[comp.sys.mac] I need numeric address for sumex-aim.stanford.edu

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (06/30/88)

Sumex is at 10.0.0.56

Don't forget to "cd info-mac" once you log on.
And if you do an "ls", prepare to wait for a LONG TIME
before it finishes!

-Ted

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (07/02/88)

In article <870177@hpcilzb.HP.COM>, tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:

> Sumex is at 10.0.0.56
> Don't forget to "cd info-mac" once you log on.
> And if you do an "ls", prepare to wait for a LONG TIME before it finishes!

several mistakes and problems:

SUMEX has 2 addresses:

10.0.0.56       sumex-aim.stanford.edu sumex.stanford.edu
36.45.0.87      sumex-aim.stanford.edu sumex.stanford.edu

you should reach it with the command "ftp sumex.stanford.edu"

to get to the Macintosh-directory you do "cd <info-mac>"

NEVER do a "ls" or "dir" to do a directory listing.  it takes foreever,
especially as there are NO SUBDIRECTORIES !!!

to get the latest directory-listing, you do a "get 00DIR.NAMES",
to identify the basic help-files, do a "dir 00DIR.*"

supposedly, there is a nightly job recreating the directory listings in
files:
	00DIR.NAMES
	00DIR.VERBOSE
	00DIR.RECENT
file
	00DIR.ANNOTATED  is a rather incomplete annotated listing of the files.

if you have never checked out the archives at SIMTEL20.ARPA you may find this
a more "pleasant" experience as files are archived in subdirectories there,
ordered by topic.

if you enjoy the benefits of the archives, don't forget to drop a thank-you
note to INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX.STANFORD.EDU and/or RTHUM@SIMTEL20.ARPA,
respectively as well as to the contributers of the individual files which
are, usually, identified within.  because if we don't get the feedback that
people appreciate and benefit from our work, we are less and less likely to
find the time to continue maintaining them.  Especially Robert "Bob" Thum
(rthum@simtel20.arpa) is an "unsung hero" of our times, who created and
maintains the archives single-handedly, I believe, in spite of a profession
and carreer which has little to do with computers and which takes him on many
out-of-town travels.

to help you get started, I'll post a log of an FTP-session in a following
article.

PS:  SIMTEL is at the following address (though you should not need that):

26.0.0.74       simtel20.arpa

send Email to:    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)

(when RASCAL is sick, try werner@astro.as.utexas.edu  or werner@utastro.UUCP)