computer Science Department
Internet: mkkam@sun1.cs.uh.edu        University of Houston
CSNET:    mkkam@houston.csnet         4800 Calhoun
Phone: (713)749-1748                  Houston, TX 77004.

cyosta@taux01.UUCP (Yossie Silverman) (06/30/88)

In article <779@uhnix1.uh.edu> mkkam@wael.cs.uh.edu (Francis Kam) writes:

>Did anyone connect a Mac (SE or II) to a PostScript laser printer (such
>as the DEC LN03R) using RS-232?  The problem is that I don't have any

Sure.  Call APDA and get ahold of APDA#KMS002 Aysnchronous LaserWriter Driver
package.  It consists of a LaserWriter driver which can be configured to
drive a modem, a direct connect rs232 line and a host of other possibilities.
I have played with it and it seems to work just fine, though when we haven't
managed to convince it to work when connected via a PRINTMASTER box (lets two
computers talk to one printer using timeouts and xon/xoff to keep them from
mixing up their output).  We are still working on it.  I also fear that I
will have to wait longer for updates of the standard laserwritter to the
asynch laserwriter.  But it does seem to work.  Imagin, a DIALUP laser-
writer!! You could produce the output, but you couldn't see it till someone
delievered it.  How about, call up the campus, start the output, driver over
arriving just as it finishes.. Ah, well, enough babbling, I hope this helps.

--
Yossie Silverman                                   What did the Caspian sea?
National Semiconductor Ltd. (Israel)				- Saki