[comp.sys.mac] Using Mac as a terminal for Sun3/160C

bach@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Baskaran Subramaniam) (06/30/88)

I have a question regarding connecting a Mac SE to the serial port on the
SUN3/160 computer.  Can I connect the serial port on the Mac to the serial
port on the SUN and use a terminal emulation software like kermit to use the
Mac as a terminal?  I could do this with an IBM PC/AT and it worked fine and I
could transfer files between the two machines.  But I don't know how to do this
on the Mac.  Can someone please help me with this problem?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Baskaran Subramaniam

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (06/30/88)

In article <1562@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> bach@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Baskaran Subramaniam) writes:
:I have a question regarding connecting a Mac SE to the serial port on the
:SUN3/160 computer.  Can I connect the serial port on the Mac to the serial
:port on the SUN and use a terminal emulation software like kermit to use the
:Mac as a terminal?  . . .

I do this all the time with my Mac Plus and VersaTerm talking to a Sun
3/50.  Works like a champ (at 19200, yet).

Standard disclaimers about products mentioned apply.

	/JBL

UUCP: {harvard, husc6, etc.}!bbn!levin
ARPA: levin@bbn.com

David_Alan_Newman@cup.portal.com (07/01/88)

> I have a question regarding connecting a Mac SE to the serial port on
> the SUN3/160 computer.  Can I connect the serial port on the Mac to the
> serial port on the SUN and use a terminal emulation software like kermit
> to use the Mac as a terminal?  I could do this with an IBM PC/AT and it
> worked fine and I could transfer files between the two machines.  But I
> don't know how to do this on the Mac.  Can someone please help me with
> this problem?

I would like to add that MicroPhone II can handle the task with no
problems. The VT100/102 emulation is very reliable now. It works like a
champ with VI, EMACS, All-in-One, etc. MicroPhone II's Kermit is fast,
robust, supports Kermit server client commands, and batch transfers.
Additionally, you'll have at your disposal, very a powerful scripting,
yet very English like language.

Dave Newman

david_alan_newman@cup.portal.com

Disclaimer: I work for Software Ventures, which is the manufacturer for
MicroPhone II, so of course I'm biased.