[comp.sys.mac] Third party keyboards for the Mac

engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) (06/18/88)

Has anyone used third party keyboard with the Mac?  I've heard of one
called the Keytronic 101 or something like that which is supposed to be
equivalent to the Apple Extended Keyboard and comes with a good macro
program to use all the extra keys.  Are there any others which people
recommend? I'm simply not that fond of Apple's keyboards and I've used
almost all of them from the Apple II on.

                                           Thanks,
                                              Adam

The same offer stands with this request - email me enough and I'll post a
summary to the net.  Thanks ....

--
Adam C. Engst					engst@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
             					pv9y@cornella.bitnet

atchison@hpindda.HP.COM (Lee Atchison) (06/21/88)

I use the DataDesk 101 Keyboard (just got it about two weeks ago).  It is
REALLY nice.  It doesn't have a control key, but I don't miss it.
Otherwise it is really smooth to use and feels good.

However, the macro program that comes with it isn't very good.  It is a
desk accessory (not an init) which you HAVE to run in order to use any
of the extended parts of the keyboard (like, the arrow keys, for instance).
You have to run this DA in every application that you launch (a real
pain).  I threw it out and I use Quickeys instead.  Quickeys comes with
a special INIT which activates the DataDesk 101 keyboard!!!!  No DA
necessary.  Plus Quickeys by itself is a very nice program for using
the function keys, etc.  I would DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY, get Quickeys
if you buy the DataDesk 101 keyboard.

BTW, I use the non-ADB version of the DataDesk on a Mac+.

I have no connection with whoever it is that make Quickeys or DataDesk....

			-lee

----
Lee Atchison
Hewlett Packard, Business Networks Division
Cupertino, CA 95014
atchison%hpindda@hplabs.hp.com

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (06/28/88)

In article <6500034@hpindda.HP.COM> atchison@hpindda.HP.COM (Lee Atchison) writes:
>I use the DataDesk 101 Keyboard (just got it about two weeks ago).  It is
>REALLY nice.  It doesn't have a control key, but I don't miss it.
>Otherwise it is really smooth to use and feels good.

Just out of curiosity, is there an "extended" keyboard out there with
the control key in the right place (i.e., next to the 'A')?  Apple's is
in a supremely stupid place, and it seems the DataDesk 101 doesn't have
one at all.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,

pollock@usfvax2.EDU (Wayne Pollock) (06/29/88)

In article <444@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
>In article <6500034@hpindda.HP.COM> atchison@hpindda.HP.COM (Lee Atchison) writes:
>>I use the DataDesk 101 Keyboard (just got it about two weeks ago).  It is
>>REALLY nice.  It doesn't have a control key, but I don't miss it.
>
>Just out of curiosity, is there an "extended" keyboard out there with
>the control key in the right place (i.e., next to the 'A')? ...

The DataDesk 101 (ADB version) is indeed a very nice keyboard, but you're
wrong; it *does* have a control key, between the arrow cluster and the
right hand shift key (you hit it with your right pinkie instead of your
left).  The keyboard comes with a macro utility, but I prefer Quickeys.

Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)	pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu
Usenet:		...!{ihnp4, cbatt}!codas!usfvax2!pollock
GEnie:		W.POLLOCK

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (06/29/88)

In article <444@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:

>Just out of curiosity, is there an "extended" keyboard out there with
>the control key in the right place (i.e., next to the 'A')?  Apple's is
>in a supremely stupid place, and it seems the DataDesk 101 doesn't have
>one at all.
>
>--
>   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
>   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."
>   {uunet,cmcl2}!esquire!sbb    |                           - David Letterman

Not that I really want to start a massive netwar on the human factors of key-
boards, but why is 'next to the "A"' the right place for the control key?  I
suspect it is only because that is the way it was on the keyboard you learned
on.  Personally, It makes sense to me to cluster modifier keys together,
and the only place you can do this is the way its done on the extended keyboard
(also, I think its imperative that they appear on both sides, not just one.).

I use my machine as a Terminal more than for anything else, and having used
Quickeys to redefine my option key as a true Meta key (for emacs), I really
prefer having the control (and squiggle) and option keys clustered together.

Just my thoughts.

Josh

-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-9515   (school office)

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (06/29/88)

In article <1095@usfvax2.EDU> pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu.UUCP (Wayne Pollock) writes:
>In article <444@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
>>In article <6500034@hpindda.HP.COM> atchison@hpindda.HP.COM (Lee Atchison) writes:
>>>I use the DataDesk 101 Keyboard (just got it about two weeks ago).  It is
>>>REALLY nice.  It doesn't have a control key, but I don't miss it.
>
>The DataDesk 101 (ADB version) is indeed a very nice keyboard, but you're
>wrong; it *does* have a control key, between the arrow cluster and the
>right hand shift key (you hit it with your right pinkie instead of your

You may BOTH be right.  The DataDesk 101 that I have does NOT have a control
key.  Even in the place you mentioned.  I even tried it.  It is labeled
"option", and acts that way.  The key to this apparent mystery:  My keyboard
is the non-ADB one, for a Mac Plus.
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Avoid BrainDamage: MSDOS - just say no!

