[comp.sys.mac] cms drives and system 6.0

tow@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Robert Francis Tow) (06/21/88)

Over the last several days a number of people have sent me private email on
the subject of cms drives and their failure to boot with Apples new system
release (6.0). There does indeed seem to be a problem, not only with the 80meg
drives but also with the 140meg drives. It definitely is not an illusion. In
two cases the drives in question are used as file servers, and have been
reverted to the previous release.

Should I receive news of a fix, I shall post it.

Rob Tow
Member Research Staff
Electronic Document Lab
Xerox PARC
3333 Coyote Hill Road
Palo Alto, CA 94304

(415)-494-4807

tow@xerox.com

isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ken Hancock) (06/30/88)

In article <915@parcvax.Xerox.COM> tow@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Robert Francis Tow) writes:
>Over the last several days a number of people have sent me private email on
>the subject of cms drives and their failure to boot with Apples new system
>release (6.0). There does indeed seem to be a problem, not only with the 80meg
>drives but also with the 140meg drives. It definitely is not an illusion. In
>two cases the drives in question are used as file servers, and have been
>reverted to the previous release.

You can add NOVA hard disks to the list of SCSI hard disks which don't
work with System 6.0.

                   +--------------------------------+
                   | This disk is damaged.  Do you  |
                   | wish to initialize it?         |
                   |                                |
                   |          Cancel         Ok     |
                   +--------------------------------+

That's not my idea of compatible.  :)

Ken

Ken Hancock                        |    UUCP: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Personal Computing Ctr. Consultant |  BITNET: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
__________________________________/ \____________________________________
DISCLAIMER: If people weren't so sue-happy, I wouldn't need one!

tim@ism780c.isc.com (T.W."Tim" Smith, Knowledgian) (07/01/88)

I have a SCSI disk driver that works fine under systems before 6.0.
With 6.0, there are several problems:

	1. Choosing "Erase Disk" from the Finder brings up a
	dialog asking if I want to make this a single sided
	or a double sided disk.

	2. Dragging the disk to the trash from the Finder does
	not unmount the disk.

	3. Calling DIZero from an application to initialize the
	disk fails.  DIZero returns error -108.  The same application
	running under system 4.2 initializes the disk as expected.

Problem #1 only happens to disks using my driver.
Problem #2 occurs both with my driver and Apple's driver.
I forgot to check #3 under Apple's driver.

Before anyone asks, I can't give away my driver.  It is based on source
code from a driver a friend of mine did under contract to someone else,
and I obtained that source because I helped test his driver.  Thus, my
driver is derived from his, and can't be given away.
--
Tim Smith				tim@ism780c.isc.com
"I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the