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (06/29/88)

In article <1095@usfvax2.EDU> pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu.UUCP (Wayne Pollock) writes:
>The DataDesk 101 (ADB version) is indeed a very nice keyboard, but you're
>wrong; it *does* have a control key, between the arrow cluster and the
>right hand shift key (you hit it with your right pinkie instead of your
>left).  The keyboard comes with a macro utility, but I prefer Quickeys.

Thanks for the info, but this is truly a goofy place to put the control
key.  I have enough trouble switching back and forth between emacs and
vi at work; let's not start moving keys around on top of that.

So the question remains, is there an "extended" keyboard out there with
all the keys in the right places?

--

atchison@hpindda.HP.COM (Lee Atchison) (06/30/88)

>/ hpindda:comp.sys.mac / pollock@usfvax2.EDU (Wayne Pollock) / 11:42 am  Jun 28, 1988 /
>In article <444@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
>>In article <6500034@hpindda.HP.COM> atchison@hpindda.HP.COM (Lee Atchison) writes:
>>>I use the DataDesk 101 Keyboard (just got it about two weeks ago).  It is
>>>REALLY nice.  It doesn't have a control key, but I don't miss it.
>>
>>Just out of curiosity, is there an "extended" keyboard out there with
>>the control key in the right place (i.e., next to the 'A')? ...
>
>The DataDesk 101 (ADB version) is indeed a very nice keyboard, but you're
>wrong; it *does* have a control key, between the arrow cluster and the
>right hand shift key (you hit it with your right pinkie instead of your
>left).  The keyboard comes with a macro utility, but I prefer Quickeys.
>

>Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)	pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu
>Usenet:		...!{ihnp4, cbatt}!codas!usfvax2!pollock
>GEnie:		W.POLLOCK
>----------

The ADB version of the DataDesk 101 has a control key, the non-ADB version
doesn't.

I'm using the non-ADB version......

			-lee
----

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (06/30/88)

In article <5223@super.upenn.edu> hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Josh Hodas) writes:
>Not that I really want to start a massive netwar on the human factors of key-
>boards, but why is 'next to the "A"' the right place for the control key?  I
>suspect it is only because that is the way it was on the keyboard you learned
>on.

This is true, although the real reason is that I have 2 other keyboards at
work, and that's where the control key is on both of them.  Like I said, I
have enough trouble going between emacs and vi occasionally; let's not
compound the problem.

--

g-golub@rocky.cs.wisc.edu.CS.WISC.EDU (Joshua Golub) (07/02/88)

In article <449@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
>In article <5223@super.upenn.edu> hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Josh Hodas) writes:
>>Not that I really want to start a massive netwar on the human factors of key-
>>boards, but why is 'next to the "A"' the right place for the control key?  I
>>suspect it is only because that is the way it was on the keyboard you learned
>>on.
>
>This is true, although the real reason is that I have 2 other keyboards at
>work, and that's where the control key is on both of them.  Like I said, I
>have enough trouble going between emacs and vi occasionally; let's not
>compound the problem.

And a small voice from the back said. . .
Actually, I find the Apple extended keyboard layout extremely friendly, and
very, VERY compatible with the other keyboard I use regularly, which is
found on one of that nameless blue corps model-80s.  The key layout is
EXACTLY the same, with the exception that the Apple keyboard has an OPTION
key. But then, there's a reason the two are so similar, isn't there.
    Now if only the functiounality of the blue keyboard could be brought into
line with this one. . .

Disclaimers and signatures are for frequent posters -- I don't want to
be remembered.

phssra@emory.uucp (Scott R. Anderson) (07/02/88)

In article <5223@super.upenn.edu> hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Josh Hodas) writes:
>In article <444@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
>>
>>Just out of curiosity, is there an "extended" keyboard out there with
>>the control key in the right place (i.e., next to the 'A')?  Apple's is
>>in a supremely stupid place, and it seems the DataDesk 101 doesn't have
>>one at all.
>
>Not that I really want to start a massive netwar on the human factors of key-
>boards, but why is 'next to the "A"' the right place for the control key?  I
>suspect it is only because that is the way it was on the keyboard you learned
>on.

Granted, where the "right" place is ultimately depends on the user, but
"next to the 'A'" is the position used on most of the popular terminals
around, e.g. vt100 and clones.  This is what I have been using for years,
and this is one of the reasons I got the Apple standard keyboard instead
of the extended.

>Personally, It makes sense to me to cluster modifier keys together,
>and the only place you can do this is the way its done on the extended keyboard

I would point out that the shift key is also a modifier key, so on the
standard keyboard, they *are* clustered together: control, shift, option,
down the left side (now if they would just get rid of the caps-lock and
make the option key double long...).

>(also, I think its imperative that they appear on both sides, not just one.).

I agree, this is one advantage of the extended keyboard.

*                                     Scott Robert Anderson
  *      **                           gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **                   phssra@emoryu1.{bitnet,csnet}